Hoping this is the year for Yosemite

KCmike

Never have fallen asleep on any
Barring a complete economy meltdown I am hoping to take my family to either Yosemite National Park or Washington DC. We had dreamed of going to Yosemite last year and staying at Tenaya lodge but now I will need to find a cheaper hotel. So my first question is where is the nicest/cheapest hotel I can find? It doesn't have to be inside the park.

There's a place near Wawona (inside the park) called the Redwoods in Yosemite where you can rent a house - they have quite a variety of sizes available. http://redwoodsinyosemite.com/

It would be about 15 minutes closer to the Valley than the Tenaya Lodge area.

Yosemite West that is even closer, but I have no idea what the lodging is like there. http://yosemitelodging.com/

There's also a number of moderately priced hotels in El Portal, which is 30 minutes or so out of the Valley. Cedar Lodge is one that my brother has stayed at and likes. http://www.yosemite-motels.com/cedarlodge/index.htm

Hope that helps!

We stayed in one of the Deluxe Studio Loft rooms at Yosemite West last May for a wedding. It was quite nice. And the service from the rental place was very good. We packed 3 adults and 2 kids in the room as we were travelling el cheapo. see yosemitelodging.com (mentioned above)

There are a number of vacation homes available inside the park and I'd definitely recommend you try for one of them. It is a significant drive into the park if you stay outside, and you'll spend a lot of your savings in fuel and the rest in time.

Have you thought about Camp Curry? That is very reasonably priced - though quite, um, rustic.

There's another place that rents homes in Forestal - which is even closer to the valley - my cousins rented a home there and had a good experience. I'm afraid I don't remember the website, and didn't bookmark it. :headache:

I'd suggest letting your fingers do the walking through Google. :)

I've stayed at Redwoods in Yosemite and Yosemite West, and preferred Redwoods in Yosemite. Although a bit more of a drive to the valley, the land is more level at Redwoods in Yosemite, and there is a little general store, plus trails, riding stable, Wawona Hotel for dinner there, etc. I felt more isolated in Yosemite West because the roads were steep, and there was nowhere really where we could walk.

There's nothing like waking up in the morning and looking up at the beautiful cliffs inside the park.... We stay at housekeeping for a week every year inside of the park. My SIL calls it city camping as it has three walls with a canvas front with a double bed and bunk beds in each unit with electricity and a porch in front with table with chairs with more outlets for cooking and a fire pit in front for campfires. They also have canvas tents at Curry Village that are inexpensive. Yes you do have to a restroom/shower area. The hotels with bathroom book at a year and a day in advance....

I like Curry Village. By all means its not luxurious but I love being inside the park. Its great to wake up and ride our bikes down to the village or take the shuttle around and not worry about parking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter