Hotels in San Diego

If I had the funds, I would pick the Hotel Coronado without reading any reviews. It is a venerable institution. Is it the inspiration for WDW’s Grand Floridian?
That and the Mount Washington Resort in New Hampshire. I think there was even a hotel in FL in the mix if I remember correctly. They usually mixed several designs, WL is a combination of sevaral NP lodges.

I had considered Kona Kai, but I couldn't find much on YouTube and I couldn't find anything here on the dis. It just seemed like a lot of money to put out without being able to talk to folks who had gone before.
Totally get that, the rooms were nice, we had a lovely balcony which we made use of every night. The hotel itself was lovely, nice setting, the pool was lovely and it was a short journey to a really nice food market place where we ate most nights because the little stalls had some lovely food (the taco place and pasta place were superb).

I had considered Kona Kai, but I couldn't find much on YouTube and I couldn't find anything here on the dis. It just seemed like a lot of money to put out without being able to talk to folks who had gone before.
Delta put us up there one night when they cancelled our flight. What was funny we had just spent 3 days at the Island Palms which is right next door.

Last edited:
That and the Mount Washington Resort in New Hampshire. I think there was even a hotel in FL in the mix if I remember correctly. They usually mixed several designs, WL is a combination of sevaral NP lodges.

Nifty info. Totally get the WL from NP. I think of it as mimicking the Okd Faithful Lodge at Yellowstone - and the hotel in Yosemite.

Thanks.

I think there was even a hotel in FL in the mix if I remember correctly.
The beautiful old Belleview, over near Clearwater. The original is gone now, the 2004 hurricane year and money woes did it in. Part of the historic structure was moved and reopened but it is not the same. The rest was demolished 8 or 10 years ago, I guess. Went there as a little girl with my grandma, you had to dress up and I felt so fancy. Here's a postcard picture.

1662076668959.png

The beautiful old Belleview, over near Clearwater. The original is gone now, the 2004 hurricane year and money woes did it in. Part of the historic structure was moved and reopened but it is not the same. The rest was demolished 8 or 10 years ago, I guess. Went there as a little girl with my grandma, you had to dress up and I felt so fancy. Here's a postcard picture.

View attachment 698965
Wow. I saw photos of the new use of what was left - I didn’t realize it was a moved portion of something so grand.

But the new hotel looks beautiful, too. Check it on online sometime.

I’m guessing you fondly remember those times with your grandma. ☺️

More fun info about the Disney resorts. Thank you.

If I had the funds, I would pick the Hotel del Coronado without reading any reviews. It is a venerable institution. Is it the inspiration for WDW’s Grand Floridian?

In 1990, I stayed at the San Diego Princess. That was its second life. Now it is Paradise Point (TripAdvisor’s #1 Resort in SD). Slated to change hands again, next to be a Margaritaville. On Mission Bay. It seemed so far removed from the bustle of town.

Lots of nice choices. TripAdvisor lists 7 resorts in SD - they should have nice pools and daily activities.
I've stayed at the Hotel del Coronado (was for a work conference, so I didn't have to pay), and honestly wasn't a fan. It was cool to stay there, for sure, but I was underwhelmed and didn't think it was worth the cost. Though it also might depend on which part you stay in . . .

I've stayed at the Hotel del Coronado (was for a work conference, so I didn't have to pay), and honestly wasn't a fan. It was cool to stay there, for sure, but I was underwhelmed and didn't think it was worth the cost. Though it also might depend on which part you stay in . . .

I hear you. There is a point at which the old classics don't deliver (and sometimes never really did).

Checking out San Diego hotels in TripAdvisor presents so many nice options. And not all with hefty price tags.

As far as properties with a beach - it looks like Mission Bay has a lot of nice options. ?

I read about slopping floors in some rooms at del Coronado after I made that post. I‘m not heading to San Diego with money to burn, so I get to bow out. I expect OP to make a good choice; he’s doing well with his planning so far from what he’s posted.

I hear you. There is a point at which the old classics don't deliver (and sometimes never really did).

Checking out San Diego hotels in TripAdvisor presents so many nice options. And not all with hefty price tags.

As far as properties with a beach - it looks like Mission Bay has a lot of nice options. ?

I read about slopping floors in some rooms at del Coronado after I made that post. I‘m not heading to San Diego with money to burn, so I get to bow out. I expect OP to make a good choice; he’s doing well with his planning so far from what he’s posted.
Yes, the 'old' part of Hotel del is very old. It's got some historic charm, sure, but it just felt old and neglected. So I could totally see sloping floors being an issue. I distinctly remember the doors being very heavy and easily slamming (like, if you didn't put out a hand to slowly shut the door as you left it would slam). Shook the whole dang wall. Not good when you're a light sleeper. I had a colleague who stayed in the newer part, she had a more modern room and a balcony that looked out over the beach; that sounded really nice. I really think if you (anyone) wanted to see Hotel del you could just go visit the resort and get the feel of it without having to shell out so much money to stay there (IMO).

Another fun option, though maybe a bit far from the port is the Lodge at Torrey Pines(about 15 min north). It is the inspiration for the Grand Californian, and sits right on the Torrey Pines Golf Course.

Just a little side note - I'm a she.
Oh, and thank you for saying you think I'm doing well, that's encouraging to hear.

We decided to do the Del next year in October, we'll be intentionally staying in the oldest part possible - but that's my entire interest in the hotel is the long creepy history. They do a lot around their ghost Kate for Halloween so we'll go down then and check it out. =)

Yes, the 'old' part of Hotel del is very old. It's got some historic charm, sure, but it just felt old and neglected. So I could totally see sloping floors being an issue. I distinctly remember the doors being very heavy and easily slamming (like, if you didn't put out a hand to slowly shut the door as you left it would slam). Shook the whole dang wall. Not good when you're a light sleeper. I had a colleague who stayed in the newer part, she had a more modern room and a balcony that looked out over the beach; that sounded really nice. I really think if you (anyone) wanted to see Hotel del you could just go visit the resort and get the feel of it without having to shell out so much money to stay there (IMO).

We decided to do the Del next year in October, we'll be intentionally staying in the oldest part possible - but that's my entire interest in the hotel is the long creepy history. They do a lot around their ghost Kate for Halloween so we'll go down then and check it out. =)
I can totally see if you're going there for the old hotel vibe and the long creepy history then it makes sense. Enjoy!

Local here. I find Coronado island overpriced and overly touristy. But there's plenty to see and do there. The Hilton Bayfront location isn't too bad, and has easy access to the Gaslamp for food, and the trolley for transportation. Seaport village is under construction but close by, and so is Petco Park. For beaches I like the relaxed vibe of Mission Bay, and there you can find lots of watersport type rentals if that interest you.

For beaches I like the relaxed vibe of Mission Bay, and there you can find lots of watersport type rentals if that interest you.
X-2 and the last time I was local was over 50 years ago thanks to Uncle Sam, but back to visit numerous times..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter