Hoping to get some clarification on cancelling special event tickets.

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
I have to cancel my MVMCP tickets and I have been told a few different things from CM's, so I wanted to come here to the experts.

#1. I was told two different things about how you "cancel your tickets". I was told to call the number on the bottom of my confirmation email (which says it's not in service when I call) and the other person says there is no way to cancel it and I should just not attend the party and they will be a credit on my account. I am not comfortable with this.

#2. I was told by one person I can use them for any ticket purchase and the other said I can only use it for special ticketed events. That way kind of stinks because my tickets were $200 each for the party and most special event tickets are less that than. Sometimes quite a bit less.

#3. I was told that I can use the unused ticket for anybody and it does not have to be the person on the ticket. Does this sound correct?

If anyone can help provide some clarity for me, that would be amazing. Also, if someone has a phone number I can call to cancel my tickets to make sure they are credited to my account, that would be fantastic.

It is a sold out party and I wish there was a way to sell them to someone that really wanted to go, instead of leaving them unused.

Thank you in advance!

Can't answer all of your questions as I've heard various replies to the credit and how and what it can be used for. I do know that the tickets are not refundable, but they won't lose their value. Also, it is not permitted to sell the tickets to another person. That could get you in some trouble with Disney if they were to find out (offering them for sale online). I do believe you can reassign the tickets to another person if you give them to that person.

Special events tickets have always been non refundable. I bought tickets for 2 Disney an after Hours events for next year when they were presale for resort guests, so I had to call. The CM told me if we can’t attend, we could use them as a credit towards a future special event. A few posters have said they were told they could use the credit towards an AP renewal or a regular ticket. But I’ve only read that a few times & only in the last few months. I don’t know if anyone has been able to actually use it that way. The majority of posters have been told credit is for special events, which makes sense since it is a special event ticket to begin with. The way Disney has everything separate, it makes sense that the money is in the special events budget, so that’s where your credit is.

Tickets are also sold as nontransferable. However, you are able to reassign tickets to others in your MDE friends & family list. They apparently consider that different than selling them outright.

1. There is no way to cancel your ticket. Yes it is a stupid system. Even since they don’t issue refunds they should allow people to cancel for Disney’s own corporate gain so they can re-sell the tickets. Alas that thinking is waaaay beyond their IT Dept, as you saw they can’t even figure out how phone numbers work.

2. Grey area. CMs are telling people both special events only and normal tickets too. The black and white policy is you bought a non-refundable ticket and are owed $0. Therefore any value you can extract is a win. If you want max value try to use it on tickets and if it doesn’t work pick another Xmas party down the line- or wait a couple years for Disney inflation to catch up to you for the other events.

I have to cancel my MVMCP tickets and I have been told a few different things from CM's, so I wanted to come here to the experts.
I don’t believe there is any specific written policy about credits for holiday parties. Until relatively recently WDW stuck to the “non-refundable” language printed on the tickets/receipt. They have always worked with folks who had emergencies arise, but with everyone sharing on social media how to get a refund, I think they have unofficially shifted to credits. You’ll need to call and see what you are offered. Be sure to make note of the ticket numbers and value (per ticket) because it will disappear from your view in MDE.

As for sharing or passing along tickets — if you have family/friend/neighbor/colleague who can use the ticket then you simply need to connect via MDE and transfer it.

I can speak to the process of "canceling" MNSSHP tickets. In all cases I have called the main ticket phone number before hand and been told I didn't need to call. You keep the ticket order number and call back after the event to exchange your ticket's value for a future special event. Prior to 2023 I was told ticket value could go to any ticket, but this year I was told only special event tickets. Ticket value is good supposedly forever but they will encourage you to use it in 1 or 2 years.

Most recently in August we got sick and couldn't attend a sold-out MNSSHP. We called two weeks later and used the full value of those tickets plus more money to purchase an October ticket. You cannot get a refund so if you attend a party that costs $169 and your ticket was $199, you will lose $30 in value. However, you can add money to the value, so if you have a $199 ticket and want to buy 2 $169 special event tickets you can just give them your charge card. (This is what I did this year.)

We've never had to give a name for the new ticket or provided a name for the old ticket, just the ticket order number. We had assigned the tickets in MyDisneyExperience, but none of the phone operators asked about that or seemed to care. So I suspect you'd be able to use the ticket value to purchase any ticket, but YMMV.

I can speak to the process of "canceling" MNSSHP tickets. In all cases I have called the main ticket phone number before hand and been told I didn't need to call. You keep the ticket order number and call back after the event to exchange your ticket's value for a future special event. Prior to 2023 I was told ticket value could go to any ticket, but this year I was told only special event tickets. Ticket value is good supposedly forever but they will encourage you to use it in 1 or 2 years.

Most recently in August we got sick and couldn't attend a sold-out MNSSHP. We called two weeks later and used the full value of those tickets plus more money to purchase an October ticket. You cannot get a refund so if you attend a party that costs $169 and your ticket was $199, you will lose $30 in value. However, you can add money to the value, so if you have a $199 ticket and want to buy 2 $169 special event tickets you can just give them your charge card. (This is what I did this year.)

We've never had to give a name for the new ticket or provided a name for the old ticket, just the ticket order number. We had assigned the tickets in MyDisneyExperience, but none of the phone operators asked about that or seemed to care. So I suspect you'd be able to use the ticket value to purchase any ticket, but YMMV.
This is REALLY helpful thank you! Since our tickets were $200 each, I was hoping to be able to use one of our 4 $200 tickets to purchase 2 after hours tickets ($125.00 each) and then just pay the difference. Then I would still have 3 tickets to put towards other special even tickets.

Maybe it depends on the reason, but I was supposed to attend the MNSSHP back in 2016 and couldn't go because I ended up having surgery. They gave me a refund. But that was ages ago and I had a medical reason. We rescheduled our trip to February from October, but there aren't parties in February so they gave me a refund.

1. There is no way to cancel your ticket. Yes it is a stupid system. Even since they don’t issue refunds they should allow people to cancel for Disney’s own corporate gain so they can re-sell the tickets. Alas that thinking is waaaay beyond their IT Dept, as you saw they can’t even figure out how phone numbers work.

2. Grey area. CMs are telling people both special events only and normal tickets too. The black and white policy is you bought a non-refundable ticket and are owed $0. Therefore any value you can extract is a win. If you want max value try to use it on tickets and if it doesn’t work pick another Xmas party down the line- or wait a couple years for Disney inflation to catch up to you for the other events.

Trust me, Disney IS re-selling the ticket. I'm sure they track what tickets are 'cancelled' and credited back, tossing that admission back in the 'for sale' bucket. They are not losing out on anything...in fact gaining cash flow because they already have the $$ for the cancelled ticket guest A surrendered in the bank and can use that cash for other things.

Maybe it depends on the reason, but I was supposed to attend the MNSSHP back in 2016 and couldn't go because I ended up having surgery. They gave me a refund. But that was ages ago and I had a medical reason. We rescheduled our trip to February from October, but there aren't parties in February so they gave me a refund.
If you have a good reason they may refund you. Disney is pretty good about this in my experience. I had a sick child for a MNSSHP date and they refunded when I explained the situation and asked politely.

Trust me, Disney IS re-selling the ticket. I'm sure they track what tickets are 'cancelled' and credited back, tossing that admission back in the 'for sale' bucket. They are not losing out on anything...in fact gaining cash flow because they already have the $$ for the cancelled ticket guest A surrendered in the bank and can use that cash for other things.
You aren’t even making sense. You can’t cancel these tickets is my whole point! Unless the rep gets extra permission to actually cancel and refund your ticket- a rarity nowadays. The ticket is there in your account available for your use even when you call and say you can’t use it. Disney doesn’t have some secret system where reps at their discretion note you might not attend X event.

You aren’t even making sense. You can’t cancel these tickets is my whole point! Unless the rep gets extra permission to actually cancel and refund your ticket- a rarity nowadays. The ticket is there in your account available for your use even when you call and say you can’t use it. Disney doesn’t have some secret system where reps at their discretion note you might not attend X event.
Disney has made extra tickets available close to day of with hurricanes/tropical storms in the area when they knew some people probably would not make it to the party.

Please keep thread on topic. How does a guest handle the scenario when they know they cannot attend a party that they have purchased a ticket?

Just wanted to come back and update:

- I was not able to cancel and get a refund
- I was told there is no way to cancel and that I am just to skip the event and a credit will show on my account.
- I was able to use one ticket to order 2 tickets to an AH event, since the AH event was $70 cheaper per ticket, I just had to pay the difference.

My only concern is when I log into the Disney website, two of my MVMCP tickets are gone and not just the one. When I look on the app, it is just the one ticket that is missing. So hopefully it all works out when I try and use the other 3 credits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter