• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotels you have loved in San Francisco

AquamarineSteph

DIS Veteran
Hi! We may spend a week next spring in San Francisco, so I'm looking to see if anyone has a hotel recommendation to share. (Not airbnb) In the past, we've stayed in the Financial District and Nob Hill. We're open to trying a new neighborhood. I'm just curious to see if anyone has someplace they recently enjoyed staying.

Thank you!! :-)

I stayed at Travelodge By Wyndham Fishermans Wharf at 1201 Columbus Avenue. Its a great location, 10 minutes walk to Alcatraz Landing in one direction and 10 minutes walk to Fishermans Wharf in the other direction.

If a motel is not your thing, there is a Hyatt Centric across the street from the Travelodge and Holiday Inn up the street in the direction of Fishermans Wharf.

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Stayed here in 2013 and loved it. We got a suite for the price of a king room on a special they were having.
Close to the Wharf. Opened our blinds the morning after we arrived and there was The Golden Gate Bridge!
Very clean and great service.
We were sitting on the couch one evening after being in Napa all day and there was a small earthquake, we sat there looking at each other in complete shock.
Check it out on Trip advisor.

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Stayed here in 2013 and loved it. We got a suite for the price of a king room on a special they were having.
Close to the Wharf. Opened our blinds the morning after we arrived and there was The Golden Gate Bridge!
Very clean and great service.
We were sitting on the couch one evening after being in Napa all day and there was a small earthquake, we sat there looking at each other in complete shock.
Check it out on Trip advisor.

Oh, the Argonaut! Still my standard for a great hotel with great service! We booked at almost the last minute due to a change in our CA travel plans back in 2013 also and had a two room suite plus an immense bathroom! We couldn't believe how large it was and we could walk 2 minutes and be at the end of a cable car line. There was also a great coffee place on the first floor corner of that hotel. It was part of the Klimpton chain at the time so there are other unique hotels like the Argonaut in cities. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

We stayed at the Hyatt Centric in Fisherman's Wharf. Good location around the corner from one of the cable car line's turnarounds & several blocks from the other line. Also close to the F line streetcars. In addition to the Hyatt and the other hotels PP mentioned there may also be a couple of Marriott properties in the area. Plenty of restaurants in the area.

I usually use HotelTonight when I travel to San Francisco. Full disclosure, up until recently I had a friend in the North Bay that I usually stayed with for a few days, so the need to find something wasn't quite as present since if I had to, I could stay with her and travel back and forth to the city, so waiting for a last minute deal didn't stress me out. Now, you can use Hotel Tonight further in advance, so I definitely recommend checking out what options they have for your time frame, especially if SF hotel prices make your eyes go wide.

Most recently I've stayed at:
- Le Meridien in the Financial District. I got this one through Hotwire and was very pleased. Very nice hotel, close to the Embarcadero and transportation.
- The Westin near Market St. It's a Westin, they're pretty much all the same.
- The Griffon on The Embarcadero. This was probably my favorite of the hotels I've stayed at. It's NOT a big room, but it is nice, great location (right across from the Ferry Terminal, close to AT&T Park [a big plus for me], Market St. transportation, etc.)
- The Zeppelin in Union Square. This was relatively new at the time and more of a boutique hotel. It's nice, bigger rooms than the Griffon, but is on the edge of Union Square that is closer to the Tenderloin, which is good to keep in mind. Still safe, I walked back there late by myself with no issue, but some don't like nearing that border if it can be avoided.
- The Mystic in Union Square, this one is right by the Stockton/Sutter garage and closer to Chinatown. Nice, but an older property and similar boutique style room. This one has an option for a $14 breakfast per room that is good!
- The Herbert Hotel on Powell. I actually really liked this one and it was a great deal through Hotel Tonight. This one is VERY simple, not a lot of amenities in the room, and not ALL rooms have private baths so it'd be important to check (most do). It was great for me on the trip I stayed in it, as I was a solo traveler and mostly just sleeping there and keeping my stuff. It's super close to Union Square and the cable car. Breakfast is included at a nearby restaurant. Helpful staff. But again, it's almost a higher end boarding house in some ways and doesn't offer much beyond a clean and safe place to sleep.

Feel free to ask any other questions! I love SF and have gone there annually for the past few years.

For something different, we are staying at the Lodge at the Presidio this summer- part of the parks service, cheap parking, something different from a typical hotel...

We like Hotel Nikko and The Fairmont. Would stay at the Argonaut, too!

The Argonaut is one of the best hotels I’ve stayed at. It’s something Disney hotels should aspire to. The nautical theme is overt but classy and sophisticatedly done. It’s also family friendly without feeling like you’re bowing to your kids’ wishes. The location is great too. It’s across the street from Fisherman’sWharf and within a short walking distance of the cable car turnaround.

We stayed at the Hilton near Union Square. While the hotel itself was great, I would not recommend the area at all. While it’s very central, there is unfortunately a terrible homeless problem and we felt very unsafe walking around the neighbourhood. We could even hear fights on the street 10 floors below at night.

I would choose to stay in the Fisherman’s Wharf or Ghiradelli Square area next time.

Reading this thread now, I think it'd be helpful if you mentioned what kind of hotel you are looking for and even moreso, around how much a night you are hoping to stick to. The Argonaut always looks great to me but five nights there at the time of year I usually visit is a LOT of money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter