• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Houston-MD Anderson

meresandwillsmom

Mouseketeer
I'm looking for places to stay around the hospital. My best friend's husband has had a recurrence of his bladder cancer and has been diagnosed as Stage IV. They are at MD Anderson for treatment now through Monday (5/14). They will have to stay around the hospital for 2 wks for check-ups and then another round of chemo. Their two boys, 4 and 10, are staying with her mother about three hours away from their home here in Memphis. Another friend and I are planning to drive the boys down next weekend to visit. Anyone familiar with that area? They will need something nice and clean, but not too expensive. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

Sorry to hear about your friend's husband. My father-in-law has been going to MD Anderson for treatments. He and my mother-in-law like the Residence Inn by Marriott. It has a shuttle that can bring you back and forth to the hospital and is reasonably priced and has a restaurant. I believe it's just 2-4 miles from the hosp. Might be worth checking out.

best wishes to your friends
Yvette

Check out the MD Anderson website (I am going to try to post the link) as they actually offer travel assistance and will can help with this and get discounts. I would definitely contact them.

Some of the hotels in the area give a discount for families of those in the hospitals in the medical center.

The Residence Inn another poster mentioned is probably a good choice, and I think they do offer a discount, so you might want to call them directly and ask.

Here's the link to MD Anderson for info on travel assistance:

http://www.mdanderson.org/about_mda...7545-11D4-AEC300508BDCCE3A&method=displayFull

I haven't been to MD Anderson in many, many years, so I'm sure everything has changed in the years since I was a patient there. I just wanted to say that I think it is great that you are going to visit and bring the boys. MD Anderson is a wonderful place -- truly one of the best at what it does. I'm LIVING proof of that, but it is still what it is; and I know your visit will be a wonderful respite from the everyday routine.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look into them and give them to my friend. I know I can always count on my DIS friends.

Angie

Be sure and ask for medical rates wherever you book. My MIL and FIL have had to stay in Houston while family members are in the hospital, and they always get medical rates which will save you some $$. I'll ask my MIL if she can make any specific recommendations.

Hope your friend's husband does well. It breaks my heart to hear this kind of thing for someone with children so young. I'll say a prayer for him and all of you as you travel.

Recommendations from my MIL:

Check the MD Anderson website (as mentioned before) or try Priceline.
Call directly to the hotel to ask for medical rates.
Rotary House is attached to the hospital. Standard rooms are $99 or rooms with kitchenettes are $109.
Springhilll Suites is close by and typically runs $89-99 with the medical discount.
There are also a couple of new hotels on Main St that she's not yet stayed at as well as a Hampton Inn and several Holiday Inns nearby.

Hope this helps.

I often travel to Houston for medical treatment and am very familiar with the area. My recommendation is SpringHill Suites Marriott.

The rooms are all suites, with a living room with sleeper sofa and seperate bedroom. They also have a microwave/fridge/coffee maker, which can be quite handy. They offer a free full breakfast, free parking, and free shuttle to/from medical center. Medical center rate our last trip was $99, with tax came to $116 per night. Its a nice place to take kids, my kids always enjoy staying there. It has a fairly nice outdoor pool.

Do be aware that the area around the Houston Medical Center can be very expensive, for meals, parking, and hotel tax (about 18%). Look for a hotel with free parking, shuttle, and some opportunity to cook in your room. Most major medical facilities charge $15-$18 per day for parking!

Do also be aware that the area around the Medical Center can be a little grungy. Actually, the Medical Center itself is quite nice and safe, but there are some seedy areas around it. I would not recommend using Priceline or Hotwire for a hotel in this area, you really need to know your hotel.

You must call the hotel direct for a medical center/patient rate (the $99 rate I got). You can't access it via the website. They will want the doctor's name, phone number, and patient ID. They want that for a medical center rate anywhere in the area, just to cut down on abuse of the rate.

If you choose to stay at this hotel, but sure to askat the front desk for coupons for the pizza delivery service that delivers to the hotel. Some of the best pizza we've ever eaten, and quite a reasonable price! Also, check out the Houston Children's Museum, right in the area. They have a free night once a week (with free parking), however the free night varies, best to check with them.

Any questions about the area feel free to ask. I hope all goes well for you and your family!:love:

The Free night is Thursday from 5-8pm. The Museum is AWESOME....I take my twins there weekly on this night and it is always fun and cool (it is really really hot in TX most of the time). This place is huge and you will def. have a lot of fun.:banana:

Just thought of another place you might try--Hampton Inn on Old Spanish Trail. I often stay there as well. They have a medical center dicsount, same procedure, must call the hotel direct for the discount and be prepared to supply name and phone number of doctor, facility, and patient ID.

This hotel has a few suites, but mostly rooms. All come with microwave and fridge. Hotel has free hot breakfast, medical center shuttle, free hotel parking, medical center rate runs $89-$99 + tax. It does have an outdoor pool, but rather small. In a good location, also, right across (walking distance) from a Luby's cafeteria, which has very reasonable meals and kids meals, take out, I often pick up stuff to eat in the room.

Both hotels I recommended, Hampton Inn and SpringHill Suites, have interior corridors. You don't want a hotel with rooms that open to the outside.

Some places to avoid--anything past the Fannin loop 610 intersection. Seems that's the dividing line for the nice/seedy areas. Definitely stay away from Travelodge, La Quinta, Rodeway Inn. I got Travelodge on Priceline, wouldn't even get out of the car. Such a tacky, run down place, no wonder its on Priceline. and it was $69 a night. For a few dollars more you can get a decent place you feel comfortable in.

Also, the Hampton Inn is within walking distance (about a block) from the People mover, or whatever its called. A tram system that goes up and down Fannin past much of the medical center area. I've never used it myself, probably ask at the hotel desk for particulars abut tickets, etc., but it could also be an economical way to get around. Also would be fun for the kids. Good luck!

Oh, one more thought, if you do stay at these hotels, be sure to take your own plastic utensils, paper plates, cups, etc, if you plan to eat anything in your room. Typically they don't supply those items.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will be flying to Houston with the boys on Thurs. Driving to Nashville to save money. We will be coming back on Sunday night. I don't have all the details, just set it up. Thanks again. The DIS Rocks!!!!

Please click on the link below for detailed info regarding hotels in Houston. Please note some hotels are closer than others:
http://www2.mdanderson.org/app/new_patients/index.cfm?pagename=display&type=HM

MDACC tries to keep the list updated and the rates listed are MDACC patient rates. Please know the medical record number of the patient to obtain the rate. If the rate you are quoted is different, I would recommend that you very nicely try to speak to the manager of the hotel to ensure you are getting the correct rate for MDACC. It does not hurt to try. :thumbsup2

Patient Travel Services is the travel agency for MDACC patient's. They may charge a small fee($20??), however have access to know what hotels still have availibilty and get the correct MDACC rate for you. They book the hotel for you instead of having to call the hotel directly. If you are leaving this week and want to use their services, make sure to call them at 1-888-848-9992.

I wish your friend's husband the best.:flower3:

Most people have answered your questions about hotels. I prefer The Rotary House it is run by marriott but is connected to MDA. You do get discounts but they will need the patients ID number. Other than this they have a really great italian restaurant on Kirby Dr. they have the best cream of broccoli soup and meatballs ever. To be honest I am looking forward to my visit next month just so I can go eat there.

ETA~ you can map them on super pages if you decided to try them out they are called Prima Pasta and on the corner of kirby and holcombe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter