How are you handling rising food and energy costs?

This reminds me. Apart from cutting quantities, eggs are one thing that companies cannot offer in smaller sizes.

That is until they genetically engineer chickens to lay tiny eggs.
They could sell them as a Layer's Dozen and only include 11 eggs.

This reminds me. Apart from cutting quantities, eggs are one thing that companies cannot offer in smaller sizes.

That is until they genetically engineer chickens to lay tiny eggs.
Actually they currently sort eggs by weight and market them by size. If they wanted to, they could simply reduce the weight (and thus size too) in each category and sell it for the same price thereby reducing the size in each and every category without changing the eggs laid.

The only reason they can't.... Government regulation.

Instacart isn't the value that it used to be either. The prices are higher and the shoppers aren't as good as they used to be. I've had better luck with Fresh Pass at Shaws. Items cost the same if you have them delivered or buy them in person. I can also get more rewards points.

We try to buy in bulk when possible and have multiple freezers to help with that. While grocery shopping today we found 10lb tubes of ground beef for $1.49 a pound and couldn’t pass that up so we bought…a few haha. We will portion them out and freeze them for future use!

We try to buy in bulk when possible and have multiple freezers to help with that. While grocery shopping today we found 10lb tubes of ground beef for $1.49 a pound and couldn’t pass that up so we bought…a few haha. We will portion them out and freeze them for future use!

i have been so tempted at times to get a second if only so i could put premade stuff into one (purchased or just bulk cooking/leftovers) and raw products in the other.

i have been so tempted at times to get a second if only so i could put premade stuff into one (purchased or just bulk cooking/leftovers) and raw products in the other.
It has honestly been one of my favorite things we have done since buying our house! Not only does it give us the opportunity to store leftovers and bulk buy when we see sales, but we also have a vacuum sealer so we pre-portion everything out before freezing and it makes my life so much easier when it comes to thawing things out for dinners!

It has honestly been one of my favorite things we have done since buying our house! Not only does it give us the opportunity to store leftovers and bulk buy when we see sales, but we also have a vacuum sealer so we pre-portion everything out before freezing and it makes my life so much easier when it comes to thawing things out for dinners!

2 of the best ever items we acquired are our vacuum sealer and our meat grinder attachment for our kitchen-aid mixer. i've bought beef and pork on sale so many times and ground it into ground beef and sausage so much cheaper than any sale on those items. buy beef on sale and portion it out into vacuum seal bags to cut up as stew meat (did this last night for beef stroganoff) and saved so much over the price of stew/soup meat.

Do you also have a backup power source? We have an extra freezer and every time we travel I worry about losing power and the food going bad. If we are home it isn’t a problem because we do have a generator.

Do you also have a backup power source? We have an extra freezer and every time we travel I worry about losing power and the food going bad. If we are home it isn’t a problem because we do have a generator.
We have something to alert us if we lose power while away but I don’t really know what it is haha. My husband is a plumber and it’s something he made sure we attached to the sump pump for when the power goes out. So it obviously won’t protect our freezer but at least we will be able to tell if they were down and for how long.

I just froze 5 quart size bags of peppers. They were 50 cents each of the different colors. And one bag of onions.
I found 2 roasts in the reduced that had the date for Monday so I took them along with the one for Tuesday non reduced price. Into the freezer they went.
I bought cereal it was $2 a piece of you bought 4. It was ringing up over $6 individually - don’t know how people are doing it; if they are not paying attention.

Thought of this thread when I saw that a dozen eggs are .99 at my grocery store, regular price. Though prices were never really that high for them here, never saw a dozen for more than 1.99.

Most prices for groceries here don't seem bad at all to me

Something is wrong if the people in the “riches country in the world” cannot not afford food….

I’m sure the solution is well above my pay grade though. (Sarcasm added)

Where I really have noticed a difference in our favorite restaurants. In the past couple of months they have all replaced their plates with smaller ones. They have pretty much held the line on prices, but portions on smaller. I ordered the turkey dinner at IHOP last night, and it looked the size of what the 55+ turkey dinner was.
Another restaurant now has smaller bowls for their soup and chili. What was once their "cup" size is now what you get when you order a "bowl" sized portion. The cup sizes must be tiny now.

i had to grab some stuff at the $1 (and a 25 cents) store this past week and it was CROWDED. allot of people with food products (non perishable stuff) in their carts. i made a comment to one of the staff and they said that people had figured out what days their food deliveries arrived and those days they were always slammed.

gotta say-summery stuff like condiments, relishes and stuff are 50% lower in price there than the best sales at any of the grocery stores or walmart (and name brand).

i had to grab some stuff at the $1 (and a 25 cents) store this past week and it was CROWDED. allot of people with food products (non perishable stuff) in their carts. i made a comment to one of the staff and they said that people had figured out what days their food deliveries arrived and those days they were always slammed.

gotta say-summery stuff like condiments, relishes and stuff are 50% lower in price there than the best sales at any of the grocery stores or walmart (and name brand).
My favorite thing to get at the Door (25) store is the newspaper. Sunday's is the best deal, but around here, the grocery sales flyers are in Wednesday's. Last semester, I looked through them and did the puzzles while DS17 was in his 8am calculus class at the local college (dual enrollment--he doesn't have a license, so I had to drive him).

Thought of this thread when I saw that a dozen eggs are .99 at my grocery store, regular price. Though prices were never really that high for them here, never saw a dozen for more than 1.99.

Most prices for groceries here don't seem bad at all to me
Me too. A dozen jumbo eggs (I bought yesterday) were $1.42.

When I look back to a year ago, things have stabilized. Things are overall higher as with everthing else but the crazy mark-ups due to supply chain issues are gone from last year.. cooking oil went from 4 euros back to 1 euros now.

Saving money on groceries is easy.. Shop by flyers, make a list and dont buy too much packaged, process stuff. For example, buy a sack of whole carrots, wash, peel and slice vs buying those cute bags of pre-washed baby carrots.

I was glad to see Sprouts brought by the 9.99 chicken meal deal, but now it's 14.99 minus one side. The organic coffee I buy from Costco used to 8,99 now it's 13.99. Everything I buy on a regular basis has gone up significantly. I'll be hitting up Sams and Costco this week. I'll see if anything has stabilized since my last visit two weeks ago.

Up until 2 years ago I never gave much thought to grocery shopping. I went every week to buy what I needed, the price didn't change and that was that. Not the case anymore. I guess if you have the time and will to cut coupons and shop for deals you can still find a few.

Saving money on groceries is easy.. Shop by flyers, make a list and dont buy too much packaged, process stuff. For example, buy a sack of whole carrots, wash, peel and slice vs buying those cute bags of pre-washed baby carrots.
Baby carrots are one of the things for which the money saved by buying regular carrots is not worth the time it takes to prepare them. But you can still find the bay of baby carrots for a dollar around here.

I do agree with the sentiment, though!

I was glad to see Sprouts brought by the 9.99 chicken meal deal, but now it's 14.99 minus one side. The organic coffee I buy from Costco used to 8,99 now it's 13.99. Everything I buy on a regular basis has gone up significantly. I'll be hitting up Sams and Costco this week. I'll see if anything has stabilized since my last visit two weeks ago.

Up until 2 years ago I never gave much thought to grocery shopping. I went every week to buy what I needed, the price didn't change and that was that. Not the case anymore. I guess if you have the time and will to cut coupons and shop for deals you can still find a few.
Still lots and lots of great deals here without any effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter