• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How accurate is Touring Plans app wait times?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
Touring Plans calendar had our trip as a pretty crowded time so I was thinking of paying for their access. Is the app pretty accurate for wait times and planning which rides to go on in real time? Is it easy to access in the park or tricky with service issues?

I also use the official Disneyland app. The wait time in the app are tied to ones that are show on the sign boards in the parks (with a short delay sometimes). I like using the DL app because you can also do other things all in one app (e.g., check character schedules, use MaxPass (if you've bought it), view Photopass photos, redeem FPs, etc.).

I haven't used the Touring Plans app in a very long time. Are the wait times actual or estimated based on historical data? I thought I had read that they were estimated based on some statistical algorithm that Touring Plans had come up with.

My experience is that Touring Plans is better. I have found that Disney often artificially inflates or deflates wait times slightly to distribute crowds.

I've never experienced this, and I'm at Disneyland 1-6 times a month. The wait times have always been dead on for me, plus or minus a couple of minutes max.

I don't think that the OP is asking about how long the actual wait times are. She's asking about the Touring Plans calendar which is an indication of how long the wait times will be in general in the parks.
Len Testa is a math guy. His organization does statistical analysis of actual wait times and uses that to predict how "crowded" the park will be. His team's analysis does not intend to say that the park will be at x% capacity but merely that the wait times will fall into a window of expected times during certain hours of the day. If you look at his predictions versus reality, in general, they're very accurate. Most often it falls within 10% (scale of 1-10) of the prediction. His team has even done the analysis showing that even when the park wasn't full in terms of numbers of people in the park, that ride times were high. They found that Disney was arbitrarily lengthening wait times (by lowering capacity) for their own means (they actually had people count the number of riders exiting a ride per hour). Day-to-day, there's always a chance of an anomaly due to unforeseen circumstances (his predictions are based on long-term data analysis and are constantly adjusted). The amount you pay is very small. I do like them (I'm a math guy as well but in a different field) and have used them for picking rooms (for resorts I haven't been to), getting my room request (I've actually learned how they do it and can now do it myself), and determining which order of parks I'll visit. As a Disneyland AP holder, I only use them for WDW. At Disneyland, you can see which park is the busiest and easily walk to the other side (provided you have a park hopper) - so it's not as useful here.

Touring Plans has 3 different wait times listed in the app: Posted (from Disney's sytem), Expected (based on statistical crowd modeling), and Reported (by users). They then also list wait times when you create a personal plan. Their plans also use their statistical modeling to determine the best order for the rides you list on a specific day and time frame.

I was asking about actual wait times IRL. Just wondering if it was worth trying TP. We won’t be there for long so I think I need to pay attention since it’s supposed to be pretty crowded. Usually we have an idea but we don’t plan too much as we are walking around but I’m not sure if that will work as well this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter