Hoop de Doo or Mickey's Backyard BBQ?

jennk1425

Mouseketeer
Which dinner should we try? The food is basically the same, right? Which one would be better for a 3 yr old boy. Is it just sweltering hot at the BBQ outdoors in May?

Do you know what kind of drinks are included? Are both places on the DDP?

Thanks all!!

HDD is lots of fun. The jokes are corny, but there is high energy from the cast and they interact well with the crowd. The food is not bad...not wonderful, but not awful. And you won't be sweltering no matter the temp...we find the room to be pretty chilly! ;)

We've never been to the BBQ, so I can't offer any advice there.

From what I have heard about the BBQ, if your child is the kind of child who will love getting up along with other kids and dancing with characters it might be what you are looking for. If you are looking for something that might be entertaining for the adults as well, it does not sound like that kind of show. If that is what you want, do Hoop de Doo. That show is fun for both adults and kids, although the really little ones are going to be more interested in getting to play a washboard than anything else.

Both are on the DDP. They are considered dinner shows and cost 2 TS credits per person.

I have never been to the BBQ but it sounds like every other character breakfast, where the furry character make the rounds in order. The HDDR is a dinner show with entertainment. True the furry characters don't make official rounds for photo ops, but on the flip side you are actually entertained vs. looking at your bad fried chicken waiting for "farmer Mickey" to stop by for a photo. If this is your only opportunity to have furry Fab 5 character photos pictures, then Mickey's BBQ may be the right option, but if you have other TS option/character meetings planned then I would spend time at the HDDR.

To summarize, if pics with the characters is your priority then BBQ is your choice, if an evening of family fun entertainment (without furry characters) is your choice then choose HDDR.

I love HDDR beyond reason, but I don't have little ones, so I won't opine. But you asked about drinks. Both have unlimited sodas, wine, sangria, and Bud Light. That's almost like having beer!;) The food is similar, but the barbq has hot dogs. And instead of strawberry shortcake for dessert, they have unlimited Mickey bars. As I hate strawberries, that would be a plus for me. Hmm, wonder if I could get the 3 yo away from my niece for a trip.

We are doing the HDDR this year for the first time, we have done the BBQ for the past 3 years, the kids, now 8 & 12, both love it, the characters don't just come around to make pics or sign autographs, but they get out on the dance floor and dance with the kids and the party lasts for 2-2&1/2 hours. Full energy and lots of fun, the food is good. We have been in June & July and not been too terribly hot under the pavilion. Either way I'm sure you will have a good time.

We have done both and would definitly recommend the HDDR! We were very disappointed in the BBQ! Heat, bugs, kids swarming around the characters so they hardly made it to our table, it was a real free-for-all!
Do yourself a favor...do the HDDR! :thumbsup2 BTW, the food is better there too. It is served to you at your table, not dumped under heat lamps for the evening!!!

Doug

We are going in August and chose HDDR mainly because it is indoors - air conditioning and no chance it will be cancelled due to the weather.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter