Hoop-Dee-Doo A Must-Do?

Should we do Hoop-Dee-Doo?

• Yes

Votes: 46 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
We have eaten there 3 times out of our 5 visits. We went there the 1st time in 2006 when my daughter was 5. She still loves it and talks about how during our 1st trip one of the actors asked me where I was from. When I replied Missouri he went off on a tangent about how we were from Misery.

It is harder to get to the HDDR than most places, but I’m guessing you could get the boat there from MK? I’d just make sure to allow lots of time to get there, and you should be fine!

Yes you can take the boat! That's actually what we did when we brought our boys. We took the bus to MK, then just went to the boat docks right near the monorail. It drops you a very short walk to the HDDR building. Bonus for those with littles, there's a great little playground on your right as you come up from the dock. We arrived early and let the kids play a bit before checking in for dinner.

My husband and I did HDDR for the first time on our last trip and the DH has requested we go again on our next trip. He loved the fried chicken and I loved the corn bread and corny jokes. It’s just such a fun experience, you get swept up in the fun and frivolity. I think most kids would really love it.

They have buses waiting for you after the show to take you to the MK bus hub where you can jump on your resort bus. It was pretty simple. Although for some reason I’m not sure if they do that for the first show, for sure the last two.

well you've already decided but I'm another one saying "do it." My son loved it too, I have this great picture of him with the most amazing sparkle in his eyes watching it. He is now involved in theater at school. He was about 8 when I took him.

Also you could always take the boat back to MK and bus to BW from MK. That might be a more pleasant journey than internal bus to external bus. I hate buses and would rather take the boat and they are super efficient about loading and moving them out at the end of HDDR.

We went for our 25th wedding anniversary. DH was picked to play Davey's angel. They took photo and got a certificate from cast. Who knew that two years later he would be my guardian angel when I lost him to cancer. Favorite Disney memory!

I am so sorry for your loss. This is a great argument for living for the moment. I'm sure he is smiling down on you for spreading both of your light.

When you guys say it's hard to get to, what if we're in a car? Is it easy to drive straight to? We're staying off site.

Unfortunately, with three kids under 40lb, we need 3 car seats / booster seats so we'd have to splurge on 2 mini vans. I can't talk myself into that cost to save perhaps an hour on the way back. Darn third child!
Maybe after all the AYCTE meals one of them will bust 40 pounds :P.

When you guys say it's hard to get to, what if we're in a car? Is it easy to drive straight to? We're staying off site.

You'd drive to Ft wilderness, park in the lot, then use their internal bus system to get to Pioneer Hall. It's a large resort and the show is on the opposite side from the main parking lot.

Last time we visited WDW we tried the Hoop-de-Doo for the first time. It was by-far our favorite part of the trip. The show was great, food was delicious, and you can't beat the unlimited booze! I HIGHLY recommend it!

If you drive you have to park in the parking lot on the front of the campground and wait for one of the inner loop buses. The time I did that there were a ton of people waiting for the bus and it was taking forever, so we decided to walk but it is about a mile.

Another option would be to park at DS, bus to CR, then take the boat over. But driving to the campground is probably the best way.

I often feel we are the only people in the world who went to HDDR and have no desire to return. I felt like I was stuck in the 70's in the middle of an old episode of Hee Haw. DH even got involved by being one of the guys a gal in the show focused on. DGD is a musician/singer too, but she's never asked to go back either. I ask myself over and over what it is we are missing that everyone else gets. Maybe they just didn't grow up in the middle of Hee Haw country, LOL

I often feel we are the only people in the world who went to HDDR and have no desire to return. I felt like I was stuck in the 70's in the middle of an old episode of Hee Haw. DH even got involved by being one of the guys a gal in the show focused on. DGD is a musician/singer too, but she's never asked to go back either. I ask myself over and over what it is we are missing that everyone else gets. Maybe they just didn't grow up in the middle of Hee Haw country, LOL

LOL I grew up in New Jersey and Massachusetts. Part of what I LOVE about it is the "Hee Haw" feel, but I get that not everyone will see its appeal. The corniness/silliness is one aspect I love about it!

It's funny, when you go through these boards, everything that is someone's absolute favorite experience is one that another person detested. I try to really look at how strong of a consensus it is to make my choices: comments are 60/40 in favor, maybe 75/25. I was telling my husband that I don't know that I've ever seen a thread be so positively in favor of something, other than perhaps FoP.

This has been a great thread!

I too am starting to think about our dining plans for a fall trip. This will be our fourth family trip, and we've done few dining repeats. HDDR is in my list, but not sure the rest of the family will like it.

We tried the restaurant at FW last trip, and it was not for us. My husband hated the goofy antics of the staff, no one really loved the food, and I'm worried HDDR might be similar.....

FYI, we went to H&V last year, and it was not good. I know everyone says that, but we had an amazing breakfast experience our first trip. Last time was dinner and it was busy, dirty, hectic, and the characters hadn't even reached us by the time we wanted to leave. But, I would recommend d=breakfast for your family with the ages of the kids. If you skip it, you can always do Dinsey Junior, and your girls will love singing along :thumbsup2

For us, YES! It is a tradition on our last night and it is so much fun.

Question for those of you in the 'know', Having never been to HDDR or used the DDP, If I were to add this reservation, I don't get charged because were on the DDP, correct? But, what if we decide as we get closer to save the credits and just pay cash for this meal? Is that possible?

Its an amazing show. My family refuses to NOT go to HDDR, no matter who is in the party. My 2.5 year old did surprisingly well with the show, so I'd imagine a 5 year old who has an interest will absolutely eat it up.

One recommendation on seating -- Upstairs or in front, it was hard for me to see (at 6ft tall) from the back where we sat last time. I personally would sacrifice choice of time in order to get seated as close to the stage as possible. If you cannot get up front, upstairs at least would provide an easy view for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter