How are the restaurants at Portofino & HRH?

goofyfordisney

DIS Veteran
What are your opinions about restaurants at Portofino & HRH? We will be at HRH for 3 days...please give me a few options to choose from!! Thanks!
P.S. we have two sons (8 & 13) that are somewhat picky!;)

Hi goofyfordisney,

Sounds like we might be related. :) :)

DW and I just came back from a great stay at PBH. We didn't try that many restaurants at the hotels but I am writing up a trip report and restaurant reviews now, so I'll post what I have already written on PBH/Citywalk restaurants. (Generally speaking, the Citywalk restaurants are so close to HRH that they could almost qualify as hotel restaurants!) We also enjoyed the Hard Rock Cafe, which I think at least your 13 year old might really like.

Have fun!!

Sal's (Portofino Bay Hotel, dinner; we saw people walking around the HRH with pizza boxes, so I think they might have an equivalent place): This pizza shop, market, and deli was a real surprise that I would recommend to anyone staying at the Portofino Bay Hotel. We spent the second half of our vacation at this beautiful resort, which gave us a complimentary bottle of red (as Loew's Club card members) upon check-in. During our second night at the hotel, we stopped at Sal's and ordered a delicious Pizza Americana (served with mushrooms, sausage, and pepperoni) and a bottle of sparkling Pellegrino to go . Once we got back to our room, we opened the shades to our window reveal a beautiful view of the hotels bays (complete with a water taxis shuttling by every so often) and turned on a television channel that continuously played Italian opera music. This was one our most unplanned meals on the trip as well as one of the nicest and most romantic. Highly recommended.

Overall rating: 9.5/10

Emeril's (Universal CityWalk, diner): Emeril's was one of the biggest disappointments of our vacation. We arrived fifteen minute early for our 8:30 pm reservations but were not seated until about 9pm. At one point the maitre d' stopped over to apologize for the long wait (which we though was nice) and were told that we would be the next to be seated. After two more parties, we were finally shown to our seats. (I guess that they don’t have as many accomodations for parties of two). We were placed in a fairly small side room which kind of resembled a glass-enclosed patio. While Emeril's tends to be a very noisy restaurant anyway, we were positioned between two large and very festive dinner parties. The noise was made even worse by all the glass and confined space. DW and I decided, rather quickly, that at these costs (and having made reservation as far in advance as possible) we would also want to speak at a comfortable level to each other during dinner. So, we asked to be moved into the main dining room. At this point, I was half hoping that would be able to accommodate us and we could leave. However, they were able to find better seats fairly quickly. DW and I both like Cajun food and both like fish so, for us, the big reason for trying this restaurant was the andouille crusted Texas redfish. The dish was very good but costly and didn't quite live up to our expectations. (The andouille was "dusted on" and I couldn't really taste it.) DW had the gumbo of the day (chicken and andouille, I think) and I had the soup of the day (carmelized onion and mushroom?), but both were just average. The service was "professional" acting but I wouldn't say it way very good. According to our bill, our server was called something like "Team 6." What this translated into was that you had a group of servers but none of them seemed to know what the other was doing. Two different people came to take our drink orders, for instance, but it seemed to take an eternity (and a reminder) to actually get them. After we actually received our food, we definitely felt rushed. I'm pretty sure that we spent more time waiting for a table and waiting to be moved than actually dining. At one point, my DW put down her fork and a member of "Team 6" came and whisked away her plate. Luckily, he was able to call to him before it was too late. When we actually finished our meals, another member of "Team 6" came by to make a big deal about we must have REALLY liked the food since we finished our main course. (Is this uncommon enough to really be that much of a surprise?) I tried to remark politely but all I could think of was how I really did not enjoy the atmosphere and how I wish we had stayed at the Portofino Bay Hotel that evening, ordered pizza again and watched the movie that they show there poolside.

Overall rating: 5/10; While my low rating includes value for the dollar, I don't think that we would go back if the meal were free.

Hope these reviews help! :) :)

Those are terrific reviews & I thank you for posting them ! Your report will be very useful on my trip.:)

Goofy about mickey,

Yes...I think that we might be related somehow!

Thanks so much for the reviews--sorry that you had a bad experience at Emerils--we were actually not even considering the place because our kids are SO picky! We probably will try the pizza idea for at least one meal. The Hard Rock Cafe is a must for our kids! We were also going to go to Margaritaville (we are Parrot Heads in our spare time!)

I'm really looking forward to your full trip report--when you get to it! Thanks again:cool:

Thanks goofyfordisney,

Although we didn't make it to Margaritaville for a meal, it did look really neat (with its big ole' volcano and all) as we briefly stopped by during a night of visiting the CityWalk nightspots. Hopefully, somebody else can give you a more informed opinion of this restaurant. :)

We've had very good experiences at the PBH. Generally the food is reasonable (as far as resorts and theme parks go, lol). Children's meals are very well priced and anything you drink tends to be expensive. Mixed drinks averaged $7-$8, freshed squeezed oj was $3.50, etc. We took a break for a couple of meals and ate off property to let the wallet have a breather.

As mentioned, Sal's deli has very good pizza. They also have pricey but huge sandwhiches and a large selection of salads in the deli case. The fruit salad is awesome.

Trattatoria del Porto: We've had the breakfast buffet one morning. It's pretty good but pricey, (a:$15.95 ch: $12.95). My kids defenitely don't eat 13$worth of food but they really wanted to do a buffet (mostly because of the breakfast pastries. Fresh squeezed OJ is not included. We thought this restaurant had the BEST COFFEE on Universal property. The also ala carte items. We have not eaten here at other meal times (someone said they have limited hours, no lunch maybe, on certain days).

Mama Della's: Very italian food, excellent antipasta, incredible timarasu (sp?). Our kids had the cookies and milk for dessert. They thought they were in heaven. Kids meals very resonable $. Excellent service. They will do takeout!!

Thirsty Fish: This is a bar, I think they have a limited menu (we didn't eat there). They also have backgammon and chess sets you can borrow. We sat outside on a warm night playing backgammon and enjoying bass ale.

Gelatto Cafe esspresso: They have baked goods, ice cream and limited breakfast foods (bagels, dry cereal, small containers of milk, fruit). It's very expensive for morning food, we paid around $8 for 2 coffees and a bagel!

At citywalk we ate at Margaritaville. Food was good, Mangoe margaritas are worth the trip to Fla.:D . Nachos are huge!

AT HRH we had

Sunset Grille...Breakfast bar...very good and lots of choices. We had not planned on eating there but were given free breakfast on our last day for the problmes we had with housekeeping. This was right after they opened so we would stay again but did have a terrible time getting an over flowed toilet cleaned up. My DH ended up cleaning the floor at midnight after 2 day of trying to get housekeeping to do it

Palm..dinner. We had waited the 2 nights beofre for every for tables at CW so deicded to see if the Palm could take us quickly. We were seated at once. The food was very good but a bit pricy. Portions are huge. For a family of 4 we ordered 3 entrees and 3 sides and had a lot of food left over.

City Walk

Margarettaville..very good food, a bit loud and festive.

Pastamore'..good basic Italian food, reasonable prices and huge protions. Ordered the family meal for 4 , and took desert back ot the HRH. I was very suprised at the amount of deserts that came with the meal. We had 2 large to go boxes filled with pastries, cheese cake etc.

NBA city...very good food and suprisingly nice atsmophere. Not over done in bastkeball stuff excet for the big screen tv.

IOA...Mythos, well this was the best meal of our trip food , service and atsmophere wise. Highly reccomend

US...Monster Cafe....was not impressed with food, cafateria style service. Atsmophere was good.
Finnagins...very good food, atsmophere and service

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter