• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotel in miami

We stayed at the Holiday Inn - Port of Miami. It's right across the street from Bayside Marketplace which has shops and restaurants. There were also bars and live music if that's your thing. We could kind of see some ships, but not the Magic, but maybe if you were higher/at a different angle you could see more. Bayside Marketplace is essentially right next to the bridge that will take you to the little island where the port is.

It was maybe a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport (I literally walked out the door and a taxi was right there, so no issues hailing one). And then it was probably less than 10 minute taxi ride to the port (most of which was driving on the port property). Again, I walked outside of the hotel and there was a taxi right there (though they would've called one for me). I think the taxi drivers stick around the hotels on ship leaving days.

We are cruising on the Dream out of Miami in Oct and are staying at the Marriott Courtyard by the airport for a few reasons.

1) 2 Queen sized beds
2) We land late in the evening
3) Free with Marriott points

We will take a Lyft/Uber in the morning about 45 min to an hour before our port arrival time and just wait outside until we are allowed in.
As a follow up, we did need to change rooms due to someone smoking in our room before we arrived (smoking is not allowed in the hotel). For one night, the beds, showers, room were just fine and would stay there again if I cruise out of Miami. The Lyft to the port was around $20 and was an easy short ride around 20 minutes.

Has anyone stayed at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Miami International? They have a shuttle to the port in the morning and we're considering that one. Would welcome any thoughts.

I've had good luck at the Hyatt Regency in Miami. Close to the port and so very nice. We did stay at the Hyatt House at the Miami Airport on one trip and I would not recommend there. Issues with room cleanliness.

We have stayed at the Intercontinental, really close to the port and taxis available out front.

Anybody have any experience with the Marriott Biscayne Bay? We're booked there in Jan.

We are cruising on the Dream out of Miami in Oct and are staying at the Marriott Courtyard by the airport for a few reasons.

1) 2 Queen sized beds
2) We land late in the evening
3) Free with Marriott points

We will take a Lyft/Uber in the morning about 45 min to an hour before our port arrival time and just wait outside until we are allowed in.
Yes, the queen bed sold this hotel for us. We stayed here twice this year.

MJ

Last edited:

We will be staying there also.
They share a pool and courtyard with the Marriott Residence Inn and we would walk over to the Residence Inn in the morning for coffee/tea at their market. MRI has a grab and go section for some items and serve Starbucks coffee as well.

We walked a few blocks down to the Latin Cafe on LaJeune for breakfast and then again for dinner. Their food is very good. We sat outside in their courtyard eating area and it was very pleasant.

Marriott shuttle service to from hotel was very quick. We actually took a shuttle back to airport the morning of the cruise to meet our DCL transfer bus. We had a 15 month old with us so wanted to use the Disney bus instead of an Uber/Lyft. We were on the first bus to the port.

MJ

I've had good luck at the Hyatt Regency in Miami. Close to the port and so very nice. We did stay at the Hyatt House at the Miami Airport on one trip and I would not recommend there. Issues with room cleanliness.
How did you get to the port from the Hyatt? Uber?

and the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon has caught my eye for arriving the evening before. It has a free airport shuttle, free breakfast, and a Publix right across the street. It gets good reviews as well as the Hampton Inn East.
We stayed here last January and would not hesitate to stay again. The shuttle from the airport runs on the hour and there is a special pickup spot for the shuttles at the airport. If they have never done it before--tell them to "use the crosswalk and go to the other side of the barrier--they want to be on the far side where the road forks, closest to the parking garage." It may have been obvious, but after a day of travelling with two kids we could have used explicit information as to where to pick up the shuttle our first time at MIA.

Anybody have any experience with the Marriott Biscayne Bay? We're booked there in Jan.
We just stayed there one night precruise in September. It was nice but there was construction in the lobby and the entire outdoor pool area was closed for construction. This was stated on the website so it wasn't a surprise to us. We had no plans to use it so it didn't matter to us. I did book a bay/port view hoping to wake up and see the Dream from our room but the bay view/exterior wall was facing northeast, not at all at the port. It wasn't worth asking for a different room. There is a Publix with an attached liquor store just a short walk away, maybe 2 blocks. The hotel's restaurant was very expensive so we walked just a little further north of the Publix to a little Italian restaurant that was small, cozy but fantastic food called Pizza Pazza. (Pazza means crazy in Italian.) It's not at all expensive and everything is made fresh. The owner was also our server and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and light conversation with him. There is a Ferrari dealer just south of the Publix, which was pretty cool to see.

I didn't know when I booked but there is an Amazon locker just outside the hotel lobby door. I have seen it offered when I place an order but never actually saw one or used one anywhere. I would possibly have had some things delivered there if I knew.

We also walked out of our hotel and along the Venetian Causeway and watched the drawbridge lift up. We watched the Virgin cruise line ship pull out from the dock, embarking on a cruise. It's in a tight spot so it has to first leave the dock then basically turn in place 90 degrees to get to the ocean. It is one butt ugly cruise ship and despite hearing good things about Virgin Cruise Line from dh's coworker, I have no desire to cruise on one of their ships.

Another thing to note, we walked around a bit just having some time to kill the day before. You see some homelessness in the area and witnessed a couple out walking thier dog, being harassed by a group of young men. At first we thought they were all together as we exited the Publix and were walking behind them. Dh nudged me to cross the street; we did not feel comfortable intervening. Dh is 64 and is no shape to be fighting 3 young men and that's assuming they weren't carrying weapons. To this day I regret not calling 911 or doing something to help them. :sad2: :guilty: Is this just typical "city life"? I don't know; I never lived in a city but have worked over 32 years in Philly and while we hear about crime, I've never actually witnessed anything.

We booked it for the close proximity to a Publix and the port but lately I see it's very expensive. We paid around $200 + tax with AAA discount and I think that's a fair price. For my niece's cruise date it's over $400. It is definitely not worth that. We chose a 10am flight because it was so much cheaper and that's why we didn't want to spend all that time at the airport. I booked the Hampton Inn-Blue Lagoon near MIA for my niece and her family. That also has a Publix within walking distance, includes free breakfast, and is cheaper than EB.

Stayed at Courtyard by Marriott/ Airport last December. Free airport shuttle (serves 3 Marriott properties in a gated campus.). Found a great Staycation rate, including food credit. Used Lyft to Port of Miami. (Hotel offered a shuttle at ~ $12 pp. ran on a schedule. Sign up at check-in. Beautiful new Sprinter van was too high for me to access; hence, Lyft). I walked about 2 blocks to Cafe 2000 for dinner at a Latin diner. This area is a fairly major thoroughfare. I walked in the Little Havana residential neighborhood nearby. It was a quiet spot bounded by busy streets. Couldn’t find a grocery or drug store nearby / walkable.

Stayed at Hampton Inn & Suites - Brickell in April. No shuttle from airport, I think. (Part of family flew in to MIA, we flew in to FLL and took train down. Repeating FLL train combo again soon). Would stay here again for neighborhood. (I quote Dunkin and Publix as nearby features - I laughed when above poster mentioned CVS and Starbucks, because we all have our points of reference.). We had many dining choices in a multi-block area around the hotel. This area is more of a urban multi-use community. I believe the beach was very close; we didn’t have extra time to explore farther.

Both hotels are typical of their chains. Mid-level offerings. As a pre-cruise hotel, they met our needs. Not a destination resort. Hampton does have a complimentary breakfast, from which I pick and chose items to hold me over until lunch onboard. Courtyard has for-fee breakfast in the bar area.

I had booked at the new Element near the riverfront, not too far north of Brickell. As we rode past it in the way to the Hampton Inn, I was happy with my choice. There are areas of Miami where the homeless are more likely to camp; Brickell is not one of them, neither is the area around the Courtyard.
Can you tell me about your train experience? I am considering this for my trip in April but will have an almost 2 year old with me. Thanks!

Can you tell me about your train experience? I am considering this for my trip in April but will have an almost 2 year old with me. Thanks!
We just used it this month (our 2nd time for a cruise - prior was in April).

The train experience itself is wonderful.

The challenge is getting to the station. Just adds an additional step. We have done both a hotel stay in Miami and one in Fort Lauderdale, arriving the day before the cruise. This decision was based on our flight arrival. I prefer getting to Miami, but will take into consideration hotel and flight costs.

Brightline train will pick you up if you are within 5 miles of the station. (This might only apply to the higher priced tickets - I still haven’t gotten this straight - we have gotten it with both levels of tickets).

Here’s our experiences: (items in bold = $. Items underlined = free).

1) April 2022, Disney. Flight to FLL. Arrived midday. Taxi to Ft L Brightline Station (>5 miles). Train ride. Arrive Miami Central Station. Attempted to use free Metromover - not in service. Took Lyft to Hampton Inn Miami Brickell. Next day - Lyft to Port of Miami.

Disembarked ship. Lyft to Miami Central Station. Train to Ft L train station. Free shuttle (Sprinter van - just 2 of us) to FLL. Flight home.

2) October 2022, MSC. Flight to FLL. Arrived after midnight. Hotel shuttle to Tru Hotel. Lyft to Ft L Brightline train station. Train to Miami Central Station. Free shuttle (full 15 person van) to Port of Miami. Had to wait due to large parties filling van multiple times prior to our arrival; we were still within our assigned arrival time.

Disembarked ship. Unable to connect to phone service due to use volume or signal location. Spent nearly one hour after disembarkation trying to book Lyft. Got in taxi queue for ride to train station. (flat rate now $27). Train to Ft L. Free shuttle to Bahia Mar Resort on Ft L beach. Next morning - Lyft to FLL for early morning flight (5:30).

Notes: Most of our Lyft rides were in the $20s. I usually pick an XL to be in an SUV; personal preference.

Brightline train tickets cost more when bought day-of use (and can increase in price when quota of entry price tickets is met). Children (up to 4 kids per family?) are free. We paid $17 pp in advance for OW in Smart Class. We tried First Class (Select) for $27 pp OW on our last trip. It includes snacks in the waiting lounge and onboard. Yogurt, fruit, pastries, juices, canned Pepsi products, coffee, tea, beer and wine were among the offerings during morning lounge hours. Onboard, one less seat per row - but essentially the same carriages. Clean and new accommodations with a large restroom per car (about 4 cars). Some seats have a table (my choice. Luggage rack at the end of the car (I select this area, also, to be near my luggage.)

Day-of tickets on our return were $27 for Smart and $47 for Select. I think we should have pre-purchased our tickets and moved the train time, if needed. I guess that will be for the next trip.

They changed their luggage policy. Now, large bags have a $10 fee and must be checked. A large, 28” bag is in this category. I think a medium 24” bag would fit. Should be on the website.

The free shuttle to our Ft L beach resort was an electric Gem car. Seat belts and doors - yes; but very similar to a golf cart.

Brightline trains currently offer an excellent customer experience - friendly, helpful employees, modern and clean facilities and trains.

We have been seated near families with children on our rides. The consensus was it was so much nicer than a plane or car/van.

Would we do it again? Yes. I don’t need the lounge and it’s food for $10 more per OW ride.

Brightline. Smart-level carriage. Our bags in luggage rack - they would now be an extra $10 OW per bag and in Checked baggage area. My seat is by the window on right side of photo. Area for wheelchair seating (+ companion) behind my seat. I am forward facing in direction of travel. Restroom is past the doorway.

There are USB ports in the seats (or table?). Looks like overhead storage is available.

You could probably use the luggage area to store a stroller. I did not see any other luggage than ours any trip.

No seat belts. Seats have a limited recline.

BF76BB43-1169-4AA1-849C-BEE683604637.jpeg

When did you stay there? That's what I have booked for March, but the recent reviews look pretty negative. When we did Alaska last summer we booked a hotel where we could watch the ship come in, and we loved it, so that's why the Doubletree caught my eye.
We stay there in June and September 2022. 38A8D2C6-E621-4AF2-A300-5B7AF07C23FD.jpeg33CB6294-51D2-4FE0-AAC3-D995CF14EAE8.jpeg
I didn’t take photos of room but here is the view from balcony. The room was nice. The first time they had to turn water off in morning for maintenance but they gave us points for inconvenience. We had taken our showers early. We did room service for dinner one stay and breakfast another.

Attachments

• 38A8D2C6-E621-4AF2-A300-5B7AF07C23FD.jpeg
    38A8D2C6-E621-4AF2-A300-5B7AF07C23FD.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 6
How long ago was your negative experience at the Hyatt House? I booked there over the Regency because the House generally has better reviews but the Regency looks like it’ll be much more convenient. We’re just staying the one night but it would be nice to have close food options and some place to buy water and snacks for the cruise.

How long ago was your negative experience at the Hyatt House? I booked there over the Regency because the House generally has better reviews but the Regency looks like it’ll be much more convenient. We’re just staying the one night but it would be nice to have close food options and some place to buy water and snacks for the cruise.

It was almost 4 years ago. Our negative experiences were around cleanliness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter