Hot Toys for the Holidays 2023

DisneyFan32WI

Grumpy Cat
What are the must-have toys for 2023?

My husband has grandchildren, and they are 2.5 and 3 years of age. I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to the hot toys.

I remember my mom waiting for hours at Toys-R-Us when I was around 9 to get me a Cabbage Patch doll.

What are the must-have toys for 2023?

My husband has grandchildren, and they are 2.5 and 3 years of age. I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to the hot toys.

I remember my mom waiting for hours at Toys-R-Us when I was around 9 to get me a Cabbage Patch doll.
I don't think at that age the toy is really going to matter (whether it's "popular" or not). It's when kids get around age 7(?) and up that popularity will really come into play.

I will have to say that the big hot holiday toys for 2023 will be popular toys based on movies. Starting with Disney's Wish toys we will see a huge sellout of Disney's Wish toys and I can tell you grab anything Disney's Wish when you see it because it will be hot and be hard to find as Christmas comes. Another hot toy for 2023 is Monster High dolls especially since Paramount+ has released new live-action Monster High movies and since Mattel has began a new line of Monster High dolls I can tell Monster High dolls will be big again for years. Also Paw Patrol will be popular in toys this year since the Paw Patrol movie is in theaters and people will buy Paw Patrol toys because Paw Patrol is a hit with toddlers. And Marvel action figures will be huge with the release of the movie The Marvels and since everybody loves Marvel action figures they will be sought after for Christmas

When it comes to hot holiday toys every year I can never figure out why some toys become hot but aren't the success people thought they would be. Take for instance I never figured out why Furby became a popular toy in 1999 and people went wild over it? Because when I saw the commercial for Furby I thought they were creepy looking and my mom got one that was pink colored and when Mom and I played with our Furby to see how it worked Furby freaked both of us out and how Furby ever made it into toy stores is beyond me because they were weird to me and now Furby is back in a new style and is very popular again this year. Another toy that was popular that inspired an avalanche of Sesame Street toys to be popular was Tickle Me Elmo and when I first saw it I thought it was also weird but based on the Tickle Me Elmo popularity they released a whole line of Sesame Street Tickle Me characters in the Tickle Me Elmo series and Sesame Street toys became popular again when Sing And Snore Ernie came out for Christmas and was sold out after it's debut on shelves. When you look at the general picture when it comes to toys I think electronic interactive toys have become very popular with toys such as Magic Mixies and board games with interactive phone/tablet apps have replaced the once popular Christmas toys that kids grew up on long ago. Because it used to be that dolls and stuffed animals were the most popular toys on Santa's Wish List because dolls and stuffed animals were great for kids to use their imagination and enable pretend play. And you had actual board games that were actually fun to play with and art supplies were popular too. But if you look at infant and toddler toys they are now electronic and have a phone app which really a infant or toddler cannot use yet but also toys that said your name were huge for infants and toddlers too. But I think we need to see the traditional toys like board games and arts and crafts based toys and dolls make a comeback to hot holiday toys once again

Ask the parents what their kids are interested in. If the next hot thing is a Barbie Dreamhouse, but the kid likes to draw, then don't give a Barbie Dreamhouse, but a nice colouring set.

And in addition, ask the parents what they want their kids to have. I know parents who do not like toys which make sound. Some prefer to have non-battery / wooden toys / no screen.

At that age kids are too young for peer pressure so buying the next hot thing is more about showing off to the other parents, or it is the result of a good marketing campaign.

I usually ask the parents of our relatives with small children what they like/already have/etc. when deciding what to buy for Christmas. Saves me from guessing or the parents having to return something this is a duplicate they already have. Even if something is supposedly 'popular' it may not be a toy that their children are interested in having.

For that age, I know Paw Patrol and Bluey are very popular. Maybe CoComelon too if they watch it. When my kids were that age, they were into pretend play toys too (play food sets, vet sets, ect.).

Sing And Snore Ernie came out for Christmas and was sold out after it's debut on shelves.

that doll was HAUNTED! we got one for our oldest and it would activate with no one touching/no one in the room. we would all be in the living room and from the other side of the house we would hear earnie loudly yawn and say 'i'm so sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy' then start snoring. it was FREAKY o_O

my oldest got one of the first year's tickle me elmo entirely without the buying stress. mil happened to be out shopping in something like august of that year and saw a display (before the pandemonium over buying them happened), grabbed it and set it aside for christmas. when she told me about it in november i asked if she knew she had THE hottest toy of the year-no idea.

Thankfully, hot toys don't matter much at that age. Plus with streaming, my kid never sees commercials!

He is 3. Doesn't like Bluey (I wish he did!) or Paw Patrol. He does like Mickey, but IMO character attraction varies wildly with kids since there are so.many.shows now. Best to not go with a character unless you know for sure.

We also just don't buy much character driven stuff. It ages fast. I lean more Montessori or non-electronic, as it ages well for several years and is typically sturdy. Ideas:

- wagon (the small one they pull), ride-on cars, balance bike, scooter
- water table
- play kitchen
- little tykes basketball hoop
- wood blocks
- wood or sturdy cars/trucks/boats/construction vehicles
- wood train set
- magnatiles
- legos (duplo)
- small play house with dolls
- cleaning set (Melissa and Doug has a great one!)
- plastic dinosaurs
- toddler digital camera
- toddler skates
- ride on Power Wheel
- sit and spin (old school one)
- wood musical instruments
- this game is GREAT: Sneaky Snacky Squirrel
- Hungry Hungry Hippo game
- This dinosaur game

Also, check and see if their parents have an Amazon list for them. Our parents live states away and don't know what he has already so we keep a running list on Amazon for inspiration for them.

Another childhood toy I had and i'm not sure if Playskool still makes them today is Busy Beads and that's a toy your grandchildren will love "I know I liked my Playskool Busy Beads a lot when I was four" But as I grew older I was still into dolls but my dolls were Barbies and baby dolls and you can check drug stores for baby doll sets that come with a make believe baby bottle and baby care accessories and that would be perfect for your grandaughter and I believe Hasbro has Disney Princess baby dolls that feature Tiana Ariel Snow White Moana Aurora and many other Disney princesses are featured too. You should try looking at stuffed animals especially ones made by Aurora World and Wild Republic and they are great for grandkids too

I've heard there is this doll that is a replica of a famous muppet character and will laugh hysterically if you fondle it. It probably won't go anywhere though.
I returned a tickle me Elmo because it scared the carp out of my toddler ! The clerk was like wait, you are returning this before Christmas ? I said yup. It was a birthday fail !

my oldest is 29-anything bluey will be a hit for HIM :rotfl:
I saw an article yesterday at there is a Bluey video game coming out. I think I am going to get it for my Brother in Law for Christmas - he enjoys Bluey more than their toddlers do :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter