How are turkey prices where you are?

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
The local chain is selling their frozen turkeys for 67 cents a pound. Fresh are 97 cents a pound. You are limited to 1 turkey.

Yikes, we ordered a fresh one (Jaindel) and it's $3.09/pound. And I don't even like turkey :crazy2:

I saw in our flyers this week between $.97 and #1.29/lb where I normally shop. Chances are we’ll pick one up for next weekend at half price for ourselves as we’re going to dinner at relative’s house on Thursday.

We spent $.69 a pound on our turkey this year. That's the price if you also purchase $25 in groceries (that's no problem). But the "regular" price was $1.49 a pound.

Aldis was $1.07 for Butterball
Walmart was $.98 for some oddball brand.
I went with Butterball

We earned our free frozen turkey at Shop Rite above. I never checked the regular prices.

One thing about the fresh turkeys in supermarkets, even Butterball ones. They’ve obviously been previously frozen somewhat, but maybe not deeply frozen. As in the past, I noticed today if you knock on them they’re solid in the center. I suppose you need to visit a farm or butcher shop to get a truly fresh turkey.

One grocery store near me has a sale for an off brand for .29/lb. I believe that is with a $25 purchase in the store. Butterball was .79/lb

ETA: the hospital system I work for is nice enough to offer free turkeys to all employees every year (over 6000 employees). I got a 15lb butterball for free, which was very nice.

Last edited:
We get our free ShopRite turkey (not really, I get a breast do pay something). We have thanksgiving mostly catered so we will eat it in the future.

Bought ours for .98 a pound. Bought 2.

Walmart pickup.

Recovering from knee surgery. Can't shop in person this year. So I went for convenience.

And .98 a pound for meat is still cheap!

I'll use the whole bird. Love to make stock and soups.

We aren't having turkey this year, but I noticed that it's 47 cents a pound. Hard not to buy one at that price, but nobody here is a huge turkey fan. Well, I am, but I'm really only in it for the ready-to-nuke leftover dinners we have all weekend, so no cooking necessary. That and the sandwiches: White bread, mayo, turkey, stuffing, jellied cranberry sauce. YUM. That's my favorite way to have turkey- and then turkey soup.

Last spring I made a turkey, just turkey and stuffing, and I realized what a MESS it is to roast a turkey, even without all the side dishes that we'd make for a holiday. I decided if I need my turkey sandwiches, I'll roast a turkey breast and use that for the sandwiches.

I used to work at Jackson Labs in Bar Harbor, and every year every employee had a choice of a ham, a turkey, or a large fruit/cheese tray. I thought that was really nice of them to do this, although a Christmas bonus would have been appreciated, too!

IF YOU CAN FIND THEM-

none of the stores here have anything i consider sales. of the 4 main stores in our area-2 have spend $150 and get a no-name brand free, 1 has spend $150 and get a jenny o for 50 cents off the current price, another makes you spend $75 to get a no name for about 50 cents off per pound.

like i said-that's IF you can find a turkey. the local place i went to was not having a sale but had filled their meat area on tuesday night-$1.99 per pound for butterballs. i went ahead and got one, found out from the cashier that it was a good thing i'd gotten it b/c what was out was all there was-nothing in the back freezers/nothing to restock with. the shortages are so bad they had to cap the pre-made thanksgiving dinner pre-orders to less than half what they normally allow, eliminate any turkey based prepared meats to go, eliminate any turkey sandwiches and such at the deli.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter