Hotel suggestions - along PCH (Rt 1)

happysmyly

Mouseketeer
My mom has always wanted to drive down the California coast--so we're going to take a couple of days on the way down to DLR driving the coast.
I am wondering if anyone has a favorite (inexpensive) place to stay along the coast (San Simeon to Morro Bay area--based on drive time for the day)--or anyplace that we should avoid...

Thank you muchly for your advice--greatly appreciated!!
:) Liz

SSpines.com is a place we've stayed a few times, nice location you can walk to the beach yet usually very reasonable.
Motel 6 San simeon will do in a pinch. Didn't care much for Morro Bay.

SSpines.com is a place we've stayed a few times, nice location you can walk to the beach yet usually very reasonable.
Motel 6 San simeon will do in a pinch. Didn't care much for Morro Bay.

Thank you for that info--I'm totally clueless and am just having to go with what I find online--so thank you for some specifics!

Have a great day!!

You'll want to be careful about the drive from San Simeon to Anaheim if it's on a weekday. You can hit major traffic snarls if you're headed through Los Angeles between 3pm and 7pm. And since the drive from San Simeon is a few hours, you might just hit that mess if you're not careful. You'll want to either leave San Simeon by 9am, or if you want a nice leisurely tour down the coast, stop for lunch in Solvang and for dinner in Santa Barbara. The Solvang/Santa Ynez area is a nice drive, and Santa Barbara is a great place to have dinner on the water. Leaving Santa Barbara around 7pm should help you avoid any traffic snarls further south, and will get you to Anaheim by 9:30pm or so.
Heading south from San Simeon, travel the 101 freeway and get off at Exit 146, Los Olivos, "Route 154" . Follow this through some nice countryside for about 8-10 miles until you hit Route 246. Turn right and this will take you into the danish village of Solvang, great spot for breakfast or lunch or window shopping. (You'll know you're there when you see buildings/storefronts with windmills). Back onto on 246 continuing west a few miles and this will get you back to the 101 freeway going south to Santa Barbara.
In Santa Barbara you'll want to head to the wharf/waterfront for a walk, and maybe a casual dinner at Santa Barbara Seafood right there on the wharf. There is also a trolley that takes you back and forth from the wharf to downtown Santa Barbara if you have time to look around.

Actually, Santa Barbara would be my choice for an overnight stay rather than San Simeon, but you may not be able to drive that far on that day. San Simeon's nice too.

Here is your exit for Santa Barbara!:
http://www.westcoastroads.com/california/images100/us-101_sb_exit_097_02.jpg

We drove from SF to LA in 2003 and stopped off at The Shore Cliff Lodge in Pismo Beach it was quite pretty and had lovely views over the Pacific.

Claire ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter