How are the biting bugs in March?

ameetee

Earning My Ears
I was looking over the notes from my last trip, and I mentioned the bug bites being nasty. That was in October 2019. What is the typical mosquito/biting fly situation in late March?

I was looking over the notes from my last trip, and I mentioned the bug bites being nasty. That was in October 2019. What is the typical mosquito/biting fly situation in late March?
Well, I can say that all my times visiting during March, no issues with mosquitos, in fact, I think WDW has special technology to deal with them. Here in the Midwest we get the 'pirate' bugs in late fall, which, although the size of a pinhead really packs a biting punch!

I get eaten alive getting the mail but I’ve never had any issues at Disney. May, however, can be a nightmare if Lovebugs bother you.

February is not a good month for me for bug bites at Disney. In 2016 we were at the Grand Floridian and I got several bites, DH thinks they are deer flies or horse flies. They are definitely NOT mosquito bites. Two weeks ago we were at Yacht Club and I got the same type of bite on my lower leg. It has finally just healed. I’ve lived in Florida for 40 years and don’t have any problem at home, but something at Disney sure loves me.

Last edited:
February is not a good month for me for bug bites at Disney. In 2016 we were at the Grand Floridian and I got several bites, DH thinks they are deer flies or horse flies. They are definitely NOT mosquito bites. Two weeks ago we were at Yacht Club and I got the same type of bite on my lower leg. It has finally just healed. I’ve lived in Florida for 40 years and don’t have any problem at home, but something at Disney sure loves me.
If it was a horse fly, you’d know for sure. They bite HARD! But deer fly—maybe. We’ve all been so lucky to have never had any kind of bite at Disney.

I get eaten alive getting the mail but I’ve never had any issues at Disney. May, however, can be a nightmare if Lovebugs bother you.
Me too. We spray for mosquitos regularly at my house and have citronella candles going when we go outside and still every summer I literally cannot step aside for more than 5 seconds without getting bitten. I have had dozens of bites after being outside less than 10 minutes. I'm the running joke in my family (who never get bitten)--the joke is no mosquito will settle for another meal if I'm available.

But never a single bite at WDW--summer, winter, spring, fall. It's my vacation safe haven :love:

I wouldn't worry about mosquitos at the parks. The resorts may be a different story. March isn't so bad though.

Seems it is mixed. I'm a bug magnet. I'm not sure it was mosquitoes biting me on the October trips, could have been flies. I was just now trying to find pictures from when I went early March 2016. I can't find any good pictures of my legs, but the few pictures where I can see my arms well don't look like they are bitten. I had made a note from the last October trip that I was having to take Benadryl cause the itching was so bad that I couldn't sleep.

We are still bug free here in NJ cause we got lots of snow and ice. I still got scars from last summer's bites.

WDW goes to extreme measures to control mosquitoes. Obviously they still exist but in way less numbers than they normally would in that type of environment.

Here is a good video on it:

In all our trips we don’t even bring bug spray, they’ve been a non factor. And my husband is someone who not only attracts bugs, but swells when he gets bit - so he’s first to notice/ complain.

In all the years that we have gone to Disney, bugs have never been a problem. Have never even needed bug spray there (yet).
They have multiple ways that they take care of all the insects, many using natural predators.

I am a mosquito magnet, but have never ever gotten a mosquito bite at a WDW park in March (I have done numerous March trips over the years, decades, my favorite time to go). Other places in Florida I get mosquito bites. No wonder I like going to Orlando time and time again.

The only place I’ve ever been bitten at WDW are the fort wilderness trails , I was shocked it was full of mosquitoes , maybe I shouldn’t have been since it’s the woods 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter