How are the chicken, salmon and steak?

It wasn't worth the hassle. I had plenty of food that day.

One thing that did surprised me about the servers on DCL. The cruise with the bland chicken was my 2nd cruise, and I had two similar evenings on my 3rd cruise where the entree was just bad.

Reading trip reports here I thought that servers were trained to spot full /almost full /untouched plates and ask if you want something else. On both cruises my servers didn't notice, or if they did, they didn't offer a replacement.

Again, no big issue, as there is way too much food anyway, but It was an impression I got from more experienced cruisers here.

(My 2nd cruise was around 50-60% capacity, my 3rd cruise around 80-90%, I guess)
My wife and I have been on 13 Disney cruises over the last 22 years. In that time we have had servers ask us if we were not happy with our meal choice if they noticed we did not finish of meal.
Most of the time it is because we are full however there have been times it was something that did not appeal to us so the server asked if there was any thing else we would like to try.
Sometimes we will try something different and sometimes we will just eat more desert.

We have become friends with one of the head serves. He knows we like to try different kinds of foods. When we see him he always tells us he has something special for us to try during our cruise and he lets us know what night we will bring it out for us.
This is how we started ordering Indian food when we are on the ship.

As a teenager, my niece seemed to order the steak (sirloin), rice and broccoli (by request - not mixed vegetables) most nights over the course of a 25-night B2B adventure.

She loves strawberries and would often ask for them and was presented with a big bowl.

House and caesar salads are always available.

The steak was perfectly acceptable for the cut it is. Salt and pepper are on the table.

Of course that only works on the nights where the dining room each have a different menu.
True, but the first night usually is. Also once onboard you can see the menus for your trip and if you let the serving team know early enough, I’ve found them to be very accommodating.

Also never forget that the kid's menu is available to you. When they had the set appetizer platter for the Animator Palate animation night which had seafood on it (I couldn't eat it), I was just going to skip it and my server suggested the chicken soup on the kid's menu which I quite liked. Sometimes, what's on that menu might work as an appetizer.

On every MDR menu it lists steak, salmon or chicken that you can order if you don't want one of the regular dinners. I believe they come with rice or a baked potato. How are they? Not expecting 5 star but are they on par with the other dinners on the menu? Thanks!
I've only had a salmon and found it decent. It's not incredible but it's perfectly edible. As others have said, it's a little bland.

Also on most ships you can order from the menus of the other dining rooms.
I was able to do this. Due to allergies, I'm quite limited in what I can eat. However the dining team were amazing and would bring me certain things I could eat from the other dining menus. Only problem I had was Pirate Menu but after speaking to the dining team the night before, they made me up a lovely plate of things.

Also never forget that the kid's menu is available to you. When they had the set appetizer platter for the Animator Palate animation night which had seafood on it (I couldn't eat it), I was just going to skip it and my server suggested the chicken soup on the kid's menu which I quite liked. Sometimes, what's on that menu might work as an appetizer.
We've also had them simply make a larger serving of something on the kids menu for adults as well. They're wonderfully accommodating.

They are not that good. You said they come with rice or a bake potato. Don’t be afraid to get what you want. You want fries with it order it. You want mashed potatoes with it order it and so on.

Years ago while on the Magic, during dinner my wife orders the shrimp and rice. The server says no, yucky you don't want that so she ordered something he recommended.
We were at the second seating so when he brought out our dinners he brought out the shrimp and rice for us to try, he was right it was yucky. We were very pleased with his recommendations from then on.
I always ask my server for recommendations. sometimes he will bring me 2 entries.

We tend to do longer cruises so after several days of "fancy meals" eventually my son just likes plain steak and french fries. Honestly, it's what he's used to at home (and probably steak cooked better) because I'm an average cook at best.

I've always found something on the menu, even if it's just several apps/starters/desserts and no main courses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter