Housing trends you dislike?

I agree about the standard LED light bulbs. The cold light can make an otherwise pleasant setting look like a dreary crime drama. I need to go shopping again, because I just searched and apparently there do exist warm light LED bulbs.

Ridiculous master suites that have bathrooms larger than the other bedrooms in the house.

Our house is 30 years old but ... has a master bathroom bigger than our last master bedroom. It is unnecessary because sinks, tubs, showers are all on walls so we have this huge space in the middle that is useless. I suppose we could spend big bucks and have some kind of custom storage island put in but I hate it. I get the reason, the whole thing plus two huge closets are over the garage, no way to purpose it for other space. So it is as big as a 2.5 car garage. :confused3

CFL's are still legal here in California. Personally, I'd take LED over CFL, I don't like the type of light CFLs give off. California is kind of late to the game, the incandescent bulbs were only banned here in 2020. The switch has it's roots in the Federal Energy Independence and Security Act signed by then President Bush in 2007. We remodeled in 2013-14 and LEDs were all the contractors would use then.

I wasn't talking about CFLs. I am talking about halogen bulbs. We have CFLs in our kitchen and I hate them, but the fixtures won't accept anything else. CFLs give me headaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: GAN

I agree about the standard LED light bulbs. The cold light can make an otherwise pleasant setting look like a dreary crime drama. I need to go shopping again, because I just searched and apparently there do exist warm light LED bulbs.

It's a lie. I bought the warmest Kelvin value bulbs available for the can lights we have and it's still that dreary look unless you put them at full brightness which just feels like a supermarket.

I wasn't talking about CFLs. I am talking about halogen bulbs.
I see your later post on halogen bulbs. Actually, I just remembered our master bathroom has halogens. It was remodeled in 2013. Guess I will have to replace the fixture when one of them burns out.

*Open concept. I love the kitchen hidden away and having separation between rooms.
*Farmhouse interior design & Grey reminds me of the Tuscan interior design & Tan really big in the early 2000s.
*Word art. The only exception to word art is holiday/seasonal decor.
*TV above the fireplace.
*Painting over original brick/stone.
*Sliding doors/Shutter Doors to closets, & Pocket doors.
*HOAS & CC&Rs.

I see your later post on halogen bulbs. Actually, I just remembered our master bathroom has halogens. It was remodeled in 2013. Guess I will have to replace the fixture when one of them burns out.

You don't have to replace the fixture, most likely. The ones we have are "type A" and will take any type A bulb. The CFL fixtures we have in the kitchen are the three prong type that will only accept those type of CFLs.

I agree about interior sliding barn doors - not a fan of those,. I, also, agree about rooms dominated by grey - walls, floors, furniture all in varying shades.

It isn't really a trend over here, but I notice a lot of American homes don't have fenced in yards and just share open space; that's never appealed to me.

Also, books arranged by colour!

Last edited:
You you can pick the color temperature you want. I bought LED replacements for the fluorescent light bulbs in our laundry room and I had a choice of warm white or daylight. I got daylight, but my wife likes LOTS of light in the laundry room so I went back to good old fashioned, cheap, bright white garage fluorescent bulbs.

I agree about interior sliding barn doors - not a fan of those,. I, also, agree about rooms dominated by grey - walls, floors, furniture all in varying shades.

It isn't really a trend over here, but I notice a lot of American homes don't have fenced in yards and just share open space. I don't think I'd like that - outside space is very important to me.

Also, books arranged by colour!

That is not true everywhere in the US. Here in AZ, unless you’re in a rural area, all the backyards have fences.

I don’t necessarily dislike it, but I do find it odd that a lot of folks are putting a big star on the side or front of their houses. Is it a barn thing, too?
It’s a thing in Texas because we are The Lone Star State. No idea why other states would use stars. As for the BIG bathrooms someone mentioned, I love ours.

Last edited:
That is not true everywhere in the US. Here in AZ, unless you’re in a rural area, all the backyards have fences.
I have noticed differences in the Midwest (Missouri and Illinois) where fences seem to be less common. Never understood how people with dogs keep them in without a fence.
I live in a subdivision built in 1976 and the backyards are required to be fenced by code. And there are additional fencing requirements if you have a pool.

There’s a huge housing boom here and houses are going up so fast but none of these new neighborhoods have any distinguishing features. Houses practically on top of each other, no parks, no personality. Just row upon row upon row of the same houses and town houses right off the highway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter