Hot drink mix from the 70s

bethbuchall

DIS Veteran
Does anyone remember a powdered drink mix similar to Tang that you mixed up with hot water? I want to say that it had a Scandinavian-sounding name or was advertised that way. I remember an orange spice version and a red one that I think was apple-cinnamon. My mother vaguely remembers it but neither of us can come up with a name. Everyone else that I've asked looks at me blankly, including my brother. I've tried various search terms, and I'm not coming up with anything there either. I graduated high school in 1982, and I remember being younger than high school age when we had it, so it was probably around in the mid-70s.

I just keep finding ‘Russian Tea’ and ‘Friendship Tea’ recipes for an instant hot tea drinks like that.

Maybe the company was small so the brand name isn’t easy to find today.

Store brand? What state are you in, what store did mom go to back then?

Maybe these? Is it possible you remember them hot because the mixes start with hot water then you add cold water and refrigerate like with Jello?

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 3.24.29 PM.png

Last edited:
That is possible, I guess. We lived in Western NY at the time, and I think she primarily shopped at Tops.

I just keep finding ‘Russian Tea’ and ‘Friendship Tea’ recipes for an instant hot tea drinks like that.

Maybe the company was small so the brand name isn’t easy to find today.
That's what I found while searching, too. This definitely came in a glass jar and wasn't something we mixed up. It's hard to believe that there is nothing to find about it, but maybe it was a small company or the product didn't last long. I can still "taste" the orange one.

Maybe these? Is it possible you remember them hot because the mixes start with hot water then you add cold water and refrigerate like with Jello?

View attachment 815988
I remember those, too! And also some sort of fizzy tablets that made a drink.

The one I’m thinking of was in a glass jar and resembled Tang powder with the sugar already in it. Thanks for trying!

Glass jar? Hmmm, I remember mostly No Frills at the time and do not remember any fancy drinks like that coming pre mixed that would be liquid. This one maybe

View attachment 815991
I remember Five Alive, too! We did always have OJ from frozen concentrate growing up and had this at times. The product I’m trying to remember was in powder form like Tang and came in a glass jar. You missed it with hot/boiling water to make a warm drink. Thanks for trying and for that memory!

I remember Five Alive, too! We did always have OJ from frozen concentrate growing up and had this at times. The product I’m trying to remember was in powder form like Tang and came in a glass jar. You missed it with hot/boiling water to make a warm drink. Thanks for trying and for that memory!

I feel like it's a long-shot, but was it Nestea?

1701896376008.png

I don't know if there were different flavors, and it's still around today so I figure you'd remember it. Still, here are the jars, and one of them shows it being served hot - though I think it's the same thing. Maybe it'd at least jog your memory more?

Are you thinking of Postum? My grandmother used to drink it. I think it was marketed as a caffeine-free alternative to coffee.

IMG_0921.jpeg

Neither of those! Thanks! Maybe it will pop into my head one of these days out of nowhere.

I remember the drink. It was a hot, spiced apple cider drink mix. Ours came in packets like hot chocolate mix does. You dissolve the whole thing in hot water. Don't recall it having any special name though. There might be other versions of it though.

I remember the drink. It was a hot, spiced apple cider drink mix. Ours came in packets like hot chocolate mix does. You dissolve the whole thing in hot water. Don't recall it having any special name though. There might be other versions of it though.
They still sell that in the stores. We have some in the house right now.
1701911378066.png

I have no idea what the brand was, but we just called it "spiced tea". My mom and grandma had a recipe for making their own mix that you could scoop into a mug and pour boiling water over. I'll have to ask what exactly is in it, but I think it's instant tea, Tang, lemonade, and spices.

Honestly, it may have already not been sold in stores by the time I was a kid (born in '81) so maybe that's why they made their own version. I have seen the hot apple cider packets that someone else posted, but they are not the same taste.

I remember PDQ drink mix, could be made cold or hot. They made three flavors, Chocolate, Strawberry and Egg Nog that was available year round. It was made by Ovaltine photo.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter