Hotel help please!

Laur0406

Mouseketeer
I'm not sure why I'm so overwhelmed with hotels, I really don't know where to stay this time! We're going in March. Keep in mind that we're Canadian, so cooler weather won't take us away from pools/waterpark :) I currently have 3 hotels booked, but each one has really good and really bad reviews. Looking for some advice. They are all approximately the same price (within $300 over 9 days). We are a family of 3 - two adults, one 9 y/o and will have a rental car for 2-3 nights (not on planned park days).
  1. Residence Inn by Marriott Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, 1 bedroom suite (king bed in bedroom, sofabed in living room) (we stayed here 5 years ago and we're happy with it).
    1. Pros: Nice, but basic pool; good breakfast. Near restaurants and shopping. Spacious room w/kitchen.
    2. Cons: not close walking distance, ART not always on schedule
  2. Cambria Hotel Anaheim Resort Area (2 queen room)
    1. Pros: breakfast and has water park for non-park days.
    2. Cons: Smaller room, not walking distance
  3. Howard Johnson by Wyndham Anaheim Hotel & Water Playground (2 Double Beds, Economy Room, Buildings 3-6)
    1. Pros: water park, walking distance from the parks
    2. Cons: I'm hearing the rooms in the older buildings are not good and dirty, no breakfast included
  4. Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim Resort - Convention Center (2 QUEEN BEDS 1 BEDROOM SUITE)
    1. Pros: Spacious room with kitchen and dining area, walking distance to Toy Story parking lot, pool, breakfast
    2. Cons: not quite walking distance
Does anyone have any advice? I'm leaning towards the Howard Johnson and Homewood suites because of the convenience factor - now that my son is older I think we'd benefit from taking a break in the middle of the day and going back to stay until close, but I'm pretty concerned about the state of the rooms in buildings 3-6 based on reviews. Also obviously I'd prefer breakfast be included but with a fridge in the room, we can easily have something in our room before heading to the parks.

Last edited:
We loved HoJo when our kids were younger. I think our daughter was 9 when we stayed there. Pay for a premium room in building 1 and you'll be fine. There's a Panera and a McDonald's on your way to/from the parks so you can pick up breakfast if you don't get your own groceries. My daughter loved the water play area and made friends with some kids who were also staying there.

We loved HoJo when our kids were younger. I think our daughter was 9 when we stayed there. Pay for a premium room in building 1 and you'll be fine. There's a Panera and a McDonald's on your way to/from the parks so you can pick up breakfast if you don't get your own groceries. My daughter loved the water play area and made friends with some kids who were also staying there.
Thanks! Specifically looking for feedback on Buildings 3-6...we're already paying so much for this trip especially with the CAD-USD exchange rate so I'm not really looking to spend more on the hotel. If the rooms in buildings 3-6 are that bad, I just won't stay there :)

We just returned from 6 nights at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites on Manchester. I would 100% stay here again. Easy walk to the parks, the hotel is new, clean, large rooms, we had 2 queen beds (Howard Johnson is double beds, that is just too small for us) with nice linens, blankets and an assortment of wonderful pillows along with a nice sectional couch that was also a sleeper, Micro, fridge and coffee maker. The complimentary breakfast was the best I have ever had as a "free" breakfast. It was good, well replenished and well stocked. We were a party of 8, the breakfast made a huge difference. There was also a nice outdoor pool and hot tub and a very friendly helpful staff.

We just returned from 6 nights at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites on Manchester. I would 100% stay here again. Easy walk to the parks, the hotel is new, clean, large rooms, we had 2 queen beds (Howard Johnson is double beds, that is just too small for us) with nice linens, blankets and an assortment of wonderful pillows along with a nice sectional couch that was also a sleeper, Micro, fridge and coffee maker. The complimentary breakfast was the best I have ever had as a "free" breakfast. It was good, well replenished and well stocked. We were a party of 8, the breakfast made a huge difference. There was also a nice outdoor pool and hot tub and a very friendly helpful staff.
Thanks. For our dates, it's more expensive than the others ($500 more than the Homewood Suites, for example, which is the most expensive on our list). I'm pretty set on these on one of these 4 hotels based on pricing, reviews, location, etc.

Last edited:
We have always stayed at the Homewood Suites. On our last trip the newer Hampton Inn on Katella was less expensive, and the walk to the Toy Story Lot seemed even shorter than Homewood Suites. We always use the free shuttle at the TS lot, and this last trip enjoyed the fact that you clear security before you board the bus so no waiting at the Harbor entrance.

Have you tried the Residence Inn Convention Center? Nice rooms, good breakfast and 10-15 minute walk to the park (depending on how tired you are).
Yes... unfortunately most of the Marriott hotels seem to be priced much higher than the others. I got lucky with the price I got on the residence Inn by booking months ago.

Of those, I’d pick Howard Johnson for the proximity

Have you looked at the family suites at both The Anaheim Dessert Inn and the Camelot Inn?

I know that you are looking for opinions on just a few hotels, but I would suggest taking a look at the Tropicana Inn and Suites. It is on Harbor, directly across the street from Disneyland. We have stayed there a few times, and it is my go to if not staying on property. It also has a great coffee bar for grabbing coffee or a latte on your way out in the morning.

We have always stayed at the Homewood Suites. On our last trip the newer Hampton Inn on Katella was less expensive, and the walk to the Toy Story Lot seemed even shorter than Homewood Suites. We always use the free shuttle at the TS lot, and this last trip enjoyed the fact that you clear security before you board the bus so no waiting at the Harbor entrance.
Is this new? Don’t they drop you off at the same entrance as everyone else on the Harbor side? How would you not have to wait in the security line?

Is this new? Don’t they drop you off at the same entrance as everyone else on the Harbor side? How would you not have to wait in the security line?

They’ve been doing this for a while. I’m not sure exactly how long. We did this Dec. 12-14, 2022.
Yes, same entrance area off Harbor.
The bus pulls up to a dedicated area on the south side (toward DCA) that is barricaded from the rest and you just walk through. You couldn’t go through security if you wanted to.

I’ll attach 2 pictures. The green roofline on the left is security. The bus drops you in the area at the bottom of the picture where you see the blue bus icon. You walk on that paved path between the trees.
In the second picture, I circled the fence barricade. It's a clear path - no security on the near side where you would enter.

Attachments

• B6467F4E-2EFE-469B-9540-6702EE9E5AF4.png
    B6467F4E-2EFE-469B-9540-6702EE9E5AF4.png
    311.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 0450A3B1-6B0A-44F4-ADBF-809AE9A81ECB.jpeg
    0450A3B1-6B0A-44F4-ADBF-809AE9A81ECB.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I believe Toy Story lot only has the security check until 11am….then after that you have to go through security with everyone else at the harbor side entrance. Please correct me if I am mistaken!

Residence Inn- we have not stayed there yet. Rooms look really nice though! The walk isn’t too terrible, we would just walk if we were staying at that hotel.

Cambria- we stayed here and loved it! Staff was awesome, breakfast was great, room size and layout was also one we loved. There are food options in the same parking lot along with a Starbucks, which was super handy to have. We alternated between walking to the parks and walking to Toy Story and using the feee shuttles to the parks. It worked great for us. We also easily walked to cheesecake factory for dinner on arrival day.

Homewood suites-we stayed when the parks were still closed and things were nowhere near being normal. We didn’t get to experience the hot breakfast there. We only got a grab and go option. That being said, our room was pretty beat up and I think the property Overall needs a refresh. The size of the room was fantastic. We also tried to use the pool area in the evening and it was overrun with crickets. Which grossed us out so we left. Lol. You could also use Toy Story shuttle from this hotel if you didn’t want to walk. I would try this one again if the hotel gets a refresh.

Hojo-we LOVE Hojo, but I would not stay in the double rooms unless it was just me and one other person. They are smaller and still lovely, but it would be pretty cramped for our family (2 adults and 2 teens). Hojo grounds are beautiful and customer service there has always been top notch. Plus, a fairly easy walk with food options close by.

Good luck with your decision. ☺️

I have stayed at both Hojo and Homewood suites and like them both. Hojo has large rooms, even almost all of the 3-6 buildings. The beds are so comfortable! Great service, excellent convenience store. 8 minute walk feels really long at end of the day. Homewood also has good size rooms with full kitchen. Breakfast is excellent, so is service. Shuttles run continuously from Toy Story lot next door. Bear in mind I haven't stayed at either of these places for a while as I'm from NZ, but I think both are good choices.

I have stayed at both Hojo and Homewood suites and like them both. Hojo has large rooms, even almost all of the 3-6 buildings. The beds are so comfortable! Great service, excellent convenience store. 8 minute walk feels really long at end of the day. Homewood also has good size rooms with full kitchen. Breakfast is excellent, so is service. Shuttles run continuously from Toy Story lot next door. Bear in mind I haven't stayed at either of these places for a while as I'm from NZ, but I think both are good choices.
Are the rooms in building 3-6 clean? I don't mind old, but definitely don't want rundown and dirty!

I believe Toy Story lot only has the security check until 11am….then after that you have to go through security with everyone else at the harbor side entrance. Please correct me if I am mistaken!

Residence Inn- we have not stayed there yet. Rooms look really nice though! The walk isn’t too terrible, we would just walk if we were staying at that hotel.

Cambria- we stayed here and loved it! Staff was awesome, breakfast was great, room size and layout was also one we loved. There are food options in the same parking lot along with a Starbucks, which was super handy to have. We alternated between walking to the parks and walking to Toy Story and using the feee shuttles to the parks. It worked great for us. We also easily walked to cheesecake factory for dinner on arrival day.

Homewood suites-we stayed when the parks were still closed and things were nowhere near being normal. We didn’t get to experience the hot breakfast there. We only got a grab and go option. That being said, our room was pretty beat up and I think the property Overall needs a refresh. The size of the room was fantastic. We also tried to use the pool area in the evening and it was overrun with crickets. Which grossed us out so we left. Lol. You could also use Toy Story shuttle from this hotel if you didn’t want to walk. I would try this one again if the hotel gets a refresh.

Hojo-we LOVE Hojo, but I would not stay in the double rooms unless it was just me and one other person. They are smaller and still lovely, but it would be pretty cramped for our family (2 adults and 2 teens). Hojo grounds are beautiful and customer service there has always been top notch. Plus, a fairly easy walk with food options close by.

Good luck with your decision. ☺️
Omg overrun by crickets???? Lol I've never heard of such a thing!! Was the Homewood still clean? I don't mind an older room at long as the beds are comfy and it's a decent place to relax on our downtime.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not thrilled about sharing a double bed with my husband tbh! He's 6'4" and neither one of us are small people lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter