How about some EXERCISE tips?

LuvTigger

DIS Veteran
We have a "diet" tips thread, I thought maybe some exercise tips would be good too? What keeps you motivated? What kinds of exercises work for you? What do you do if you don't have a full consecutive hour (or whatever), but maybe have 10 minutes here and there?

Here are a few things I've been doing:
* When I'm watching tv, I use little 2-3 pound weights for my arms, and I'll do sit ups or crunches during the commercials.
* At work, I'll walk to the bathroom that's farther away.
* When I go to lunch (I'm on the 4th floor), I walk down the stairs. When I come back, I try to get off at the 2nd or 3rd floor and walk up the rest.
* I park farther away at the mall or supermarket instead of taking the closest stall.
* My doggies are overweight too, so I take them for walks to benefit not only my health, but theirs.
* I wear a pedometer. The goal is 10,000 steps a day. It can be discouraging when I only have 4,000 after I finish work, but if I have say 7,000, then I think, "only 3,000 more!."

Good thread! You already mentioned my best tips:

*DEFINATELY walk the dog. Once they get used to walking at a certain time every day, they WON'T let you have a day off!

*I also keep a small weight by my computer. When I'm waiting for pages to load, I'll do some arm lifts.

*I do crunches 3X a day, 20 each time. It's the same net effect as doing 60 at once - except NO WAY can I do 60 at once!

My son does pushups during commercials too...:rolleyes: I just sit and watch tho....you know, being the encouraging mother that I am! :rolleyes:

I have really been struggling with exercise for the past 3 weeks. I have either been too busy or not feeling well and I am afraid that I am out of the routine for good! :(
I have lost 11/5 lbs at Weight Watchers but I know I could do it better and faster with exercise.

I really like your Pedometer idea, I think that just may do it for me. Thank you!!
CC

I am the 'chubby' fitness/yoga instructor. I noticed my weight becoming an obstacle when I could not do a couple of yoga asanas very well. I am motivated to lost weight! You are all awesome!

I like treadmill and elliptical machine to music rather than TV. The beats get me going faster! Stretching while watching TV is good too!

S

I rarely drive anywhere where I could walk, instead. That means that anytime we're going to the mall just to hang out or to pick up stuff that will weight less than 35 pounds and fit in my back-pack, we'll walk the 4 miles each way to the mall. We don't drive to the movie theater. Post office, bank deposits, bottle recycling, and even some grocery trips are all done by walking.

Probably the most important aspect of my exercise motivation is what I do to oblige myself to the activity. For me, that means joining a yoga studio and paying up-front for the sessions, eight weeks at a time. Not only is the money already spent (thereby activating my financial self-interest to prompt me to go to each session), but since the class is relatively small (it's a more intense type of yoga), I have an obligation to the others in the class to be there if at all possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter