• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoping Disney won't do in the direction with their new island that RC uses

Most of two bedroom suites on cruise ships are set up the same way. Even the Cat. S on the Magic and the Wonder. The second bedroom is basically an inside cabin.

Really? I hate that! It just seems so poorly planned! Yuck!
I will add that even for the Royal suites on the Wonder and Magic it is the same. The second bedroom does not have a window. But the kids sleep in there so I’m happier that their room doesn’t have a direct to balcony door. The three room wide balcony and windows are available to the dining room, living room, and then the small library area off the master bedroom. I love those suites.....

It doesn't look like they will based on the images on the site for it. We did our first RC cruise on the Allure last year...literally everything costs extra on their ships so not surprised they charge a pretty decent amount of money to use the amenities on their island as well
Could you elaborate. I keep reading this and it's not our experience.

As for the food, its very subjective. We didn't mind the dining rooms on RCCL at all (only been on Oasis class), didn't find it any less quality than DCL (more than 10 cruises). The things I liked about RCCL is while their menu had some changes every night they also had some staples, like I could order escargot every night where as on DCL it's one and done. Also loved that RCCL had a dinner buffet and it is a great dinner buffet. Not something DCL offers but I understand why. I just don't find the food as bad as some are saying. It's actually quite good IMO. It's very subjective.

ETA--as for the topic I would love to see a pool on the island. We are not beach people and seldom get off the ship at CC. Royal having a pool we could use was a game changer. I could do without the water park but I can see the attraction for families. And no, DCL having Pelican Plunge doesn't compare, sorry.

As for the food, its very subjective. We didn't mind the dining rooms on RCCL at all (only been on Oasis class), didn't find it any less quality than DCL (more than 10 cruises). The things I liked about RCCL is while their menu had some changes every night they also had some staples, like I could order escargot every night where as on DCL it's one and done. Also loved that RCCL had a dinner buffet and it is a great dinner buffet. Not something DCL offers but I understand why. I just don't find the food as bad as some are saying. It's actually quite good IMO. It's very subjective.

ETA--as for the topic I would love to see a pool on the island. We are not beach people and seldom get off the ship at CC. Royal having a pool we could use was a game changer. I could do without the water park but I can see the attraction for families. And no, DCL having Pelican Plunge doesn't compare, sorry.

I don't want it to come across like we hated Royal. We enjoyed the cruise and would go back. Because of pricing we never sail 7 days with Disney but switching it up and trying a different line allowed us to do so.

But, for us it was the feeling from the moment we booked. An email weekly saying "buy this drink package, buy this dining, buy this internet" all of which seemed to be different prices every time so it's like a big game they are playing you. Every time we have to call customer service they end the call trying to sell us on the dining and drink packages. Then we you get on the ship the selling continues. I get they are trying to upsell you and make the most $$ per person they can but we just thought it was too much. Just different than we are used to(only said with DCL prior to this cruise). Not to mention the Promenade is one big flea market on sea days with cheap t shirts/watches/hats/bags taking up much of the walking space for sales.

As far as main dining goes, I've only ever read good things so I guess we just had a bad experience but our service was awful. We aren't wine drinkers so we had soda for dinner the three times we went to main dining and not once did we get a refill on our drinks. I'd finish the one soda and drink water the rest of the meal. That would never happen on Disney. The wait staff seemed stretched way too thin and only came around to take orders and deliver food. Now, in the pay restaurants the service was exceptional. Zero complaints there. And as you said the dinner buffet is really good, I'd love to see Cabanas offered as a dinner buffet on DCL.

Like I said though, we'd sail Royal again. Probably not the Oasis class again, but we'd definitely go back. We had a great time and it was a wonderful trip. All the things I've mentioned weren't ideal but they certainly didn't ruin our vacation. I understand they want to upsell you. I worked in sales with NASCAR for a couple years out of college and we did the same thing.

I don't want it to come across like we hated Royal. We enjoyed the cruise and would go back. Because of pricing we never sail 7 days with Disney but switching it up and trying a different line allowed us to do so.

But, for us it was the feeling from the moment we booked. An email weekly saying "buy this drink package, buy this dining, buy this internet" all of which seemed to be different prices every time so it's like a big game they are playing you. Every time we have to call customer service they end the call trying to sell us on the dining and drink packages. Then we you get on the ship the selling continues. I get they are trying to upsell you and make the most $$ per person they can but we just thought it was too much. Just different than we are used to(only said with DCL prior to this cruise). Not to mention the Promenade is one big flea market on sea days with cheap t shirts/watches/hats/bags taking up much of the walking space for sales.

As far as main dining goes, I've only ever read good things so I guess we just had a bad experience but our service was awful. We aren't wine drinkers so we had soda for dinner the three times we went to main dining and not once did we get a refill on our drinks. I'd finish the one soda and drink water the rest of the meal. That would never happen on Disney. The wait staff seemed stretched way too thin and only came around to take orders and deliver food. Now, in the pay restaurants the service was exceptional. Zero complaints there. And as you said the dinner buffet is really good, I'd love to see Cabanas offered as a dinner buffet on DCL.

Like I said though, we'd sail Royal again. Probably not the Oasis class again, but we'd definitely go back. We had a great time and it was a wonderful trip. All the things I've mentioned weren't ideal but they certainly didn't ruin our vacation. I understand they want to upsell you. I worked in sales with NASCAR for a couple years out of college and we did the same thing.

This all makes sense, thanks for your reply. It was the comment that 'literally everything costs extra' that caught my eye. People keep saying they nickel and dime you but I have never seen that. Yes you can purchase dinning in some restaurants but that is the same with DCL, they have pay dining as well. RCCL has a package where you can purchase unlimited dining which is a choice you can make. You can purchase drink packages on RCCL but DCL doesn't even offer drink packages so its hard to say RCCL is nickel and diming anyone. And don't get me started on internet! DCL's cost is outrageous, totally unaffordable, where as on RCCL I can get an unlimited package for $10 a day. Again, not something you have to purchase, its a choice, so very hard to say someone is being nickel and dimed there. They do send a lot of emails but there is a way to go into your account and stop them from sending emails to you if you prefer. Just so you know its an option. The agents on the phone have never bothered me with sales but they do always ask if I am in need of anything else which I seldom am.

I hear you on the flea market feeling but I see tons of people purchasing so I guess some like it. I have made two purchases there but will gladly walk right on by now. Nothing to see here.

So sorry your dining experience left you wanting., I'm sure/hope it was just the team you had. We have had good and bad teams in the dining rooms on RCCL but we have also had good and bad on DCL as well. It is what it is.

Happy sailings to you where ever you choose to sail and with who ever you choose to sail! As long as it's a good vacation, that's all that matters in the end.

It doesn't look like they will based on the images on the site for it. We did our first RC cruise on the Allure last year...literally everything costs extra on their ships so not surprised they charge a pretty decent amount of money to use the amenities on their island as well

Really? Just curious what you paid extra for?

Just saw your reasoning above. When people say nickel and dime, they IMPLY that you MUST pay for more. THAT is incorrect. You do NOT have to buy anything extra. There are so many threads here that actually compare what you pay for on other lines vs. Disney and it's pretty close - almost the same actually. For us, it's not things we'd do/use like soda or certain room service so we've never noticed. As far as the promenade...well Disney has Tiffany's where you can buy a cheap trinket or two. ;-) Happy cruising whatever ship/line you go with!

Last edited:
Watched a You Tube video on the Perfect Day at CoCo Cay, that is RC new island I think. Well I didn't know that you had to pay extra for the water park on it. Yuck! I hope Disney doesn't ever go in that direction with their new island. I know some things like the cabanas and such cost, but the main attraction on that island is the water park, and I just assumed it was included with RC cruise fare.

Absolutely NO need to worry! Disney would never do anything like that. The don't even have any "fun" active activities on their ships. I think some new and interesting itineraries and new shows would be so great...but that might be as adventurous as they get, IF they even do that. Oh...and how about some decent - at least more - pools?!!

And BTW, it's not NECESSARY to go to their water park. You can just sit on the beach and do nothing - same as we do on CC.

Ya, I think it was Pete from Dreams on here. That practice is sorry as hell to do, but that right there is a perfect example of corporate greed.

OMG - that is DISNEY!! Ridiculous cruise prices and now the parks...all pricing out families. I'm sure that's what Walt envisioned. 8-)

We actually had a week long cruise on Symphony of the Seas booked that we cancelled in Jan. We had a two bedroom suite and as we got on with planning it just became SO distasteful how they nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING. And the straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that in a crazy expensive top of the line two bedroom suite, one of the rooms does n't even have a WINDOW! It literally is an inside room in this suite! yeah, no. We cancelled and booked our trip to WDW for the same week instead complete with AP's for LESS. (staying at the poly!). Of course now well...not sure that will happen but in any case I went from SUPER excited to take the cruise to just disgusted by the whole thing.

What were they nickle and diming you on? We did our first concierge on Disney recently and honestly some of the perks for RCI suites seem really nice like your own genie and having a special area of seats for the shows. Love that other lines have their own dining rooms and pool areas too! Certain things about concierge were nice but...not THAT nice!

Totally agree. The whole nickel and dime thing is ridiculous. Just one of those things Disney cruisers always say to justify the price. LOVE Oasis class - they're our favorite ships. And I LOVE having a dinner buffet. We just don't enjoy the whole dinner ordeal on Disney.

Great idea for a pool on the islands! A huge pool would be so fun.

The things I liked about RCCL is while their menu had some changes every night they also had some staples, like I could order escargot every night where as on DCL it's one and done.

We were on RCCL Adventure of the Seas over NYE this year. My BIL did just that - 2 orders of escargot every evening!

Honestly, the only thing we paid for upcharge on Adventure was the beverage package for DH and I (not the alcohol one, but the one that includes coffee, sparkling water, and virgin drinks) and we did the wine tasting. Everything else that we did on the ship was included in the price. We ate in the main dining room every evening and very much enjoyed it. In fact, in our group of 16 - the 8 kids said the dining was their favorite part. My 12 year old can't understand why every restaurant around here doesn't serve swordfish!

Disney would never do anything like that. The don't even have any "fun" active activities on their ships...You can just sit on the beach and do nothing - same as we do on CC.
You say "we". Why do you sail DCL if you don't enjoy it?

DCL has lots of fun things to do onboard. Waterslides/watercoasters, movies at the pool, scavenger hunts, interactive games & audience participation game shows, deck parties, baby races, miniature golf, virtual sports, high quality shows, chances to meet the characters, a traditional promenade with a stunning view of the ocean, where you can walk laps or play shuffleboard etc. etc. Most DCL cruisers don't want Disney's beautiful oceanliner-style ships to feel like the typical floating shopping mall with mini entertainment center attached on top (er, I mean, a "fun" ship).

I don't think anyone wants Castaway Cay to feel like a water park. It's extremely beloved exactly the way it is: beautiful and peaceful. In addition, the water slides are fun, as is the climbing area over the water, the aqua trikes and jet skis you can rent, or the wonderful bike rides you can take through the island. There are organized games and dances as well, and you can meet the characters in their swimming gear. That's fun.

Just saw your reasoning above. When people say nickel and dime, they IMPLY that you MUST pay for more. THAT is incorrect. You do NOT have to buy anything extra. There are so many threads here that actually compare what you pay for on other lines vs. Disney and it's pretty close - almost the same actually. For us, it's not things we'd do/use like soda or certain room service so we've never noticed. As far as the promenade...well Disney has Tiffany's where you can buy a cheap trinket or two. ;-) Happy cruising whatever ship/line you go with!

It's about them pushing extra costs on you non stop, whether you choose to purchase or not. Disney does not do that, but yes they do charge an arm a leg to get on the ship. Sure you can cruise Royal and pay nothing extra but we felt like we had to pay extra for food to get the same service/quality that we get included on the Disney ships

And there is a difference between having the store on the ship and then filling the walk ways in the main indoor area with cheap trinkets and announcing loudly over and over to come purchase them. "you've only got 10 minutes left to come get your 2 for $20 shirts"

DCL has lots of fun things to do onboard. Waterslides/watercoasters, movies at the pool, scavenger hunts, interactive games & audience participation game shows, deck parties, baby races, miniature golf, virtual sports, high quality shows, chances to meet the characters, a traditional promenade with a stunning view of the ocean, where you can walk laps or play shuffleboard etc. etc. Most DCL cruisers don't want Disney's beautiful oceanliner-style ships to feel like the typical floating shopping mall with mini entertainment center attached on top (er, I mean, a "fun" ship).

I don't think anyone wants Castaway Cay to feel like a water park. It's extremely beloved exactly the way it is: beautiful and peaceful. In addition, the water slides are fun, as is the climbing area over the water, the aqua trikes and jet skis you can rent, or the wonderful bike rides you can take through the island. There are organized games and dances as well, and you can meet the characters in their swimming gear. That's fun.

well said

I don't think anyone said they don't enjoy DCL, I think what is being said is there are good things to say about RCCL as well. At least that is what I am saying. I like DCL, I like RCCL as well. They are different entities and each have there own things.
It's about them pushing extra costs on you non stop, whether you choose to purchase or not. Disney does not do that, but yes they do charge an arm a leg to get on the ship. Sure you can cruise Royal and pay nothing extra but we felt like we had to pay extra for food to get the same service/quality that we get included on the Disney ships

And there is a difference between having the store on the ship and then filling the walk ways in the main indoor area with cheap trinkets and announcing loudly over and over to come purchase them. "you've only got 10 minutes left to come get your 2 for $20 shirts"

Actually, they do. I can not count the number of times I get asked if I want to purchase a case of water on that first afternoon on the ship. Every waiter I run into, they have stands set up for this, even my room host has asked me. Then there are the trays of drinks they pass around before the sail away party. They are asking non stop if you want to purchase one. I find that one kind of deceiving because its not until you take it that they ask for your room card. First time cruisers may not be aware that there is a fee until they have handed one to each family member.

Now I have only been on Oasis class ships and while I have seen the stands with the cheap trinkets I have never heard an announcement about only 10 minutes left to purchase. Maybe I just have not been there when announced. I know while you and I think they are cheap trinkets people are buying them to take home to family and friends. You couldn't go into DCL shops and even hope to take your family and friends home a key chain without expecting a bill that would make a person cry. So, maybe that's why some like those set ups on the RCCL ships. If they weren't popular they wouldn't have them.

Don't take this all as a hatred of DCL, its only a comparison. It just annoys me when it is said that one line does this and the other doesn't when that is a stretch.

Just saw your reasoning above. When people say nickel and dime, they IMPLY that you MUST pay for more. THAT is incorrect. You do NOT have to buy anything extra.

I don't think that is necessarily true. Nickel and Dime never implies that you MUST pay more. But it does imply that in order to have a non-minimal experience, you MUST pay extra. There are some airlines (Allegiant) that nickel and dime you. You CAN fly for a cheap fare. But if you want a carry on, to pay with a credit card, buy a ticket online, in-flight drinks, checked bags, etc. All of those things are extra. But you CAN fly without paying those fees. Disney gives a very enjoyable experience with the cost of the fare. RCL for us left a lot to be desired and we felt that in order to have a comparable experience to Disney, it was a Nickel and Diming experience.

Edit: changed card card -> credit card. Spelling

I don't think that is necessarily true. Nickel and Dime never implies that you MUST pay more. But it does imply that in order to have a non-minimal experience, you MUST pay extra. There are some airlines (Allegiant) that nickel and dime you. You CAN fly for a cheap fare. But if you want a carry on, to pay with a credit card, buy a ticket online, in-flight drinks, checked bags, etc. All of those things are extra. But you CAN fly without paying those fees. Disney gives a very enjoyable experience with the cost of the fare. RCL for us left a lot to be desired and we felt that in order to have a comparable experience to Disney, it was a Nickel and Diming experience.

Edit: changed card card -> credit card. Spelling
Interesting and correct but I'm wondering what you felt was lacking in your RCL experience that you needed to pay for while DCL included it? Soda, yes. Room service for other than breakfast, yes. What else? I'm not asking to argue, I'm really curious.

Interesting and correct but I'm wondering what you felt was lacking in your RCL experience that you needed to pay for while DCL included it? Soda, yes. Room service for other than breakfast, yes. What else? I'm not asking to argue, I'm really curious.

Decent food. I think the pinnacle of lacking was the waiters talking up the prime rib that would be served on one of the nights of our cruise. We were both excited for it because we love prime rib. After the first bite, we were both sorely disappointed in the quality. I'm fairly confident that I could have gotten better prime rib at literally any other restaurant. I've definitely made better at home. Most of the food felt like something I could get at the local Chuck-A-Rama (local buffet) or Sizzler.

The one specialty restaurant that we went to was excellent.

Also, the on-board casino location was appalling. For some reason they put the entrance to the main dining next to the entrance to the casino. This allowed us to get a full whiff of the casino smoke and smell, causing us to lose our appetite, as we walked into the main dining room. This was extremely unpleasant for us and our 1-year-old.

Decent food. I think the pinnacle of lacking was the waiters talking up the prime rib that would be served on one of the nights of our cruise. We were both excited for it because we love prime rib. After the first bite, we were both sorely disappointed in the quality. I'm fairly confident that I could have gotten better prime rib at literally any other restaurant. I've definitely made better at home. Most of the food felt like something I could get at the local Chuck-A-Rama (local buffet) or Sizzler.

The one specialty restaurant that we went to was excellent.

Also, the on-board casino location was appalling. For some reason they put the entrance to the main dining next to the entrance to the casino. This allowed us to get a full whiff of the casino smoke and smell, causing us to lose our appetite, as we walked into the main dining room. This was extremely unpleasant for us and our 1-year-old.
Thank you for your honest answer. I'm sorry you found the food lacking, was it only that one meal? I have had good and bad items in the dining rooms however that goes for both cruise lines, not just RCCL.

The reason I question these quotes about nickel and diming is because they were the very things that kept us from trying RCCL for so long. If I were to believe every thing I read about this then I felt it would have cost me twice as much for RCCL than for DCL. When I finally got the courage to try I realized the untruth about some of those facts and am very glad I gave it a go. I hate that others read this stuff and are also afraid to spread their wings and give it a try purely on these comments. On the other hand, I'm glad some people decide they don't want to jump ship so to speak because that is what keeps my costs so low.

To reiterate, I have never felt any more nickel and dimed on RCCL than I have on DCL. They both have specialty restaurants you need to pay for. They both have candy/ice cream shops you have to pay for. The both make you pay for internet although RCCL's is a bargain in comparison. You pay for your soda on RCCL but since I am saving $2000 (on average) to sail on RCCL that is no issue at all. They both have islands that are very nice with cabanas you have to pay for. They both have shops where you can purchase items. Not a lot of difference, people should not be afraid to give it a go. It's not for everyone but you don't know till you try. If someone is going to post about nickel and diming they need to back it up IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter