Housekeeping security?

CoyoteGum

Earning My Ears
I keep hearing stuff bout housekeepers coming in for security checks? Do they just come in your room and look round or do they like search stuff?

Get a $20 WYZE cam to watch your stuff while you're gone. I think there's been one or two cases of dirty MouseKeepers hit the news but it's not even something I worry about anymore. Half the time I don't bother to even lock the tablet into the safe.

It has been this way since the Vegas shootings. We’ve never had an issue, I’d suggest just hiding interesting stuff.

Only place we’ve ever had stuff taken by housekeeping was in...Vegas.

To clarify, security checks are typically done if housekeeping has not entered the room that day - primarily people who choose to decline housekeeping for the gift card. When the security checks occur, it could be a CM from housekeeping who does it, but I think its typically a CM from some other area of resort operations. If you get housekeeping service each day, you shouldn't be further affected by any security checks.

To clarify, security checks are typically done if housekeeping has not entered the room that day - primarily people who choose to decline housekeeping for the gift card. When the security checks occur, it could be a CM from housekeeping who does it, but I think its typically a CM from some other area of resort operations. If you get housekeeping service each day, you shouldn't be further affected by any security checks.
I've read several reports of security checks from guests who did not decline housekeeping. No one is immune.

There is a thread dedicated to people’s experience with security checks. You may want to read thru that to find out what others experience. At first it seems like many vastly different experiences. Hopefully now that they’ve had more time it’s implemented better.
My stays after they started this hasn’t been any different than before, but I always get Housekeeping.

I've read several reports of security checks from guests who did not decline housekeeping. No one is immune.
Typically, those who receive housekeeping should not receive a security check in addition to. Its always possible housekeeping misses/skips a room or can't get into a room during their shift if the occupants are there, and in those cases, a security check would be done. The point is to get a CM's eyes inside every room once a day. It would be a waste of their resources to do it more than once in a day, unless there was an error (i.e. something was mis-keyed in their system).

Typically, those who receive housekeeping should not receive a security check in addition to. Its always possible housekeeping misses/skips a room or can't get into a room during their shift if the occupants are there, and in those cases, a security check would be done. The point is to get a CM's eyes inside every room once a day. It would be a waste of their resources to do it more than once in a day, unless there was an error (i.e. something was mis-keyed in their system).
I don’t think it’s necessarily a mistake, I just think that’s the way they sometimes do security checks. In some cases I think it’s quicker for security to take a row of rooms and just go door to door if they know the majority of rooms along a particular corridor have mostly opted out of housekeeping, rather then constantly stopping to check which room they should go to next and having to backtrack if they’ve missed one.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s necessarily a mistake, I just think that’s the way they sometimes do security checks. In some cases I think it’s quicker for security to take a row of rooms and just go door to door if they know the majority of rooms along a particular corridor have mostly opted out of housekeeping, rather then constantly stopping to check which room they should go to next and having to backtrack if they’ve missed one.
Its always been my understanding that security is dispatched to rooms that have opted out of housekeeping or that housekeeping has not entered that day in order to perform the check. Regardless, a guest should be getting only one or the other, not both.

Its always been my understanding that security is dispatched to rooms that have opted out of housekeeping or that housekeeping has not entered that day in order to perform the check. Regardless, a guest should be getting only one or the other, not both.
Right or wrong, sometimes they get both. These are just my observations on how security rolls. I often sit outside my room on a bench and drink coffee while my family sleeps in. I’ve observed multiple security checks at Pop and POFQ. Sometimes security is just going door to door regardless of housekeeping and sometimes they’re being selective. I don’t really think it’s a big deal either way. Just as sometimes you get visited by security twice in one day. That has only happened to us once (that we know of) but it can happen.

Right or wrong, sometimes they get both. These are just my observations on how security rolls. I often sit outside my room on a bench and drink coffee while my family sleeps in. I’ve observed multiple security checks at Pop and POFQ. Sometimes security is just going door to door regardless of housekeeping and sometimes they’re being selective. I don’t really think it’s a big deal either way. Just as sometimes you get visited by security twice in one day. That has only happened to us once (that we know of) but it can happen.
I understand. I was just clarifying that's not how its *supposed* to work, just so people know that if they decide to get housekeeping, they shouldn't expect a second interruption at some point during the day. As with everything, there's always exceptions, but its not typical.

I understand. I was just clarifying that's not how its *supposed* to work, just so people know that if they decide to get housekeeping, they shouldn't expect a second interruption at some point during the day. As with everything, there's always exceptions, but its not typical.
I really think people should expect it, or at least prepare themselves for the possibility, just so they don’t set themselves up for disappointment. I think it might be more typical then people realize, but most people are in the parks anyways, so they’ll never know the difference.

I really think people should expect it, or at least prepare themselves for the possibility, just so they don’t set themselves up for disappointment. I think it might be more typical then people realize, but most people are in the parks anyways, so they’ll never know the difference.
Well hopefully they wouldn't be disappointed - its not a big deal either way. My only point was that keeping housekeeping does not equate to two checks per day.

Well hopefully they wouldn't be disappointed - its not a big deal either way. My only point was that keeping housekeeping does not equate to two checks per day.
Right! I’d be very unhappy if I got 2 checks in a day. I request housekeeping in the morning while I’m in the park. We always return in afternoon to either rest in room or have a pool break. I’d be unhappy if someone interrupted my nap or came while I was showering from pool.
It hasn’t been my experience so far. Housekeeping has been enough.

We had a weird experience last year. We were back in the room before housekeeping got there. They knocked on the door, and I told them that all we needed were towels, that they didn't have to make up the room. They came back maybe 10 minutes later with towels and came into the room and emptied the trash. Fine. We're done, I thought.

Maybe 15 minutes later I get a call: Let in the security person who's standing outside your door. Why? Because we "declined housekeeping." I explain what happened, that we did have a housekeeper in the room, etc., but that wasn't good enough. So we had to let security--who, btw, was someone not in a CM costume and wearing zero identification--into the room.

We were exhausted after a long day park-hopping. This was not a pleasant experience. I wrote to WDW about it and someone telephoned me after I got home. She said that she used to be a housekeeper at WDW and that getting pillows or towels or blankets or whatever was marked on the sheet as "declining housekeeping" and that this is why we had the additional security check. She said that she'd inform WDW about what happened to us and see if they would change this particular screwy protocol.

Did they? I have no way of knowing.

As for human trafficking: Would someone really rent a room at an overpriced deluxe resort at Disney, have a packed schedule of FP+ and ADRs--all of them readily visible to everyone in management at WDW, including whether one had actually shown up for these activities--and then also have the time to be a human trafficker? Seriously? When you could just rent an offsite room for thirty bucks a night at a motel where no one would ever come to check on you? Nonsense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter