How bad is ToT, really?

MickeyandDonaldsBFF

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! Quick question. So I'm on a quest to ride all the rides at Disney world and I see Tower of Terror is on the list:eek:. Anyway at first I thought it looked absolutely terrifying:scared1: but then I got on youtube and watched the ride and it didn't look so bad:confused3..But then one of my friends rode it and said it was awful and she's a thrill rider! So now i'm confused and I wanted to know how bad is it, really?:thanks:

Hello everyone! Quick question. So I'm on a quest to ride all the rides at Disney world and I see Tower of Terror is on the list:eek:. Anyway at first I thought it looked absolutely terrifying:scared1: but then I got on youtube and watched the ride and it didn't look so bad:confused3..But then one of my friends rode it and said it was awful and she's a thrill rider! So now i'm confused and I wanted to know how bad is it, really?:thanks:

I love Rn'RC and EE, but one time on ToT was one time too many!
Imagine being pulled straight down, faster than the speed of gravity, then shot back up like a rocket. Over and over and over.
Freakin' torture. :scared1:

I thought TOT was fantastic, but I had ridden "free fall" rides at amusement parks before. If you get queasy easily though, I can see how it would not be too good.

My DD did it at 3 (she's super tall) my mother won't touch it. DD hates the motif - too creepy for her -- so she closes her eyes until the real ride starts. She's ridden it 12 times at DL and 10 times at WDW... still talks about it!

If you like the free-fall feeling, it's one of the best. The theme is well done but not too scary and the ride is a great adrenaline rush. It does tend to drop more than once per ride and some scenarios will have bigger drops than others (it's all random).

I hope you decide to ride it and, if you can, definitely drop into the Hollywood Hotel at night. ;)

I'll tell you one thing for sure, though. Even though I would never ride ToT again, I :love:love the queue!
One of the best queues anywhere.
The theming is fantastic and I happily walk through with friends who will ride and I just tell the loading CM I'm not riding and leave through the "Chicken Exit", which ironically is an elevator! :eek:

Well, I wouldn't want to deny anyone that first-time, 'How-bad-is-this-going-to-be' anxiety while standing in line -- it's part of the experience! Even more so with ToT, which is all about the build up to the drop sequence...

That being said, it's been my oldest daughter's favorite ride at WDW since she was five. My four year old gets to go for the first time next week!

That being said, it's the most terrifying, near-death experience I've ever had, repeatedly. I can't believe it hasn't been declared illegal and shut down.

That being said, we ride it over and over and over when at DHS, and can't get enough. We love it.

That being said, I think over a thousand people have died on it since it opened. They just leave the bodies in the drop shaft...

That being said...

Okay, sorry - I'll stop. ;) While it's impossible to say how "bad" someone else may think it is, it's in all liklihood not as bad as you're probably making it out to be (but again, that's part of the fun - the anticipation and build-up). Unless drops really make you sick, it's actually not that violent. You owe it to yourself to experience ToT, at least once.

I don't do rollercoasters, so I avoid RRC, SM, BTMRR, EE (which I may try this year), and yet, I will do TOT. I guess because it is straight up and down, no twists and turns, no going backwards. I close my eyes once we start going up and down...and I will only ride it once a day. But because I live next to Rod Serling's hometown, I feel obligated to ride it once a day when we are in DHS.

It is a great ride that appeals to some and not to others. No one of knowing for yourself unless you give it a try.

My roller coaster loving DS6 made me ride it, even though I have a "thing" about elevators (my DH flatly refused - he hates thrill rides of all types). I thought it was great fun, but my DS6 turned white as a sheet and declared that it was really awesome and that he never wanted to ride it again! :rotfl2:

My DS6, 4 at the time, loved the ride. He is not a big thrill ride kid either. I thought it was pretty tame, but I'm a thrill-seeker.

Well, I think the biggest thrill of Tower of Terror is not even the drop. I can't even do that part anymore because of an injury but I always do the walk through and take the express elevator out of there? Why? Because the preshow is so perfect to set things up for everything. The entire area is themed so well. The lobby is so detailed, library is amazing, the boiler room is spooky. And that's BEFORE you even get into the elevator. Tower of Terror is simply a total mind, well, you know. And when you are in the elevator but before the drop, it's still a mind, you know. And then when you do drop, you don't know how you are going to drop (and maybe not even drop at all at first).

Tower of Terror is a complete attraction, not just a dropping ride.

IMO, it's the best ride in any theme park on the planet. My daughter has been riding it with me since she reached the height requirement at the age of 4.

If she can do it, you can too.

I love Big Thunder and Space. I rode RnRC for the first tine in 2008 (wont do it again)...Splash freaks me out and EE the drop scares em every time. I rode TOT for the first time this year...TWICE.

The first time through the queue I refused to speak to any one in my group and was praying the entire time for strength to conquer this fear. When they sat us we were in the middle with a row for three. I sat all the way against the wall. The handles and the seats in front were to far away for me to squeeze myself under. I turned sideways and grabbed onto the wall. The first drop caught my breath in my chest. I hated the drops down and after a while I could not tell the difference between up and down.

Right as they were showing the beginning of the ending film we were shot back up and dropped again.

I got off shaken, but I was able to get back on a second time and thought the same thing. It was scary... but its less than a minute. Try it at least once, but don't let the music and queue get to you... its beautiful and wonderfully done, but intended to scare the poop out of you.

The "intensity" is mostly smoke and mirrors or psychological. The actual ride is not at all intense. You rarely drop more than about 40-50 feet at a time. It just goes up and down a few times. Not a big deal if you can get out of your head that it is.

Me and my daughter did this last trip, finally, for the first time!
I'm a wimp, and she is not.
The ride itself was really cool and we really liked it.... except for the drops. Both of us HATED that feeling in our stomachs during the drops. For me, it was to the point of it being painful. Maybe we're just odd ones or something. If weren't for that horrible feeling, would do it again!

My DD did it at 3 (she's super tall) my mother won't touch it. DD hates the motif - too creepy for her -- so she closes her eyes until the real ride starts. She's ridden it 12 times at DL and 10 times at WDW... still talks about it!

If you like the free-fall feeling, it's one of the best. The theme is well done but not too scary and the ride is a great adrenaline rush. It does tend to drop more than once per ride and some scenarios will have bigger drops than others (it's all random).

I hope you decide to ride it and, if you can, definitely drop into the Hollywood Hotel at night. ;)

:lmao::lmao:My DD is 17 and she still closes her eyes for the parts up to the actual drops! Of course, this is what her father tells me. As I don't ride:rolleyes1. I am a true chicken when it comes to ToT!:headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter