How bad IS the LaQuinta??

Tinkerwife

Earning My Ears
I notice that everyone keeps saying that the LaQuinta near MCO is awful - how many people have had bad experiences?? Is there anywhere else in the area for around the same rate? I'm going to try to call my travel agent tomorrow and rebook.

We've been there twice for around $25 to $28 via Priceline. The first time was tolerable, although there is nothing to eat around it but a bar/grill and a McDonalds. Also, the rooms open directly to the outside rather than being in an interior hallway. For a cheap rate, I could deal with it.
But the second time, we were put in a non-smoking room that was between two smoking rooms, including one that was connected to ours by an adjoining door! We had unpacked before we realized that the smoking rooms seemed to vent directly into our bathroom area (which could not be closed off). The bathroom towels literally reeked of smoke...it was disgusting. Smoke triggers my allergies, and I woke up breathing through my mouth with a totally plugged-up nose. If we hadn't unpacked, I would have asked for a different room.
In the morning, there was supposed to be a continental breakfast, but the only sign of it was workers carrying the food out to their cars (I couldn't figure that one out). There was a man standing at the desk who had apparently been there for quite a long time. I got in line behind him, and ten minutes later a desk clerk appeared. She apologized, saying she had been feeding her kids. I was SO glad to get out of there!
And don't bother with the McDonald's...we waited 20 minutes for our order to be taken (the woman in front of us, who was waiting for her food, was freaking out because they kept giving her the wrong order). I should have learned my lesson from her experience, but I didn't check, and I discovered that my order was wrong when we got back to the hotel (hubby wisely had bought his food at the 7-11 next door to Mickey D's).
You might want to bid on a three-star hotel via Priceline. That way, you know you won't get the LaQuinta, and you can probably get something for under $30. I just got the Marriott for March for $29. We stayed there last week, and even though they stuck us in a smoking room, it was totally smell-free compared to the "non-smoking" one in the LaQuinta.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I have now booked at the Quality Inn Airport. Is this better? It was actually for a cheaper rate.

Our friends stayed there last April -- the night before they flew home because they had an early flight.

The mom went to get a bucket of ice at 6:30 a.m. and a man followed her back to their room and robbed them at gunpoint.

After it was over and she called 911, the front desk clerk called and was quite irritated that she called 911. Apparently the desk clerk thought it was a prank? She shut up after she was informed that they had just been held up.

What a great way to end a Disney vacation, huh?!
Go somewhere else... and always be aware of your surroundings!

Barb - I seem to remember you saying that there were 2 LaQuintas near MCO, one good and one not so good. We booked thru Priceline in May and stayed at a LaQuinta at MCO that was brand new. The rooms didn't open exterior - they had interior halls. For $30, it was great.

Yes, it was the La Quinta Airport West that Barb recommends people stay away from. The La Quinta Airport North should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter