Hoop Dee Doo leftovers

Melwood23

I need another WDW trip!!
Was wondering if you can take any of the leftovers you have left after the dinner. Since I travel solo, last Sept when I went to HDD for the first time, I was not prepared for the excessive amount of food, and I really hated to see them take it away, not knowing if they throw it away or what. So next year when I go (already booked HDD), I had hoped to maybe take what is left in a take out container. Anyone ever try this?

I am wondering this same thing! Hubby and i will be going and we know they will serve way more food than we can eat at one sitting. Takingbit back tonour resort to snack later would be great!

Was wondering if you can take any of the leftovers you have left after the dinner. Since I travel solo, last Sept when I went to HDD for the first time, I was not prepared for the excessive amount of food, and I really hated to see them take it away, not knowing if they throw it away or what. So next year when I go (already booked HDD), I had hoped to maybe take what is left in a take out container. Anyone ever try this?

I am wondering this same thing! Hubby and i will be going and we know they will serve way more food than we can eat at one sitting. Takingbit back tonour resort to snack later would be great!

The waitstaff is not supposed to provide any type of container for leftovers (except for drinks) since it is an AYCTE meal. It is a waste especially if you haven't ordered extra anything! Bring along your own Ziplocks and bag it yourself! Problem solved. . .

They don't provide doggie bags at buffets or all you care to eat venues because sooner or later someone would ask for seconds or thirds and then take all the extra food with them.

The waitstaff is not supposed to provide any type of container for leftovers (except for drinks) since it is an AYCTE meal. It is a waste especially if you haven't ordered extra anything! Bring along your own Ziplocks and bag it yourself! Problem solved. . .

We had leftover bread pudding at Ohana that my father was NOT about to let go to waste. We also had an empty refillable mug sitting there, so you can guess where the bread pudding went...problem solved :laughing:

That was in response to the OP saying "not knowing if they throw it away or what." What else would they do with it?!

Of course they throw it away. Think about it. They are subject to regulatory body inspections like any restaurant is. They would never be allowed (or want, I believe) to take it back and then put it on someone else's table. If you think it is even possible that they would do this, how could you possibly eat at any Disney restaurant.
I really thought you were kidding in your question.

Of course they throw it away. Think about it. They are subject to regulatory body inspections like any restaurant is. They would never be allowed (or want, I believe) to take it back and then put it on someone else's table. If you think it is even possible that they would do this, how could you possibly eat at any Disney restaurant.
I really thought you were kidding in your question.
I don't know if it's as early for you as it is for me, but I don't think my meaning is coming through. :lmao:

It is obvious to me that they throw it away. I was questioning what else the OP thought they could possibly be doing with it by saying they weren't sure "if they throw it away or what."

It would be great if they could recycle it somehow. Perhaps let local farmers have it to feed their pigs or chickens. They could compost vegetable matter.

It would be great if they could recycle it somehow. Perhaps let local farmers have it to feed their pigs or chickens. They could compost vegetable matter.

This often is viewed as risky. We live in such a sue happy society. My DH used to work for Sam's Club. They would donate day old bread and meat products nearing the "sell by" date to a local food pantry. Until Wal-Mart was sued. Someone claimed they were sickened by "bad food". And they sued for a lot of money in damages.
After that everything - perfectly good food - was thrown out.
Even sending it "to farmers" would be a risk. You would have to prove it went for animal food or compost or whatever. More of a burden for the business donating.
Sad state of affairs.

This often is viewed as risky. We live in such a sue happy society. My DH used to work for Sam's Club. They would donate day old bread and meat products nearing the "sell by" date to a local food pantry. Until Wal-Mart was sued. Someone claimed they were sickened by "bad food". And they sued for a lot of money in damages.
After that everything - perfectly good food - was thrown out.
Even sending it "to farmers" would be a risk. You would have to prove it went for animal food or compost or whatever. More of a burden for the business donating.
Sad state of affairs.

It could still be done. Contracts might have to be drawn up, legalities ironed out, but it could be made to happen easily enough.

It could still be done. Contracts might have to be drawn up, legalities ironed out, but it could be made to happen easily enough.

It certainly could, but I doubt it will. What I witnessed with Wal-Mart - Sam's was that even though they recognized the good it did to donate, the work involved to monitor it and the risk was not worth it to them to allow.
Sad

No they are not supposed to just like with any other buffet style meal. You would have people asking for seconds and thirds and taking it with them. But I do understand about the waste, its shame to see all the food wasted..

Totally agree or even donate to a homeless shelter - which I know would violate many many health codes -- which leads to, at least in NYC, quite a few people dumpster diving at the close of business.

How do you think the Trail's End buffet gets replenished? :rotfl2:
I shouldn't read the DIS at work... but i sometimes do... and glad I have my own office. You almost made me snort chobani out my nose

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter