• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoping Disney won't do in the direction with their new island that RC uses

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Watched a You Tube video on the Perfect Day at CoCo Cay, that is RC new island I think. Well I didn't know that you had to pay extra for the water park on it. Yuck! I hope Disney doesn't ever go in that direction with their new island. I know some things like the cabanas and such cost, but the main attraction on that island is the water park, and I just assumed it was included with RC cruise fare.

It doesn't look like they will based on the images on the site for it. We did our first RC cruise on the Allure last year...literally everything costs extra on their ships so not surprised they charge a pretty decent amount of money to use the amenities on their island as well

It doesn't look like they will based on the images on the site for it. We did our first RC cruise on the Allure last year...literally everything costs extra on their ships so not surprised they charge a pretty decent amount of money to use the amenities on their island as well
Really? Wow. Never cruised beside Disney so I really haven't much of a clue.

Really? Wow. Never cruised beside Disney so I really haven't much of a clue.

Don't get me wrong, we had a great time on the Allure but for us it just wasn't the same. We ended up eating at some of the pay restaurants because we didn't think the main dining room was close to the quality we are used to on Disney. Service or food. We actually came away thinking it was set up in such a way to try to get you to go to the various pay restaurants. We booked the cruise because it was $1500 or so cheaper than the same itinerary on DCL and it was definitely worth trying but if we can afford Disney prices we will keep sailing Disney.

That new Coco Cay island is wildly popular among the Caribbeans cruisers. RCL is actually planning a second one in the South Pacific.

You can enjoy everything that's included on Castaway Cay at Coco Cay for free too. The extras are the water park, balloon ride, zip line, etc.:
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=4329

I don’t doubt that at all. But Royals fares are significantly cheaper than Disney so they can get away with that stuff. I’d be disappointed if Disney added more upcharges when they are already charging around double what other lines charge for the same cruise

Don't get me wrong, we had a great time on the Allure but for us it just wasn't the same. We ended up eating at some of the pay restaurants because we didn't think the main dining room was close to the quality we are used to on Disney. Service or food. We actually came away thinking it was set up in such a way to try to get you to go to the various pay restaurants. We booked the cruise because it was $1500 or so cheaper than the same itinerary on DCL and it was definitely worth trying but if we can afford Disney prices we will keep sailing Disney.
Come to think of it, I did see a podcast where it was talked about that the fact that the other cruise lines do just that. Something about them dumbing down the food in the places that was included in the cruise fare so that you will pay to eat at the nicer venues on the ships.

Come to think of it, I did see a podcast where it was talked about that the fact that the other cruise lines do just that. Something about them dumbing down the food in the places that was included in the cruise fare so that you will pay to eat at the nicer venues on the ships.
I wouldn’t be a bit surprised. We have a great time at the pay places. Fantastic food and service. But the main dining room experience left a lot to be desired

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised. We have a great time at the pay places. Fantastic food and service. But the main dining room experience left a lot to be desired
Ya, I think it was Pete from Dreams on here. That practice is sorry as hell to do, but that right there is a perfect example of corporate greed.

Outside of DCL, if you want to not feel like you have to use alternative restaurants, you would probably be better off with Princess or Celebrity, although, to be quite honest, the included food on Carnival is really good as well...

Ya, I think it was Pete from Dreams on here. That practice is sorry as hell to do, but that right there is a perfect example of corporate greed.
If you opt to take a cruise with much lower cruise fares than on a DCL cruise, I would not be surprised at all that there are surcharges. They have to make up their lost revenue some way. They charge a lower fare to get you on the boat. Then make you pay for extras.

Well, it's still cheaper with the add ons.

I feel mixed about the notion of a CoCoCay clone. I like the "natural" aspects of Castaway, but maybe having something more like a water park with more amenities would be a nice alternative. Coco seems over the top though.

Gotta wonder what the double dip to both Castaway and the new island is going to cost!

We actually had a week long cruise on Symphony of the Seas booked that we cancelled in Jan. We had a two bedroom suite and as we got on with planning it just became SO distasteful how they nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING. And the straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that in a crazy expensive top of the line two bedroom suite, one of the rooms does n't even have a WINDOW! It literally is an inside room in this suite! yeah, no. We cancelled and booked our trip to WDW for the same week instead complete with AP's for LESS. (staying at the poly!). Of course now well...not sure that will happen but in any case I went from SUPER excited to take the cruise to just disgusted by the whole thing.

Well, it's still cheaper with the add ons.

I feel mixed about the notion of a CoCoCay clone. I like the "natural" aspects of Castaway, but maybe having something more like a water park with more amenities would be a nice alternative. Coco seems over the top though.

Gotta wonder what the double dip to both Castaway and the new island is going to cost!

yes it was definitely still cheaper. But after the add ons we left thinking, maybe we should have just paid a little extra and done DCL again. But now that we know I would say we’d try Royal again or sail with NCL/Carnival if we want to sail peak season or try an itinerary Disney doesn’t offer. We tend to do our Disney cruises in the early spring because it’s a tad cheaper

We actually had a week long cruise on Symphony of the Seas booked that we cancelled in Jan. We had a two bedroom suite and as we got on with planning it just became SO distasteful how they nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING. And the straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that in a crazy expensive top of the line two bedroom suite, one of the rooms does n't even have a WINDOW! It literally is an inside room in this suite! yeah, no. We cancelled and booked our trip to WDW for the same week instead complete with AP's for LESS. (staying at the poly!). Of course now well...not sure that will happen but in any case I went from SUPER excited to take the cruise to just disgusted by the whole thing.

Most of two bedroom suites on cruise ships are set up the same way. Even the Cat. S on the Magic and the Wonder. The second bedroom is basically an inside cabin.

Most of two bedroom suites on cruise ships are set up the same way. Even the Cat. S on the Magic and the Wonder. The second bedroom is basically an inside cabin.
Really? I hate that! It just seems so poorly planned! Yuck!

Really? I hate that! It just seems so poorly planned! Yuck!

Only so much space to work with on a cruise ship. We've sailed in 2 bedroom suites on Disney and NCL. We're a family of 5. Our girls only used the room to sleep. The most used spaces in the suites were the balcony and the living/dining room. It's a great option when you have younger kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter