Hoop Dee Doo closing???

That would certainly be a shame, we all know that something closes "to be relocated" many times they never reopen or if they do they don't have the character they once had an soon die. If Disney is committed to keeping the show should have the new venue ready prior to closing the existing one so the change is seamless.

Instead of Disney expanding, Disney likes to replace right now. The blessing of size Walt talked about with this land seems to be forgotten as of late.
Maybe it's just late, and I had a HECK of a day today... examples of replacing great things aren't coming to mind.

IF they replace a less productive asset (that they probably should eliminate) with a more productive one rather than eating up free space, it's good business. Without examples in my head of things like this that they've actually done, I'm not sure if this applies or not.

BTW: NOT suggesting they get rid of the camping (i.e. NOT that it's an example of a less productive asset). I think it's a unique offering and should stay. Serves a segment that may not be well served otherwise. I like it from multiple perspectives and would be surprised if they replace it.

Another time, people were angry over the paid Express Transportation that was tested. Some predicted that the only way to easily park hop in the future would be by paying extra.

They really need to bring back Express Transportation, that was easily one of the best ideas Disney has ever had, they were glorious.

Last edited:

Maybe it's just late, and I had a HECK of a day today... examples of replacing great things aren't coming to mind.

IF they replace a less productive asset (that they probably should eliminate) with a more productive one rather than eating up free space, it's good business. Without examples in my head of things like this that they've actually done, I'm not sure if this applies or not.

Great Movie Ride. Backlot Tour. Mr. Toad's. Maelstrom. Imagination. Snow White's Scary Adventure. All great things that were replaced instead of something new added. Probably could come up with some restaurants as well.

Its subjective. Many people were upset when they replaced Great Movie Ride for example The Mickey Ride could have replaced Animation Courtyard or something instead or been a completely new add.

In terms of hotels, people love Fort and its a direct link to Disney in 1971. Why not build a new DVC resort on land not already occupied? Look at Riviera, they are building that on a portion of Caribbean Beach that they removed to make room for it.

Great Movie Ride. Backlot Tour. Mr. Toad's. Maelstrom. Imagination. Snow White's Scary Adventure. All great things that were replaced instead of something new added. Probably could come up with some restaurants as well.
Mr. Toad's might be the best example. People were incredibly vocal about that change and people still are somewhat upset they got rid of it.

I see great reasons for replacing many of these. Chiefly, their distinct lack of waits, i.e. interest.

We might miss some and not others, but that's the business case IMO.

Its subjective. Many people were upset when they replaced Great Movie Ride for example The Mickey Ride could have replaced Animation Courtyard or something instead or been a completely new add.

In terms of hotels, people love Fort and its a direct link to Disney in 1971. Why not build a new DVC resort on land not already occupied? Look at Riviera, they are building that on a portion of Caribbean Beach that they removed to make room for it.
See the rest of my post re: Fort. And I agree -- subjective. What's objective was the lack of waits for the things they eliminated.

BTW: NOT suggesting they get rid of the camping (i.e. NOT that it's an example of a less productive asset). I think it's a unique offering and should stay. Serves a segment that may not be well served otherwise. I like it from multiple perspectives and would be surprised if they replace it.

I could easily see an argument that the campground is very much an example of a less productive asset. They run hotels at 90% capacity most of the time. They've been knocking down other resorts to build up towers to increase room availability. What's stopping them from taking over what's basically a big parking lot. A few towers in place of the campground could very much be more profitable, especially as something like a true high end resort since they really don't have one.

I could easily see an argument that the campground is very much an example of a less productive asset. They run hotels at 90% capacity most of the time. They've been knocking down other resorts to build up towers to increase room availability. What's stopping them from taking over what's basically a big parking lot. A few towers in place of the campground could very much be more profitable, especially as something like a true high end resort since they really don't have one.
More profitable wrt hotel space but perhaps they lose a segment from parks which eats into other SBU business, plus the general good PR of Disney being available at many price points. It's more complex IMO.

Before getting angry, remember that not every rumor is true. I remember people getting upset over the cabana test at Magic Kingdom. Some people predicted luxury cabana popping up at every theme park.

Another time, people were angry over the paid Express Transportation that was tested. Some predicted that the only way to easily park hop in the future would be by paying extra.

Rumors are just rumors. Personally, I don't get upset until something actually gets announced.
Well had any of those been a financial success they would be a major thing. If those paid morning and evening events didn't make money they would have vanished like the cabanas.

See the rest of my post re: Fort. And I agree -- subjective. What's objective was the lack of waits for the things they eliminated.
Not everything eliminated was a walk on though. Maelstrom had decent waits often. I can't speak for Mr. Toads as I wasn't around for that really. One thing I think people often don't take into account is ride capacity. Great Movie Ride, Backlot, LMA and Energy were huge people eaters. Are their replacements the same? We don't know about Star Wars yet of course. Mickey and Guardians very likely won't be the same or higher capacity than their predecessors.

This would be absolutely horrible :guilty:
I love this show! We are going to WDW next June, and I could get the five adults to agree on going to Tusker House and Hoop Dee Doo. This is just not a cool rumor. This is a bastion of WDW, opening in 1974 and really not changing, yet still drawing crowds. Now, if they plan to refurb the building before the WDW 50th, I might be able to live with that. But if I had to guess, they probably want it as entertainment for the new River Country resort. That may be okay, but Pioneer Hall is almost as iconic as HDDR.

Although, they could redo Reunion Station at WL and maybe give that prime spot a good use :rotfl2:

I hope not. Dang, now I just have to make reservations for my trip for this for one night now.

How crowded something is doesn't tell the whole story. Some things add to theming and atmosphere and I fail to see how endless office towers do any of that. Some things also set Disney apart but it feels like more and more of Disney is being overshadowed by IP's created by others and places designed to stuff more and more people into the resort. It's not good imo.

I've said this before on the camping boards. I don't think they ever build another campground, despite massive demand, because there is no way a campground generates similar revenue per guest as the resorts, but I don't think they get rid of The Fort since it is basically a sunk infrastructure cost and is always jammed, regardless of being one of the most expensive campgrounds in the U.S.

That being said, there are such simple ways they could increase revenue from the campground it always blows my mind they don't. For one thing, limit the length of stays. When people come and stay for a month, you get low revenue annual pass folks, or people who stay in the campground more than go to the resorts. If they limited it to 10 days per month, 30 days in a year, revenue per guest would go up as you got more park goers and fewer long time stays. Cut it down to 5 people per site, and charge $20 per person over 5 per night extra. That would also help with the phantom booking problem. Tie stays to tickets. If you don't have a park ticket for every 2 or 3 days you stay at The Fort, you can't stay for more than 3 days. Tie holiday weekends and special events to tickets. You want to stay at Halloween? You need to have a park ticket for every day you stay.

If they did simple things like this, that campground would generate significantly more revenue. It would still lag, since campers tend to bring their own food, but it would be worth so much more money. And if it makes more money, they are less likely to do something stupid like bulldoze it.
These are good ideas. Just make the campgrounds packages only. But they are obsessed with making more DVC properties instead. I feel like some suits around a boardroom were persuaded by some glossy brochures promising massive returns and huge bonuses and they do not care if they change the nature of Disney. Hey, if Disney becomes just another amusement park it won't matter to them - they will have taken their bonuses and left already.

Adventurer's Club. They could have left it as part of Disney Springs and instituted a door charge. They would be minting money on that place now. HUGE mistake.

Well had any of those been a financial success they would be a major thing. If those paid morning and evening events didn't make money they would have vanished like the cabanas.

While true, that doesn't change my point. Why get angry at something until you know it actually is happening? And as rteetz notes, even some things that are announced as happening might not actually happen.

That's just my point-of-view. If people want to upset over rumors, that's cool.

They really need to bring back Express Transportation, that was easily one of the best ideas Disney has ever had, they were glorious.
And some, like myself, had a different experience. We paid for multiple days for four people up front, and EVERY time we tried to use it, lightning "in the area" had the service shut down because CMs couldn't take us backstage. Lightning in the area is practically a daily occurrence in FL in the summer!! Poorly designed/conceived from the get-go, and I guessed at the time that it would be discontinued. I can only imagine how many had similar experiences and complained.

I like that Disney experiments, and that when they come up with a loser, they reverse out of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter