• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad is the water?

It’s filtered for drinking by Disney.

Many people think it’s fine. I think it’s vile. But then I think most CA water is vile. I liked it from the tap at my friends place in rocklin, but their water is a separate system than others. Anaheim water in particular is so gross. And a lot like Orlando’s IMO.

But again, many people think it’s fine.

And FYI waters like dasani and Aquafina are just filtered municipal water. Just like what you can get at Disney. So if you’re going bottled, get actual spring water like Zephyr Hills.
I live very near Anaheim and don’t notice the water...maybe we will be fine with tap?

You are flying to Orlando, yes? I've read that to offset the greenhouse gas emission for one passenger on a coast-to-coast flight you'd have to recycle about 30,000 bottles of water. So in terms of the environmental impact of your trip, the plastic bottles you could buy are - pardon the pun - a mere drop in the bucket.

Brita filters definitely help. But we just buy bottled water from a grocery delivery service.

Every little bit helps. I believe it is my responsibility to do what I can, where I can, to help. And reducing plastic waste is part of that.

I think we’ll plan to fill our reusable bottles. We’ve never had a problem with water, so we’re likely used to poor quality LA water.

Are we able to fill our bottles at the pop drink station? Or do we need a refillable mug for water too?

It is safe to drink for a healthy person with no medical conditions, however, it does not taste good.. Filtered water (Brita) or bottled water is the way to go in most parts of Florida..

If you can drink water in most places you visit I think you'll be just fine at Disney. We have never had a problem drinking the tap water there.

It's the worst tap water I've ever tasted across maybe 12 states including (northern) CA. The prior posters who said Orlando water has a sulfur-y taste are spot on. Some locations are better than others across the parks. Some filter the water but not the ice maker supply line, so their ice water tastes fine to start, but gets worse as the ice melts. We bought the reusable Brita bottles with the in-bottle filters and those have been our go-to for Disney ever since.

Last edited:
We live in FL and we don't even give straight tap water to our dog. We have to drink filtered water, a good filtration system makes the water taste so much better. Without filtration the water has an odd sour taste. And when we were in Destin it had an eggy taste.

I think the straight up stuff is almost undrinkable, and I think the filtered water is not much better. And I'm someone who still likes the taste of well water, when I can get it.

I'm not into using a bunch of plastic bottles either, but I make an exception when I'm at Disney World. My system is much happier on the bottled water than it is on the Disney water.

Coming from upstate NY, where we too can drink the water out of the tap, and it's good, Florida water is pretty bad. At a minimum, I would say bring along some of the mio flavoring bottles, and add that. I find that covers up the flavor well enough for me. I often just get cups of ice water at the quick service locations, and dump some mio iced tea flavoring in it, and I'm good to go.

I think we’ll plan to fill our reusable bottles. We’ve never had a problem with water, so we’re likely used to poor quality LA water.

Are we able to fill our bottles at the pop drink station? Or do we need a refillable mug for water too?

At the drink stations, I just fill directly to my water bottle - you don't need to purchase a mug. In the resort food courts, they also have ice machines. I typically fill my bottle up with ice and by the time I make it to the bus stop it's already started melting.

I used to only use a Brita water bottle, that way I could fill my bottle with fountain water and not have to worry too much about it. Well, I've had 3 or 4 Brita bottles have issues with the lid and I got sick of spending so much money on a water bottle. So my last trip, I decided I was going to just try to get cups of ice water when I got thirsty. I didn't last a day before I had to buy a reusable bottle (I'm glad I did, because it's super cute). I always asked for cups of ice water at QS locations and poured the cups into my bottle.
I will mention, I cannot drink the water out of the fountains unless I'm incredibly thirsty and can't make it to a QS location - it is nasty and not usually cold. But the cups of ice water at restaurants and the water out of pop machines is totally fine.

At the drink stations, I just fill directly to my water bottle - you don't need to purchase a mug. In the resort food courts, they also have ice machines. I typically fill my bottle up with ice and by the time I make it to the bus stop it's already started melting.

I used to only use a Brita water bottle, that way I could fill my bottle with fountain water and not have to worry too much about it. Well, I've had 3 or 4 Brita bottles have issues with the lid and I got sick of spending so much money on a water bottle. So my last trip, I decided I was going to just try to get cups of ice water when I got thirsty. I didn't last a day before I had to buy a reusable bottle (I'm glad I did, because it's super cute). I always asked for cups of ice water at QS locations and poured the cups into my bottle.
I will mention, I cannot drink the water out of the fountains unless I'm incredibly thirsty and can't make it to a QS location - it is nasty and not usually cold. But the cups of ice water at restaurants and the water out of pop machines is totally fine.
Thank you. This is just what we needed to know.

I'm from So Cal. I can drink the filtered water at DCA and DLR. I also think the filtered water at WDW (any park and resort, I've been to a few) is fine.

Some places at Disney have worse tasting water than others. Most places taste just fine to us. It seems to vary. Since it's free, we just go buy a bottle if we don't like it at a particular place.

Add me to the list of 'the tap water is fine'! I live in PA and while the Disney water isn't the greatest, I fill my water bottle at the drinking fountains all day long. Some of them are cold; some not. I always ask for a cup of water at the QS places also.

I am not a fan of most tap water anywhere. Most of it tastes like chemicals and chlorine to me. I have several Brita bottles, a Brita pitcher and a countertop filtering unit. At my lake house, I have a full filtration system and a reverse osmosis unit for drinking water and ice. At WDW, I bring my Brita bottles. I have found the counter service water to be acceptable but not preferable. Since I do have great water available at the lake house, I refill any and all bottles with the stuff. I don't throw away plastic bottles. Agree it is wasteful and ridiculous to buy a bottle of water at WDW.

A personal filtering bottle like a Brita would be my choice and it really does work.

We're from KY, and we routinely drink the FL water when we are in Orlando with no problems. We refill our water bottles out of the water fountains, cook with / drink the water from the sink at the resort, etc.

After hearing so many bad things about the water, I took the single serve flavor packets the first trip, but we never used them.

No one has mentioned this, but I have noticed that the tap water hasn’t seemed as bad the past two or three years. I always bought large bottles of Dasani to keep in the refrigerator, not only for drinking but also for brushing my teeth because the tap water was so repulsive. On one trip I needed a drink before I had a chance to get the Dasani and noticed that the sulfur taste was not as pronounced and the water was drinkable. Could be my imagination, could be that Disney is doing a better job of filtering. That being said, I wouldn’t take a drink from a fountain in a park - in my experience they are still really bad.

Brita bottle users here. I am fussy about water taste and Brita has worked great for us. I buy the squeezable plastic ones (not the ones with the straws) and they are easy to clip on cross-body bag or backpack with a carabiner clip. Never bought a bottle of water at Disney yet. Not only does it help with the taste of water, the bottle pays for itself by lunchtime the 1st day with my family and we don't have to carry around a bunch of full bottles during the day.

From Ny.

The water from the Coke Freestyle and fountain drinks is fine. The water from the fountains in the parks, and the taps in the rooms- not so much. It has a weird taste. The water also is weird down here. You never feel like you’re getting clean when you shower, if that makes sense

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter