• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how bad will it be??

maryrm

Mouseketeer
hi all,

just spoke to a rep at DLH...we are staying there on 8/23 - 8/27 (arrive tuesday leaving saturday). How crowded will the parks be during that time? I know its "summer" so it will be tough. I thought some schools return early hence us booking later in August. Any tips for crowds? We are going w/our 4 & 9 year old. I guess the best thing we can do is "prepare" ourselves emotionally for the crowds and have fun! Any other tips you found helpful?

thank you.

mary

I just returned home two weeks ago from DL with my kids 5, 3, and 1 1/2. The lines seemed long to me. My best suggestion would be do not go into the park thinking that you will get to do EVERYTHING. Take your time and enjoy the momments with your children. Don't forget to take regular breaks to eat. My kidos get really moody when they are hungry. Remember it's a vacation.

There are many, many school districts in SoCal and all seem to run on different schedules, there is the unblocking of the passes, the post D23 hangover and the new rides will be up and running with locals trying to catch a Disney fix before the end of the summer.
As previous stated, the best thing to do is relax and go with the flow, no one knows what will actually happen. Have fun and good luck.

Jack

Our local school district returns on August 11th. So Corona/Norco kids will be back in school. However, you will be there when the local AP are allowed to go. You will be there during the week so it shouldn't be too bad. Just get there early, grab all the FP you can, and use single rider when you can. You'll be fine. :)

dizneyday,

you said we will be there around the time when the "local ap are allowed to go." are these anaheim people and are they not allowed to go other times?! i'm sure i'm way off here...what do you mean?

thanks to you & everyone for the feedback - it has been most helpful.

mary

I agree with everyone. Make a list of the must-dos and nice-to-dos so you can concentrate on going on the attractions that interest you most. Also, avoid running back and forth across the park - in my experience, that just takes up more time.

We're taking my ex-mother-in-law to Disneyland tomorrow. She hasn't been there since '94, and a lot has changed since then. So, I want her to enjoy the best without wearing her out. I'm planning out our day so we can visit both parks and concentrate on the attractions she would enjoy most. :flower:

Southern California residents can get a cheaper annual pass but with more block out dates. So yeah, alot of the annual passholders around at time will mostly be locals, but not just from the Anaheim area.

disney momma81,

we can move things around to early august if you all think it would make a difference. we may get hit w/a ticket charge for flights but would be willing to deal with that...would first 2 weeks of august be lighter? i noticed there is a special running from disney re: discounts those weeks...didn't know why?

mary

I was warned about the local AP holders. We are going Aug 15 - 19 & I believe we just miss it. :goodvibes

I'm not going to sugar coat this. It is going to be CRAZY busy. We went that week a few days the last 2 years and I keep asking myself why we do it lol Because the SoCal APs are finally able to return after many long weeks of being blocked out. It was insanity. Hot and crowded beyond belief. However there is one thing that will save you and this is being there at rope drop. Locals usually pile in around 10. So if you get up early every day and take advantage of those empty early hours you'll feel better about the rest of your day. Also this will allow you go take a nice long afternoon rest and return in the evening refreshed. Use your FPs and just smile because you're at Disneyland. Saturday will probably be your least crowded day :) We'll be there on Friday the 26th celebrating my son's first birthday!

We went last August just before the SoCal AP holders could come back to the parks, and it was really nice. Crowded but not insane. (We've been there during complete gridlock in both September and October.) We went early, collected FPs in the morning, used them in the evenings, and even saw WoC twice (both times red section though). It was a GREAT trip!

I would seriously recommend changing to before the SoCal block is lifted, if you can. That is the first thing I look at any longer because there are just so many of them, and they'll all be hankering to come ride the new rides after a long summer of being blocked out.

If costs to bump your visit up a bit aren't too much and you don't mind the cost I say yes, visit earlier in August - we visited 4th of July weekend and Thanksgiving weekend last year and had fantastic visits *crowds were minimal ~ why - because APs are blocked! We'll be back for Thanksgiving again this year!

wow,

its really that bad?! i thought that the last weeks of august would be better b/c some kids go back to school! okay, thanks so much...i may just move the vacation - when exactly does the AP lift begin???

thanks so much - you guys really helped - you must just have saved our vacation.

mary

wow,

its really that bad?! i thought that the last weeks of august would be better b/c some kids go back to school! okay, thanks so much...i may just move the vacation - when exactly does the AP lift begin???

thanks so much - you guys really helped - you must just have saved our vacation.

mary

The lowest level of AP can start visiting again on Monday, August 22nd, but the level above them can start visiting again on Sunday, the 21st.

I'm not going to sugar coat this. It is going to be CRAZY busy. We went that week a few days the last 2 years and I keep asking myself why we do it lol Because the SoCal APs are finally able to return after many long weeks of being blocked out. It was insanity. Hot and crowded beyond belief.
I agree, it will most likely be a miserable experience. Hot (eh), humid (bad), crowded (worse), and filled with rude, entitled Annual Passholders (worst).

Get there as early as you can in the morning if you want any part of your visit to be enjoyable.

thanks all. well, we will try to change our flights but if we can't, we just have to go that week. here we were thinking it would be best b/c some schools have gone back...oh well! just going to take your tips & remind ourselves we are on vacation! i will keep you posted. if there is anything else anyone can add, please do.

thanks again

I agree, it will most likely be a miserable experience. Hot (eh), humid (bad), crowded (worse), and filled with rude, entitled Annual Passholders (worst).

Wow! speaking of rude.....

I have never found it humid compared to the East coast. It is warm and we do have an AP and we are 1200 miles away. I have never felt entitled about anything just do not like going when the SoCal passes become unblocked.

Jack

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter