• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How are you handling rising food and energy costs?

It's just as bad over here in the UK. With winter fast approaching I am making huge pots of stew using the cheaper meats (ie: over here it is chicken/turkey) which can be frozen and serve as two or more days dinner, soups and pasta is always the cheap go to meal sausages and mash etc. Also making use of the larger potatoes and making jacket potatoes with cheese/beans or with plain butter or egg and chips (fries). Its also worth looking out for reduced items in the local supermarket, although you often have to use the item that day or the day after you can save a fortune on all sorts of different meats and dairy products.

Also its worth noting that if you can cook in an air fryer (we have a Ninja) cooking costs are a lot cheaper than using a conventional oven.

These meals are a cheap option and a far cry from a nice piece of steak on your plate but we are in a better position than many out there, we have hot food on the table and thank God every day for that
Do you have stores where you can buy in bulk? When I was in London this Summer all I saw was Salsburys and they didn't seem very well stocked. Thankfully I only spent three days in London. The restaurant prices were shocking. A stronger dollar means nothing with inflation. London was more afffordable when I was there in 2019.

The news said egg and poultry prices are particularly high right now because of the bird flu, At least for those items minimizing use of those this winter would be ideal until production can resume and prices return back to normal.

I paid a little closer attention to prices today while shopping, and prices here definitely seem to be quite a bit lower than others are seeing. Guessing that's why I really haven't noticed much of a change.
Half gallon milk $1.69
Dozen eggs $2.25
Chicken breasts $2.69/lb
Ground beef $4.99/lb
NY strip steak (I usually get this once every other week) $7.99/lb
Deli meat still mostly $9.99-10.49/lb
Bacon $4.49 for a standard size pack

I actually shopped at two different stores this week, had to get a few non grocery things at Walmart last night and got a few groceries there as well. The two stores are in different states (I live right on the border) and prices were right about the same at both.

We have been very lucky that DH is still working from home. Gas is at $6.19 right now around us. I have also gone back to my old couponing days when I had three kids at home. Do all the Safeway just for U coupons and go through the mailer and plan meals and stock on sale items. Even thought is it just the two of us now we bought the $7 10-15 pound turkey. Will cook when everyone is home and have turkey sandwiches, turkey enchiladas and Tortillas soup. Will make double batches and freeze for DH later on. We have made it a team sport on couponing and shopping.

We have been very lucky that DH is still working from home. Gas is at $6.19 right now around us. I have also gone back to my old couponing days when I had three kids at home. Do all the Safeway just for U coupons and go through the mailer and plan meals and stock on sale items. Even thought is it just the two of us now we bought the $7 10-15 pound turkey. Will cook when everyone is home and have turkey sandwiches, turkey enchiladas and Tortillas soup. Will make double batches and freeze for DH later on. We have made it a team sport on couponing and shopping.
I'm going to have to learn to do that stuff. We've always lived below our means I've never had to worry about the cost of groceries until now. A splurge was going out to a nice steakhouse. Now is a splurge is buying steak and cooking it ourselves.

Just came back from the supermarket and was once again shocked at the prices. Just one example, was Skippy and Jif Peanut butter was $5.99 a jar….and not the large jars. I used to get it for like $2.50. The store brand was on sale for $1.49 so I grabbed the last one.

I then stopped for gas in the way home and realized it had gone up between 5 and 10 cents literally overnight.

Today is also the first day National Grids new pricing goes into effect for electricity which will be an increase of 65%.

This got me thinking how are people honestly feeding their families, heating their homes, paying for child care, etc. We are extremely fortunate that we are able to absorb these costs without wiping out savings, etc.. My heart goes out to those struggling now and I fear it will just get worse over the winter.

I know I have become much more conscious with our spending and have decided that I am going to try and pick up a few extra things each week and donate it to our local food pantry as well as get better at meal planning.

How are things affecting your family?

Gas is slowly creeping up, around 3.60 to 3.80 a gallon depending on where you stop at, if your over near the parks ( I'm a local and live behind WDW in Winter Garden) the price is much higher.

I find that I am having to make multiple stops to get what we need... so more gas to stop here and there and doing a bunch of running around

I'm a planner, so this skill is coming in handy... I look ahead at whats coming up, I go through the flyers and ad's. Get a plan in my head for meals, sit down and write down a list on paper, for me actually writing something down keeps me more focused. If I am running low on something it goes on the list. The coupon tv shows ruined couponing which I was a serious couponer for years and years... now the only time I really use them is at BJ's which I have gotten some really good deals, as you can still stack coupons there...

Gas at BJ's is the best price right now...

Rent here is Sky Rocketing.... depending on where you are a 2 bedroom can start from 1,600 up to 2,400 a month.. my neighbors good friends son lives in Downtown Orlando and pays 3,000 monthly, for a 1 bedroom... The cost of Homes are still going up and up... Our HOA fees just jumped over 30 dollars a month.. If you want a shock look in a gated community they have doubled or tripled.

I notice some limit sign on certain items at different stores in the past couple of weeks...

Eggland's Best was $5.49 when I was at the store last week! 1 dozen large eggs.
Store brand had a coupon for 2.99

Normally Eggland's is $3.99 here (southeastern NY) and stays around there unless you catch a sale.

Gas is slowly creeping up, around 3.60 to 3.80 a gallon depending on where you stop at, if your over near the parks ( I'm a local and live behind WDW in Winter Garden) the price is much higher.

I find that I am having to make multiple stops to get what we need... so more gas to stop here and there and doing a bunch of running around

I'm a planner, so this skill is coming in handy... I look ahead at whats coming up, I go through the flyers and ad's. Get a plan in my head for meals, sit down and write down a list on paper, for me actually writing something down keeps me more focused. If I am running low on something it goes on the list. The coupon tv shows ruined couponing which I was a serious couponer for years and years... now the only time I really use them is at BJ's which I have gotten some really good deals, as you can still stack coupons there...

Gas at BJ's is the best price right now...

Rent here is Sky Rocketing.... depending on where you are a 2 bedroom can start from 1,600 up to 2,400 a month.. my neighbors good friends son lives in Downtown Orlando and pays 3,000 monthly, for a 1 bedroom... The cost of Homes are still going up and up... Our HOA fees just jumped over 30 dollars a month.. If you want a shock look in a gated community they have doubled or tripled.

I notice some limit sign on certain items at different stores in the past couple of weeks...

That is so weird - it has dropped 40 cents here over the last week! We've been paying more than FL right along, but I just filled up at 3.79 after it being over $4 for weeks.

I heard a news story the other day talking about how rent is one of the major drivers of inflation right now, even moreso than groceries and gas in many metros. I'm not sure if the number they used was local or national, but they said the current year-over-year increase was over 8%, after a 17% jump last year, and that higher interest rates will likely keep that number high in the coming year as well.

i'm jealous on these gas prices-regular here is hovering between 4.50 and 4.70 per gallon.

Eggland's Best was $5.49 when I was at the store last week! 1 dozen large eggs.
Store brand had a coupon for 2.99

Normally Eggland's is $3.99 here (southeastern NY) and stays around there unless you catch a sale.
Wow, I just bought 1 dozen Eggland's Best (X-Large size) for $3.99. It's still holding but next week will be interesting.

I paid a little closer attention to prices today while shopping, and prices here definitely seem to be quite a bit lower than others are seeing. Guessing that's why I really haven't noticed much of a change.
Half gallon milk $1.69
Dozen eggs $2.25
Chicken breasts $2.69/lb
Ground beef $4.99/lb
NY strip steak (I usually get this once every other week) $7.99/lb
Deli meat still mostly $9.99-10.49/lb
Bacon $4.49 for a standard size pack

I actually shopped at two different stores this week, had to get a few non grocery things at Walmart last night and got a few groceries there as well. The two stores are in different states (I live right on the border) and prices were right about the same at both.
That's about what we are here too Although our eggs are cheaper and $4.99 is for 90-10 ground beef. Our 80-20 is cheaper.
The NY Strip price is a sale price. But usually there is some kind of steak on sale. Either Ribeye strip or Tbone all at that price, each getting its turn (never all at once) or Top Sirloin at 5.99.

Hams are in at aldis. 2.69 a pound for the double glazed. MMMM It's a very good one. They also got the 2.49 spiral honey ham and brown sugar ham. What they don't have is the cheap ham and the next one up (Both of those were great for the price too) I got one. couldn't resist. Had it for dinner. MMMMMM. Hope the cheaper ones come in soon. But I really love the double glazed. Boy is that really good.

Chicken is high for chicken at $2.69 for boneless skinless breast and $ 1.49 for legs or thighs. But that's still cheaper than a lot of things and we can get whole chickens for $1.19 a pound. Wings are now $4.49 a pound. HAHAHA Amazing. Those used to be the cheapest part of the chicken. I'm not really a fan of them. But evidently fast food eaters are.

Add a dollar and you're at gas prices where I am. I haven't seen under $5 for a LONG time.

Today, Costco is at $5.03. I paid $5.69 just last week.
Down 60 cents. That's good. We went up an average of less than a cent. But we're only paying $3.29 to start with. So yeah. I'm still glad for you. No jealousy here yet.

That's about what we are here too Although our eggs are cheaper and $4.99 is for 90-10 ground beef. Our 80-20 is cheaper.
The NY Strip price is a sale price. But usually there is some kind of steak on sale. Either Ribeye strip or Tbone all at that price, each getting its turn (never all at once) or Top Sirloin at 5.99.

Hams are in at aldis. 2.69 a pound for the double glazed. MMMM It's a very good one. They also got the 2.49 spiral honey ham and brown sugar ham. What they don't have is the cheap ham and the next one up (Both of those were great for the price too) I got one. couldn't resist. Had it for dinner. MMMMMM. Hope the cheaper ones come in soon. But I really love the double glazed. Boy is that really good.

Chicken is high for chicken at $2.69 for boneless skinless breast and $ 1.49 for legs or thighs. But that's still cheaper than a lot of things and we can get whole chickens for $1.19 a pound. Wings are now $4.49 a pound. HAHAHA Amazing. Those used to be the cheapest part of the chicken. I'm not really a fan of them. But evidently fast food eaters are.

Down 60 cents. That's good. We went up an average of less than a cent. But we're only paying $3.29 to start with. So yeah. I'm still glad for you. No jealousy here yet.

I just ran to the store at lunch to buy several packs of chicken breasts ON SALE for $6.99 a lb. The same ones used to go on sale for $3.99. Granted, there were cheaper options, but I'm picky about chicken and this is a local place and the chicken is always trimmed with none of that gross fatty stuff. Still, it hurts to spend an average of $10 for a package of chicken!

I got lucky yesterday with a 10-lb bag of chicken leg quarters for $5 because they were nearing an expiration date. I simmered them and stripped the meat last night; ended up with 4 lbs of pulled chicken meat and 3 qts of homemade stock. All frozen now, ready for making hearty soups.

We are definitely blessed . We still have about a quarter beef in the freezer. We will get another whole one in March. We also still have around 90 lbs of sausage, 30 lbs of Chorizo, and pork cutlets. We also have access to 40 lb cases of chicken once a month. Prices this month were 1.06 lb for breast,.28 lb leg quarters, .94 lb for whole wings, cut wings .78 lb, and drumsticks .33 lb. We also grew a wonderful garden this summer so the freezer and pantry are full. As I said I know we are blessed but we do work hard for what we have and we share with our families and past the savings on to them.

ok, two months later.....what are you all paying for eggs. I just got a dozen no nothing eggs for $3.91 from Lidi's. I thought the bird flu was from months ago.

ok, two months later.....what are you all paying for eggs. I just got a dozen no nothing eggs for $3.91 from Lidi's. I thought the bird flu was from months ago.
Uh yeah but it takes a while to get back on track in terms of the supply chain. You can't kill off millions and millions of birds (variety of them) and not expect issues. I read an article that said nationally about 5% of all egg-laying hens were removed last year including late into November and December.

There's been multiple articles in the last few days advising don't expect pricing to go down right now. Between the issues with the avian flu and then the holidays. One article I saw said retail might be 3-6 months before pricing adjusts.

There's also an article I saw about laws relating to CO where that could impact pricing. The law being effectively more humane conditions being required over time. So I could see that impacting suppliers who purchase from CO (the article advised expect pricing to continue to increase).

Yep-still high here too. I believe I paid $4.60 for a dozen eggs from Winco on Sunday. They are considered a discount grocery store. I'm in Northern CA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter