Hotel in San Diego

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
Looking for a good hotel near the port with views of the ship.
We were thinking of the InterContinental San Diego, but are open to something a little cheaper since it turns out our plane wont set down until around 6pm. Would be great if the hotel had a good restaurant as well as views of the ship. If not we'll tap grub hub.

We stayed at the Wyndham several years ago and liked it. We had a city view, but they have bay view rooms also. They have a Ruth's Chris if you like steaks.

Not a big fan of Ruth's and the wife is a Pescatarian. Are there any other food options?

We stayed at the Wyndham several years ago and liked it. We had a city view, but they have bay view rooms also. They have a Ruth's Chris if you like steaks.

We've stayed at the Wyndham Bayside before and have it booked again for our end of December cruise. Ruths Chris is actually next door and not attached to the hotel. There is a restaurant/bar in the lobby of the hotel and a coffee kiosk as well. I can't remember the name of the restaurant inside the lobby, otherwise I'd link it for you. We had dinner there during one of our stays and the food was quite good.

We stay at that Wyndham as well when we're getting on/off the ship in San Diego. It's literally right across from the port and you can walk to the ship in 2 minutes. The restaurant in the hotel is a knock-off western food / cowboy place. Food is pretty good. There's a great deli next door to the hotel and hey, it's San Diego - there's PLENTY of great food within walking distance! If nothing else, there's a Legal Seafood down the street near the USS Midway museum (and do the tour of that ship - it's amazing!).

Have fun!

Not sure if it's the location you are after but we stayed at the US grant and it was great! Can't say the same about hotel del Coronado through ....

While not quiet as close as some of the others mentioned we stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt and had a great view of the port and were able to see the ship come in. The hotel is really nice, there were restaurants within walking distance (as well as in the hotel) and the port was a very short cab ride away.

I have stayed at the Springhill Suites Bayfront location twice before cruises. Both times I got a corner room and the views were amazing. On my first visit I could see the pier and cruise ships coming and going. Woke up early by accident and just happened to see the Wonder arrive right in front of me. The second visit I could also see the pier and got a bird’s eye view of a wedding at the hotel, which was fun.

It’s not the cheapest but I think it’s less than the Intercontinental. The earlier you can book the better, rates seem to only go up over time (but you can always cancel and rebook if they go down). I know a lot of people stay at Wyndham which is much less but I’ve heard bad things about cleanliness and upkeep at that hotel.

There is a Claim Jumper restaurant attached to the Wyndham. It's not fine dining by any stretch, but we enjoy it and it is convenient.

This is a time-lapse of our view of the Wonder as it arrived. Taken from our Bay View room:

Coronado is on my bucket list - what went wrong for your trip?
We tried both the old building rooms and the rooms on the beach with ocean view and both of them were just not very well appointed quite old and stuffy definitely not what you pay for. The grounds are beautiful though and really loved the food.
We were supposed to be there one week but we cut it short as we couldn't justify the cost and moved to the US Grant which was on a different level!

If you like Mexican food there is a new Miguel's right next to the pier where the Wonder will be docked. Really good.

There are plenty of food options if you stay in the Harbor Drive area.

The deli next to the Wyndham is very good and reasonably priced! You can sit outside and be right across the street from the Wonder....literally!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter