• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoop-Dee-Doo Transportation ?

MickeyFan!

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

Our family is going to WDW this November. I have 3 boys, age 9, 8 and 5 at the time of travel. I've read all of the good reviews about HDDR, and am considering making reservations.

However, I'm seeing a lot of horrendous reviews about the travel times to and from. We are staying at Art of Animation. As I see it, we have a few options:

1. Go the day we fly in. Not real keen on this though, as our flight could be delayed, we will prob just want to explore the hotel and pool, etc.

2. Leave a park for a dinner reservation. But this is where I get hung up - what are the travel times from the various parks? And then after the show? My kids are little so I'm not cool with lots of subsequent late nights. A few here or there (we are there for 8 nights), but I want to choose the best attractions/shows/dinner performances for the 4ish late nights I'm okay with.

Is it worth it? We are also splurging for the MVMCP, so part of me thinks that I should just consider that as our splurge. But on the other hand, I don't see us going back for a few (5+ years), so I consider this our "do it all" trip. HDDR - worth it? Transportation nightmare? (We are staying at Art of Animation)

Thanks!

It really depends on your patients if the length of travel time is too much. Below are all the transportation options I could think of for getting to HDDR.
  • Ferry from MK to FW: The marina at FW opens up to the Settlement area where HDDR is located. The actual ferry travel time from boarding to getting off the ferry is about 15-20 minutes. You would need to add travel time to get to MK and wait time. If you are already at MK, I would leave for FW about 1 hour before the show starts.
  • Bus/Car Service to FW: Any bus from EP, DHS, or AK, or any car service, will let out passengers at the Outpost (entrance) for FW and then those individuals will need to take an internal bus to the Settlement. There are three internal routes and all three go from the Outpost to the Settlement just on different routes. They all take about the same amount of time, but I would still plan to arrive at FW 40 minutes before the show starts just in case.
  • From WL: There are three main ways to get between WL and FW. 1. Boat (circles Bay Lake and hits, WL, FW, and CR); 2. Walk the paved path between the two resorts during daylight hours (no lights); 3. Bus that does travel between the two resorts.
  • From CR: Boat that circles Bay Lake (CR, FW, WL)
  • Minnie Van - Only works if you have the Minnie Van option based on your resort. This drops and picks up near the Settlement bus stop.
I thoroughly enjoyed HDDR and think your kids are a great age for the show. If you decide to do HDDR, I would suggest one of the first two shows of the day and use MK or CR as your transfer to FW.

Unless you can use the Minnie Vans that will take you straight there ... plan on 1.5 - 2 hours to get there from a resort, it took us 2 hours going from POP, bus to MK, boat to WL. We did the latest show so a bus at the show would take us straight to POP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter