How bad is New Years?

On New Years Eve, Magic Kingdom will reach capacity and close early in the day. Epcot has great shows and likely won't close for capacity.

it's a crazy busy week but it's better than not going at all.

I can’t comment on experience but have read often it’s crazy. That said I hope to spend my 50th there ( NYE baby). I have the expectation to be jammed packed. I will adjust my expectations accordingly. I will plan an ADR and my fast passes and that’s it. A day or week over Christmas New Year’s for me is not a time where I’m expected to ride and ride and ride. But we have the luxury to go to Disney World many times and have that out of our system. I want to be there on NYE for the atmosphere and fun. Crowds actually pay a positive role in my opinion. I’ve been to time square on NYE was mayham but being part of that crowd was part of the thrill.

If you try to enter MK in the late afternoon it can be a 20 minute wait with stop and go traffic to even reach the gate where you pay for parking

On New Years Eve, Magic Kingdom will reach capacity and close early in the day. Epcot has great shows and likely won't close for capacity.

it's a crazy busy week but it's better than not going at all.

MK might close to guests who aren't staying on property, but hasn't had a complete capacity closure in almost 10 years.

Our family of 5 (myself, DH, DS (20), DD (18), and DS(14) went to WDW for a NYE trip in 2016-ringing in 2017. We had the BEST time ringing in the New Year. We took the advice of many on these boards and went to MK on 12/30 and EP on 12/31. Epcot was one HUGE party!! There were crowds like we have never seen before, but Disney knows how to control the crowds. Long lines for beverages and bathrooms. You have to go in knowing you won't be doing lots of attractions, but with so much entertainment, just take it all in and ENJOY!! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

We went from Dec 19th to Jan 3rd 2014/15. I will never again go for Christmas, but I would return for NYE in a heartbeat!!!! It was amazing! We did MK rehearsal NYE (or whatever it is called) on the 30th and EPCOT on the 31st. Epcot was INCREDIBLE!!!! BEST New Years of my entire life and the most fun I had the whole trip.

Good luck and have fun!

It's gonna be packed. We go every year for Christmas and NYE.

12/31 is unlike anything you've ever experienced. Disney is always crowded now, but NYE is a whole different animal. People show up at rope drop and it stays crowded the entire time. Some will come and find a table or spot to stand for the fireworks from the morning on.

BUT... BUT... once 6 or 7pm comes, it turns from an incredibly crowded park into one gigantic party—especially at Epcot.

My recommendation would be to go to MK on 12/30. They do the exact same show... then go to Epcot on 12/31.

Go early, take breaks in the afternoon, then go back late at night.

FP+s and EMHs are your friend.

Park Hopper is worth it.

If you go to the MK make sure you go at RD ( last year it was 7am for EMH) get all the rides you want to do in before 10 then book your FP for 10, 11, 12 and ( amd plane to wait in the FP line for at lest 30-45 minutes) then plane on staying in one spot to see the fire works ( they have 2 that night) then plane on an hour just to get out of the MK ( not sure how the busses where as I was staying at the Contperary) also plane on it being packed hard to move around.

But if you do not mind a lot of people, a fun DJ playing some good music ( there were 3 at the MK) then go for it

but do not think you will get a lot of rides in or anything like this

Our family of 5 (myself, DH, DS (20), DD (18), and DS(14) went to WDW for a NYE trip in 2016-ringing in 2017. We had the BEST time ringing in the New Year. We took the advice of many on these boards and went to MK on 12/30 and EP on 12/31. Epcot was one HUGE party!! There were crowds like we have never seen before, but Disney knows how to control the crowds. Long lines for beverages and bathrooms. You have to go in knowing you won't be doing lots of attractions, but with so much entertainment, just take it all in and ENJOY!! I would do it again in a heartbeat![/QUOTE

I agree 100 per cent. We’ve traveled to Disney three times during the week between Christmas and New Year’s Eve. With all of the Christmas decorations, shows, parade, events, it’s fun to forget about the long lines for rides and just enjoy the entertainment and food.

thanks for the tips - it does sound fun. We've been at crazy busy times - Easter I think was the worse we've seen where you couldn't move an inch unless the whole mob moved with you. Been Thanksgiving but it wasn't too bad & late July early August when there were no crowds. I'm thinking we definitely will check it out!

Even with the crowds, the CMs spend the afternoon taping the ground to dictate walkways (with directions) and designated fireworks spots. Then spend the rest of the night standing in the middle making sure people are walking on the side they need to be. It really was amazing just seeing how they handled all the crowds.

That being said, lines are long and you can't expect to do everything. We just planned our 3 FPs and ADRs and everything else we got done was icing on the cake! The fireworks are amazing and I agree-- go to MK on the 30th and Epcot the 31st. If you can afford it, do a dessert party at MK (they have it both nights) because it made life a lot more simple and stress-free.

Just make sure you have a solid plan, but try to be flexible as well. Not everything will go right, but that's okay. It's such a magical time to be there and I'd love to go again one day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter