• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad is Mission Space - orange?

Wanted to add that riding Mission Space Orange solidified that I could never have been an astronaut! Hahahaha!

(I heard that when they opened the ride, they had real astronauts ride it to make sure it felt authentic. It did.)

If you don't have a problem with your inner ear and have not shown any signs of motion sickness there will be no problem. When the orange side does the take off or the sling around the moon the g-force is once again activated, but it is very brief but it can take you breath away if you are not breathing deeply enough. Other then that it is just about the same as a coaster. It really did feel real and that is what made it an impressive ride. I have loved Disney for 38 years but the first time I rode Mission: Space when the ride was over I actually yelled out the word... AWESOME! I have never done that with any other ride in the park.

Last edited:
For those who haven't done it since the 2017 update - it's not as bad as it used to be.

I was one-and-done on the initial version of the ride (with Gary Sinese as the host). The 45 minutes of post-ride disorientation (which a CM at the time told me was normal and expected) was enough for me to pass on it again.

The newer version (with Gina Torres) is smoother in-ride, the visual effects are better, and, at least for me, is far more enjoyable. I've done this version multiple times without issue. There's one scene towards the end that makes me a little queasy, but it's just that moment. I don't recall having any major post-ride disorientation with this version.

All of the other advice still applies - look straight forward at the screen at all times.

For those who haven't done it since the 2017 update - it's not as bad as it used to be.

I was one-and-done on the initial version of the ride (with Gary Sinese as the host). The 45 minutes of post-ride disorientation (which a CM at the time told me was normal and expected) was enough for me to pass on it again.

The newer version (with Gina Torres) is smoother in-ride, the visual effects are better, and, at least for me, is far more enjoyable. I've done this version multiple times without issue. There's one scene towards the end that makes me a little queasy, but it's just that moment. I don't recall having any major post-ride disorientation with this version.

All of the other advice still applies - look straight forward at the screen at all times.

That's good to know! I HAVEN'T ridden it since then. Perhaps I should give it another try. (Although I'll do the green one first to try it out!)

i may be an outlier because i did gymnastics for nearly 10 years and i just turned 20 recently, but i LOVE mission space orange. the green one is also fun, but MS orange is by far the most thrilling ride at disney imo. if you get sick easily i would highly advise you not to go on it, if you don't, definitely give it a try! make sure you look forward at all times and you will be fine. the only rough part is the beginning when you are launching into space

My husband has pretty bad vertigo and doesn't go on anything that spins or any coasters that go upside down. He also doesn't like ToT but he doesn't like elevators in general - they can cause the vertigo to act up. He went on orange once and while he was ok after and it didn't trigger it he feels he was just lucky and opted to only ride green from then on out.

If you are prone to motion sickness it can be bad. Of 4 people in our fam, 2 were fine, one threw up after ride and felt sick for hours, and the 4 th (me) felt sick for Couple of hours. The two who were fine can do spinning rides no problem.

I’ve been known to ride Tower of Terror 3 times in a row, followed by RnR. Have also done Everest 3 times in a row. So no motion sickness issues. Mission Space Orange did me in. I was disoriented for 2 or 3 hours, never again. I did try Green on a later trip and was fine.

I got very nauseous for the first time in my life on the orange side. Didn't expect it at all as I didn't know it was a centrifuge when I got on. My s/o didn't get sick at all.

On the other hand, I loved FoP and had no problem while he got sick for hours and refuses to go on that ride again.

I'm another would-be astronaut school flunk out. :( lol

It's... different.
The spin is vertical, like a Ferris Wheel and it can be fine for people who get sick on a merry-go-round. Or it can trigger the all day greens in people that ride the scrambler for hours at a time.

It's a great ride but I confess it leaves me a little off my oats for several hours afterwards.

Definitely do the orange. Rode with two 6 yo and a 9 yo. I’m in my 60’s and hadn’t ridden orange for at least five years but they wanted to try it. It was still a nice ride. They tell you on the ride to look straight ahead and you definitely don’t want to be looking around during the ride or you might get dizzy. All the action is right in front of you anyway. Kids and I give it a resounding “that was cool”!

If you’ve been on a gravitaron or a centrifuge ride before without an issue, try it. I’ve never been on orange because I’ve been on a gravitaron and hated it.

I vote no. I rode it once and got nauseous, although it wasn't terrible and I felt fine after I got off the ride. I am not otherwise prone to motion sickness. I was fine on the green one.

I just want to add, though, that to me it's just not worth it if you even think you might be sick. You're literally sitting there, stationary. It's not really a "ride" to me, TBH. I'd rather spend my time doing something else in Epcot. But that's just me, and I'm admittedly cynical about things like motion simulators where you're just...sitting there lol.

I was a huge fan of Orange for the last 5 rides of my trips. Last one, not so much. I have Vertigo but for some reason, Orange never really bothered me. I'm still on the fence about doing it on our next vacation. Eeeek

I have no problem on MS, cannot do teacups and if FOP was 20 seconds longer I'd have issues but not on MS.

I wear the ear patch for motion sickness and I can ride most rides without problems. Orange destroyed me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter