Hot, humid weather - any reason not to wear shorts?

CarolynFH

DIS Veteran
I'm new at this, training for the 5K at WDW Marathon Weekend. The heat and humidity around here is on the rise, but most of the women I see running/walking in my neighborhood are wearing capris (mostly black or dark colored) instead of shorts. It seems to me that light-colored shorts would be cooler and more comfortable to run in. Is there any reason other than personal preference/style to wear capris as opposed to shorts? I'm just beginning to buy running clothes, so I don't want to invest in a lot of shorts if capris would benefit me in some way physically (help me run faster/avoid injury, etc.)

TIA!

It's a personal preference. If you are comfortable in shorts, I would suggest you wear shorts.

Agreed that you should wear whatever you like. I wear mostly capris or compression shorts that are on the long side - just above the knee.

Reason = shorts ride up. The longer ones stay put.

Shorts can be tricky sometimes with riding up or chaffing. I like running in skirts with compression shorts underneath. A little bit of spandex on the thighs can do wonders to prevent chaffing - but when it's really hot, shorts are more comfortable. And then there's body glide.

Ultimately, wear whatever you like and are comfortable in.

I wear capris because I have giant thighs and no thigh gap until an inch or two above my knees though I will admit my favorite capris are not black but pink and purple or blue and purple. I have friends that run in shorts all summer though and they love it. I will say there are times where black capris are much safer on long runs.

Agreed that you should wear whatever you like. I wear mostly capris or compression shorts that are on the long side - just above the knee.

Reason = shorts ride up. The longer ones stay put.

My sentiments exactly! I run in capris when training because they don't go anywhere and are super comfy to run in.

And I live in Florida! Heat doesn't matter much for me in capris, but rest assure I'm running in a sports bra and/or tank top!

Race day, I wear the Sparkle Tech Skirts.

Yeah, what other's said, you where whatever is comfortable to you. They may be wearing capris because they don't want to chafe with shorts or deal with them riding up or who knows. I prefer skirtsports skirts with the shorties underneath that don't move on me. I can do shorts if they are longer, I have some shorter ones that I just don't wear much.

Chub rub keeps me in capris. I cannot deal with thigh chaffing, and body glide can only do so much. If you're comfortable in shorts go for it!! A lot of ladies love running skirts and I just can't get comfortable in them. Sometimes you can also see right through lighter colored capris so that might be why some stick with the darker colors.

I'd say get one of each and see what works for you.

There's not performance enhancing benefits to one over the other, it's about comfort. Comfort, and the shape of your thighs. My bff and I are basically the same height and weight, but differently proportaions, and she of the slender thighs wears those breezy looking running shorts. It looks great, I can practically feel the cooling nether breeze, but alas, my thighs are larger and don't really taper until just before my knees, so all loose shorts tend to just bunch up in the crotch type area- an unattractive, distracting, uncomfortable diaper like mess.

I like capris- Athleta makes a really light material version- it actually feels like my legs are being cooled, but sometimes the capris that are good in the heat should not be worn in the lighter colors, because they are tighter than the flowy shorts, and a thinner fabric than usual running tights, so sweaty upper thighs can make it look like you wet your pants. Darker is safer.

I tried a skirt for the first time for the Princess Half. Again, it depends on your legs, you have to try them and see. I learned that 5" compression shorts that come underneath most skirts are at least 1 inch too short to prevent chafing on my gams- so I actually wore a pair of underarmour heatgear 7" compression shorts under the skirt and it's shorts. (I was surprisingly comfortable despite the odd arrangement) Those heatgear shorts are probably my new favorite summer bottoms- just long enough. But again, in black or something dark- because tight fitting.

I keep thinking one of these days I'm going to lose enough weight that I too, will be able to wear those fluttery little shorts without spending the whole run pulling them back down, but I think it's a pipe dream. If could wear them without annoyance, I totally would.

There's not performance enhancing benefits to one over the other, it's about comfort. Comfort, and the shape of your thighs. My bff and I are basically the same height and weight, but differently proportaions, and she of the slender thighs wears those breezy looking running shorts. It looks great, I can practically feel the cooling nether breeze, but alas, my thighs are larger and don't really taper until just before my knees, so all loose shorts tend to just bunch up in the crotch type area- an unattractive, distracting, uncomfortable diaper like mess.
I know this feeling. My bff does the same thing (except she's much shorter) but those shorts look wonderful.

Another vote for personal preference. I wear capris when it is cooler but have switched to shorts now (over 80 today). I wear tight/compression shorts due to bunching. I just got over the fact that I have fat tights and would never, usually, go out in tight shorts. If people have enough time to worry about my thighs while I'm out running, then they have too much time on their hands. I've tried skirts but they don't work for me (plus I think I look like a dork in running skirts. Not sure why, because I don't think other people wearing them look like dorks, but I I don't like the look on me (even though, in daily life, I am almost always in skirts and dresses)).

I have a pair of longer shorts made of the same material as most compression capri's. They are black Nike shorts but they have a longer inseam than the short- shorts. I mean, they aren't super long, just not the really really short versions.
I will say it took me awhile to realize I look fine in them...because I'm too hard on myself.
The only reason I do not get a lighter color is because of sweat. Black hides sweat. I do tend to go very light colored for my tank tops during the summer.

I thought of a reason you may be seeing a lot of capris right now. It's just starting to get warm out. A lot of people probably bought running clothes for early spring and just have not switch over yet. I honestly have not dug out my shorts yet when I think about it. I'm still heading to the gym in my long tights and capris. But my next long run outside I'll likely pull them out. So you may just be seeing the season not quite turn over. Come July I bet you see a lot more shorts/skirts showing up.

Any suggestions on moisture wicking underwear? I'm hesitant to try any due to the cost of most of them. And while I am VIP at road runner and can try things for 90 I feel weird doing it with underwear. Have done it with several different socks and I'm still not happy with any over 5 to 6 miles.

I would be curious as well. I find that silky material does a good job but if someone has a recommendation in that department I'd be up for trying it.

If wearing compression type shorts/capris, commando. Advice I received from a couple of running coaches.

Any suggestions on moisture wicking underwear? I'm hesitant to try any due to the cost of most of them. And while I am VIP at road runner and can try things for 90 I feel weird doing it with underwear. Have done it with several different socks and I'm still not happy with any over 5 to 6 miles.
Husband likes Nike dri-fit boxer briefs.
I would be curious as well. I find that silky material does a good job but if someone has a recommendation in that department I'd be up for trying it.
I found fit to be most important. Fabric type didn't seem to matter as much - but insist weight and my underwear was a little too big, and it would chafe me. (TMI) Recently started going commando, quite nice. :)

If wearing compression type shorts/capris, commando. Advice I received from a couple of running coaches.
This - solves chafing problems, bunching problems and wicking problems. I wear running shorts with no liner over them in the summer and longer pants over them in the winter, but compression shorts are always my bottom layer.

Husband likes Nike dri-fit boxer briefs.

I found fit to be most important. Fabric type didn't seem to matter as much - but insist weight and my underwear was a little too big, and it would chafe me. (TMI) Recently started going commando, quite nice. :)
I started out commando but the way my capris seams lay it has a terrible tendency to chafe after more than 3 miles. My current undies seem to work quite well so I'll probably keep them around for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter