Hoop Dee Doo Category 1 vs 2

ajgardner

DIS Veteran
I have two different nights reserved - one is category 1 and one is category 2. I’m trying g to decide which one to keep. Our preference is category 2 balcony but there’s no way to request this (that I know of). How big a difference Is the seating between the two categories on the main floor? I’m not concerned about the cost, I just want to be sure we can see the show well.

It seems to be that they are not seating the balcony currently. The night we were there a couple of weeks ago, only the floor was seated. I had noticed on other reviews/blogs that they noticed the balcony remained empty as well. Not sure how long that will keep up, but something to keep in mind.

FYI, we were cat. 2., a party of 3. We had seats to the L facing the stage. There was a pole, but all 3 of our seats were situated around it and we could see just fine. If the pole would really bother you, go with Cat. 1.

DH and I were Cat. 1 last week, 2nd row from the stage. We noticed that there were two tables up in the balcony, next to each other, and the rest of the balcony was empty. So obviously they are using the balcony when they have enough reservations, but maybe it's just overflow for now.

DH and I sat in Cat. 2 pre-Covid. We were in the last row, under the balcony and sort of in the corner, but we could see just fine. Pioneer Hall isn't that large to start with.

It seems to be that they are not seating the balcony currently. The night we were there a couple of weeks ago, only the floor was seated. I had noticed on other reviews/blogs that they noticed the balcony remained empty as well. Not sure how long that will keep up, but something to keep in mind.
The balcony was not being used during the late show when we were there in November 2019.

We went last week and the section of the balcony straight across from the stage was full but no one on either of the sides. So sounds like it may just vary from show to show.

In case anyone was interested, there were a couple of category 3 tables still available for reservations now for between 8/10-8/16. I'm assuming they have opened up all the balcony seats since they're selling category 3 tickets now.

In case anyone was interested, there were a couple of category 3 tables still available for reservations now for between 8/10-8/16. I'm assuming they have opened up all the balcony seats since they're selling category 3 tickets now.
Yep. Disney bloggers reported today that Category 3 seating is once again bookable.

Maybe next they’ll open up the other two days !!
The cast deserves at least one day off. As it is, the show runs three times a day, five days a week. Yes, Disney will swap some cast members in and out.

Most Broadway shows are dark on Mondays. Matinees are usually offered twice a week. So, a typical Broadway show runs eight times per week.

Even with two dark days, HDDR performs 15 times per week. I know it is not as elaborate or taxing as a Broadway show, but it still requires a lot of work and dedication.

The cast is more than likely in a union. It is entirely possible that the collective bargaining agreement provides for dark days.

Can anyone post a link to the reservation page? I have a trip in early October and have been watching how quickly this books up each day but now I can’t find the booking page anymore?!

We love category one as close to the stage as possible. Also, in Cat 1 you have a better chance of interacting with the performers (they come on to the floor) and possibly even getting on stage.

The cast deserves at least one day off. As it is, the show runs three times a day, five days a week. Yes, Disney will swap some cast members in and out.

Most Broadway shows are dark on Mondays. Matinees are usually offered twice a week. So, a typical Broadway show runs eight times per week.

Even with two dark days, HDDR performs 15 times per week. I know it is not as elaborate or taxing as a Broadway show, but it still requires a lot of work and dedication.

The cast is more than likely in a union. It is entirely possible that the collective bargaining agreement provides for dark days.

pre-covid it ran 7 days a week (and I have a feeling they want it to go back to 7 days)

pre-covid it ran 7 days a week (and I have a feeling they want it to go back to 7 days)
You’re right, there is more than 1 cast for the show they just haven’t brought them all back/found replacements yet. Disney won’t let a money maker like this one sit even partially idle for long. Pre-Covid it was booked for every show every day.

Question regarding seating. If we are a party of 3 or 4, will we be seated with others at a large table? Or do they have each table dedicated to one party? Thanks!

Question regarding seating. If we are a party of 3 or 4, will we be seated with others at a large table? Or do they have each table dedicated to one party? Thanks!

I have only ever seen one party per table on the floor seating. We usually have been right up to the stage so I have not seen all the tables. I was actually wondering how they do it up on the balcony as that is where we got seats for next weekend.

I have only ever seen one party per table on the floor seating. We usually have been right up to the stage so I have not seen all the tables. I was actually wondering how they do it up on the balcony as that is where we got seats for next weekend.
On the balcony you're seated in a row, kind of like a bar situation. So it's possible you might have another party on either side of yours.

On the balcony you're seated in a row, kind of like a bar situation. So it's possible you might have another party on either side of yours.
At HDD 8:30 show 7/13, there were only 2 tables in the balcony. They were next to each other, possibly a single family group. The tables were placed at right angles to the balcony, so everyone could see by turning sideways.
Each party had their own table. We were a party of two, seated at our own four-top.

At HDD 8:30 show 7/13, there were only 2 tables in the balcony. They were next to each other, possibly a single family group. The tables were placed at right angles to the balcony, so everyone could see by turning sideways.
Thanks for clarifying. I think I'm thinking of the Category 3 tables which are along the sides of the balcony, rather than the tables in the balcony area that faces the stage and I think is Category 2.

Thanks for clarifying. I think I'm thinking of the Category 3 tables which are along the sides of the balcony, rather than the tables in the balcony area that faces the stage and I think is Category 2.

Yeah in photos I have seen cat 2 tables at the back where families sit perpendicular to stage. It has always looked like cat 3 sat in a row along the side. I think everyone sits with back to stage and can rotate their seat to face the stage. Just not sure how snug we will be with other parties

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter