Honeymoon Planning - Help!

abidale

DIS Veteran
Hi, all! My fiance and I are beginning to plan our honeymoon. We are getting married next May 28, 2023, and hope to fly out to Aulani the following day. Having never been to Hawaii, we have TONS of questions with hope that y'all will be able to share your tips and experiences! I'm basically going to list some of the many questions that we have right now-- feel free to answer as few or as many as you'd like or are able to. Thank you in advance!

1. Did you rent a car at the airport, and are you glad you did/didn't?
2. How many nights did you stay? Next time, would you do more or less?
3. What outdoor hiking/adventures/sights would you recommend on Oahu? We are both very outdoorsy people.
4. Would a day-flight to Big Island to see Kilauea and/or the National Park be worth it, or even feasible?
5. Would a split stay between Aulani and Big Island be a better option than the idea in #4? OR are the outdoor sights on Oahu enough to make staying at Aulani the entire time worthwhile?
6. Did you participate in any of the activities/excursions at Aulani? Which do you recommend?
7. Any food recommendations at Aulani?
8. Any food recommendations on Oahu, generally?
9. Is it worth the extra $$$ for a garden or ocean view, or should we be fine with standard to save a few bucks?
10. Any particular airline you'd recommend (or NOT recommend) flying on? We'll be coming from Atlanta.
11. Any must-do's for a honeymoon?
12. Lastly, anything at all we should know that isn't covered in this (rather extensive) list?

Again, thank you all SO much! We are so excited to get the ball rolling.

Hello,
I am planning a honeymoon to Aulani as well. We am going this July (2022). So I can give you advice when we get back BUT I can share some of what we are doing.
1. We did rent a car. From what I hear Ubers are not as reliable and getting around would be difficult without one. If you do book one make sure to do it early.
2. we are going for 10 nights and I already wish we had more time there
3. I asked the Disboard community about outdoor activities on Oahu a couple of months ago. I got some great responses. We decided to do one day on the North side of the island, Peal Harbor, Diamond Head Crater Hike, the ATV tour and a couple of other things. Here is the link to what people said - https://www.disboards.com/threads/honeymoon-tips-island-hopping.3870387/#post-63787044
4. I wanted to go to the Big Island as well! A lot of people suggest not going for just the day but Hawaiian Airlines has tons of flights going back and forth. We decided to fly there on the first flight (6AM) and then get an Airbnb for one night on the island and are leaving to go back first thing the next morning.
6. I'll let you know!
7. I'll let you know!
8. I'll let you know!
9. we are DVC members and splurged for the ocean view room. Probably not going to make it back to HI for awhile so we wanted to make it count!
10. We are taking Southwest to HI and it has already been a nightmare. We had LUV vouchers that covered the price of the flight(s) so it seemed silly to not take them. But coming from NY we have 2 layovers and an overnight (decided to spend that overnight at Disneyland). I think Delta does a nonstop from ATL to HNL or maybe Hawaiian Airlines.
11. I'll let you know!

Good luck on your research!

Hello,
I am planning a honeymoon to Aulani as well. We am going this July (2022). So I can give you advice when we get back BUT I can share some of what we are doing.
1. We did rent a car. From what I hear Ubers are not as reliable and getting around would be difficult without one. If you do book one make sure to do it early.
2. we are going for 10 nights and I already wish we had more time there
3. I asked the Disboard community about outdoor activities on Oahu a couple of months ago. I got some great responses. We decided to do one day on the North side of the island, Peal Harbor, Diamond Head Crater Hike, the ATV tour and a couple of other things. Here is the link to what people said - https://www.disboards.com/threads/honeymoon-tips-island-hopping.3870387/#post-63787044
4. I wanted to go to the Big Island as well! A lot of people suggest not going for just the day but Hawaiian Airlines has tons of flights going back and forth. We decided to fly there on the first flight (6AM) and then get an Airbnb for one night on the island and are leaving to go back first thing the next morning.
6. I'll let you know!
7. I'll let you know!
8. I'll let you know!
9. we are DVC members and splurged for the ocean view room. Probably not going to make it back to HI for awhile so we wanted to make it count!
10. We are taking Southwest to HI and it has already been a nightmare. We had LUV vouchers that covered the price of the flight(s) so it seemed silly to not take them. But coming from NY we have 2 layovers and an overnight (decided to spend that overnight at Disneyland). I think Delta does a nonstop from ATL to HNL or maybe Hawaiian Airlines.
11. I'll let you know!

Good luck on your research!
Thank you so much, and I hope you have the best time on your honeymoon!!! That's coming up so soon! That's a great idea to get an Airbnb for Big Island-- I feel like trying to make two flights in one day and still make the most of our time on the island would be (probably?) doable, but super stressful. On that note-- are you keeping your room at Aulani while you go to Big Island, and returning to it? Or did you schedule that for the end of the trip?

I need to check around for a nonstop flight. Was hoping Southwest would do one, but I'll absolutely check out Delta and Hawaiian Airlines as that would alleviate SO much in that arena.

Thank you again!

We've been to Hawaii three times so far and stayed at Aulani twice. I'll answer these from my point of view, but as we are from the UK it may affect some of the answers!

1. We rented from the airport the first time but were exhausted from a 26 hour journey and then had to adapt to driving on the other side! The next two times we rented a car for a few days mid-stay, particularly to do some out of the way hikes.

2. We could only stay for a week the first time and that was at the North Shore. The second time we did about 10 days at Aulani and a week on a cruise. The last time we did a 3 week split stay of Waikiki for a week, a 1 week cruise, then Aulani at the end. I would love to do that long again! Both of our trips to Aulani I haven't planned enough time for just relaxing at the resort. Next time I need to allow 3-4 days of nothing, but that's quite unusual for us.

3. The hikes we've enjoyed the most have been out of the way with shade cover and very little traffic. I can't actually remember any names as they weren't the popular ones, but I could try to find where we parked. Diamond head has some lovely views, but it's far too busy for my liking. We did it at sunrise this time, which was a lot quieter. The northern walk to ka'ena point has some interesting wildlife but isn't really a hike.

4. A day flight would be enough, but at the moment the lava is most visible at night. The first time we went there was no lava. This time it wasn't visible because of cloud! If we go again we'd like to stay at Volcano house overnight to experience it a little more.

5. If you have never been I would recommend a Waikiki/Aulani split stay with a couple of days on the big island. A lot of people would disagree with me because Waikiki is very busy and doesn't have the feel that a lot of people are looking for. I loved it as a base to experience things. There is definitely enough on Oahu that we are hoping for another visit.

6. I did the Aulani Luau the first time, but I preferred a different one. Their excursions all seemed overpriced.

7. We loved Ama Ama and are still upset that it hasn't re-opened. Other than that, I really enjoyed the Pua'a Kalua Gratin at the Olelo Room. It goes very well with a few cocktails. :-)
The pizza from the cafe was good to share and still have enough for lunch the next day, but we don't usually get them that size in the UK.

8. I love trying anything new, but can't think of any one place that I would recommend just for the food.

9. We loved having an ocean view. I think it's worth it if you like to have a morning coffee or an evening glass of wine on the balcony. If it's just to take some good pictures there are plenty of spots for that, and there are chairs in the hallways if you just want to relax and enjoy the views.

10. I can't help with that. We have quite limited options from here.

11. Leave some unplanned time! Sit on the beach at sunset soaking up the atmosphere (and leave your phones in the room). Wake early to listen to the morning chant. Relax to the music from the Olelo room in the evening.

12. There are a million more things I could add, but if you have any questions please ask.

We've been to Hawaii three times so far and stayed at Aulani twice. I'll answer these from my point of view, but as we are from the UK it may affect some of the answers!

1. We rented from the airport the first time but were exhausted from a 26 hour journey and then had to adapt to driving on the other side! The next two times we rented a car for a few days mid-stay, particularly to do some out of the way hikes.

2. We could only stay for a week the first time and that was at the North Shore. The second time we did about 10 days at Aulani and a week on a cruise. The last time we did a 3 week split stay of Waikiki for a week, a 1 week cruise, then Aulani at the end. I would love to do that long again! Both of our trips to Aulani I haven't planned enough time for just relaxing at the resort. Next time I need to allow 3-4 days of nothing, but that's quite unusual for us.

3. The hikes we've enjoyed the most have been out of the way with shade cover and very little traffic. I can't actually remember any names as they weren't the popular ones, but I could try to find where we parked. Diamond head has some lovely views, but it's far too busy for my liking. We did it at sunrise this time, which was a lot quieter. The northern walk to ka'ena point has some interesting wildlife but isn't really a hike.

4. A day flight would be enough, but at the moment the lava is most visible at night. The first time we went there was no lava. This time it wasn't visible because of cloud! If we go again we'd like to stay at Volcano house overnight to experience it a little more.

5. If you have never been I would recommend a Waikiki/Aulani split stay with a couple of days on the big island. A lot of people would disagree with me because Waikiki is very busy and doesn't have the feel that a lot of people are looking for. I loved it as a base to experience things. There is definitely enough on Oahu that we are hoping for another visit.

6. I did the Aulani Luau the first time, but I preferred a different one. Their excursions all seemed overpriced.

7. We loved Ama Ama and are still upset that it hasn't re-opened. Other than that, I really enjoyed the Pua'a Kalua Gratin at the Olelo Room. It goes very well with a few cocktails. :-)
The pizza from the cafe was good to share and still have enough for lunch the next day, but we don't usually get them that size in the UK.

8. I love trying anything new, but can't think of any one place that I would recommend just for the food.

9. We loved having an ocean view. I think it's worth it if you like to have a morning coffee or an evening glass of wine on the balcony. If it's just to take some good pictures there are plenty of spots for that, and there are chairs in the hallways if you just want to relax and enjoy the views.

10. I can't help with that. We have quite limited options from here.

11. Leave some unplanned time! Sit on the beach at sunset soaking up the atmosphere (and leave your phones in the room). Wake early to listen to the morning chant. Relax to the music from the Olelo room in the evening.

12. There are a million more things I could add, but if you have any questions please ask.
Thank you so much for your advice and recommendations! This is so helpful and insightful. We just booked two days ago and will be doing seven nights at Aulani! We are still thinking about adding time on the other islands but figured we would go ahead and get the biggest thing booked. We went with a garden view, which we felt was a compromise between a parking lot view and an ocean view, both price and quality wise, but I am contemplating upgrading closer to time if it makes sense! I am so excited!

Yes and I'm happy I did. So many things around the island are easy to drive to, including restaurants and grocery stores.

17 days, not all at Aulani. I think 6 to 7 days at Aulani and 3 to 4 at a cheaper place on the other side of the island is my ideal reasonable trip length.

3. What outdoor hiking/adventures/sights would you recommend on Oahu? We are both very outdoorsy people.

Hike to KaEna Point, Makapuu Lighthouse, Diamond Head, multiple Pillbox hikes around the island, and the Koko crater trail.

4. Would a day-flight to Big Island to see Kilauea and/or the National Park be worth it, or even feasible?

It is feasible, but it's pretty expensive. I would recommend spending 1-2 nights there if you want to get the most out of it.

5. Would a split stay between Aulani and Big Island be a better option than the idea in #4? OR are the outdoor sights on Oahu enough to make staying at Aulani the entire time worthwhile?

I can do either. There are plenty of beaches around Oahu to see if you've never been there, but the big volcanoes don't really exist there.

6. Did you participate in any of the activities/excursions at Aulani? Which do you recommend?

I did all the excursions on my own.

The food at Aulani is just fine in my opinion, Ulu Cafe is probably the best.

The Sunrise Shack, Leonard's Malasadas, Jax Pizza on the North Shore, Moke's Bread and Breakfast, Kono's BBQ, Loco Moco BBQ, and the Foodland hot food bar. Zippy's is ok but a classic Hawaiian establishment.

9. Is it worth the extra $$$ for a garden or ocean view, or should we be fine with standard to save a few bucks?

It really depends on the type of room and how much time you plan on staying there. Most of the time I would say no, but if you have a DVC room and plan on eating in the room a lot then I think it might be.

10. Any particular airline you'd recommend (or NOT recommend) flying on? We'll be coming from Atlanta.

I would avoid Southwest because of the staffing issues they have. Delta, United, and Hawaiian are all good options.

Nothing here, just enjoy the island how you want to.

12. Lastly, anything at all we should know that isn't covered in this (rather extensive) list?

Definitely plan to spend a whole day on the north shore, checking out the beaches, pro surfers, parks, and food.

Thank you so much for your advice and recommendations! This is so helpful and insightful. We just booked two days ago and will be doing seven nights at Aulani! We are still thinking about adding time on the other islands but figured we would go ahead and get the biggest thing booked. We went with a garden view, which we felt was a compromise between a parking lot view and an ocean view, both price and quality wise, but I am contemplating upgrading closer to time if it makes sense! I am so excited!
I personally would recommend 3-4 nights on another island. If you really want lava, do the Big Island. But Kauai is so beautiful and have some fabulous resorts if that’s in your price range.

Yes and I'm happy I did. So many things around the island are easy to drive to, including restaurants and grocery stores.

17 days, not all at Aulani. I think 6 to 7 days at Aulani and 3 to 4 at a cheaper place on the other side of the island is my ideal reasonable trip length.

Hike to KaEna Point, Makapuu Lighthouse, Diamond Head, multiple Pillbox hikes around the island, and the Koko crater trail.

It is feasible, but it's pretty expensive. I would recommend spending 1-2 nights there if you want to get the most out of it.

I can do either. There are plenty of beaches around Oahu to see if you've never been there, but the big volcanoes don't really exist there.

I did all the excursions on my own.

The food at Aulani is just fine in my opinion, Ulu Cafe is probably the best.

The Sunrise Shack, Leonard's Malasadas, Jax Pizza on the North Shore, Moke's Bread and Breakfast, Kono's BBQ, Loco Moco BBQ, and the Foodland hot food bar. Zippy's is ok but a classic Hawaiian establishment.

It really depends on the type of room and how much time you plan on staying there. Most of the time I would say no, but if you have a DVC room and plan on eating in the room a lot then I think it might be.

I would avoid Southwest because of the staffing issues they have. Delta, United, and Hawaiian are all good options.

Nothing here, just enjoy the island how you want to.

Definitely plan to spend a whole day on the north shore, checking out the beaches, pro surfers, parks, and food.
Thanks so much! Will definitely check out these hikes and restaurants. And that is great to know about the north shore, too--that sounds awesome.

I personally would recommend 3-4 nights on another island. If you really want lava, do the Big Island. But Kauai is so beautiful and have some fabulous resorts if that’s in your price range.
I think I definitely would like to add on if it ends up being in budget! I would absolutely be torn between the volcanoes on Big Island (childhood fascination, what can I say) and the natural beauty of Kauai.

Looks like there’s been a lot covered already. For activities, I would add:
- plan one hiking trip to a waterfall, Manoa Falls and Hamama Falls would be a little less crowded, and better for a honeymoon activity.

- one crater hike - or two if you enjoy hiking - Diamond Head on a Saturday so you can swing by the Farmers Market across the street (reservations required for the hike), and Koko Head for a challenge (and amazing experience).

- one excursion like the ATV tour at Kualoa, or their secluded beach visit

- one visit to one of Hawaii’s world class restaurants if either of you are foodies. There are a ton of them, and sadly the best of the bunch (Alan Wongs) is now closed. But Chef Chai, 53 by the Sea, MW Restaurant, and others are carrying the torch for Asian fusion cuisine.

- Definitely look into the Byodo-in (replica) Temple. Absolutly beautiful scenery, peaceful, and serene. Feeding the koi, and having finches land on your hand to feed is so much fun.

It used to be that renting a car for the week was much cheaper than a few days of daily rental. But currently, weekly discounts seem to be gone, and if you’re not DVC, you’ll pay a ton for parking, so doing daily rentals may be a better way of going now.

Looks like there’s been a lot covered already. For activities, I would add:
- plan one hiking trip to a waterfall, Manoa Falls and Hamama Falls would be a little less crowded, and better for a honeymoon activity.

- one crater hike - or two if you enjoy hiking - Diamond Head on a Saturday so you can swing by the Farmers Market across the street (reservations required for the hike), and Koko Head for a challenge (and amazing experience).

- one excursion like the ATV tour at Kualoa, or their secluded beach visit

- one visit to one of Hawaii’s world class restaurants if either of you are foodies. There are a ton of them, and sadly the best of the bunch (Alan Wongs) is now closed. But Chef Chai, 53 by the Sea, MW Restaurant, and others are carrying the torch for Asian fusion cuisine.

- Definitely look into the Byodo-in (replica) Temple. Absolutly beautiful scenery, peaceful, and serene. Feeding the koi, and having finches land on your hand to feed is so much fun.

It used to be that renting a car for the week was much cheaper than a few days of daily rental. But currently, weekly discounts seem to be gone, and if you’re not DVC, you’ll pay a ton for parking, so doing daily rentals may be a better way of going now.
This is such a helpful breakdown. Thank you! We love hiking and are absolutely foodies, so we will make sure to check these places out!

If you want to experience a few of the islands I would normally recommend the 7 days cruise with NCL which goes to Maui for 2 days, Hilo and Kona on the big island, then a day and a half at Kauai. I've done it twice and loved it the first time, but at the moment they're very short staffed and it really isn't living up to the cost. It might be worth keeping an eye on to see if things start to improve before you book the rest of your honeymoon. It's used to be a good way to get a taste of lots of aspects to Hawaii.

1. Did you rent a car at the airport, and are you glad you did/didn't? Yes, parking is free is you’re using DVC points and it’s a must if you plan to explore O’ahu.
2. How many nights did you stay? Next time, would you do more or less? 6-7 nights, never seems enough. Would recommend more if you have the time.
3. What outdoor hiking/adventures/sights would you recommend on Oahu? We are both very outdoorsy people. Lanikai pill boxes and beach.
4. Would a day-flight to Big Island to see Kilauea and/or the National Park be worth it, or even feasible? Yes, we’ve done it and very feasible. It makes for a long day but worth the trip.
5. Would a split stay between Aulani and Big Island be a better option than the idea in #4? OR are the outdoor sights on Oahu enough to make staying at Aulani the entire time worthwhile? No. Stay on O’ahu. Not much to do on the big island.
6. Did you participate in any of the activities/excursions at Aulani? Which do you recommend? The external excursions are run by 3rd party operators so probably best to book yourself. Definitely partake in as many activities as you can at Aulani.
7. Any food recommendations at Aulani? Generally all have the same food. Ulu cafe does a nightly special though. Makahiki is delicious.
8. Any food recommendations on Oahu, generally? Monkeypod, Roy’s, Ginza Bairin, Duke’s Ala Moana food court.
9. Is it worth the extra $$$ for a garden or ocean view, or should we be fine with standard to save a few bucks? If you’re not planning on going back for awhile then spring for ocean view. Otherwise standard works.
10. Any particular airline you'd recommend (or NOT recommend) flying on? We'll be coming from Atlanta. Hawaiian Airlines has the best service and lie-flat seats for first class. Highly recommend.
11. Any must-do's for a honeymoon? Luau for your first time. Pearl Harbor is a must as well.
12. Lastly, anything at all we should know that isn't covered in this (rather extensive) list? Go to the Pali lookout. Stock up at Costco/Target on your way in. Get the Haupia pie at McDonald’s…life changing.

1. Did you rent a car at the airport, and are you glad you did/didn't? Yes, parking is free is you’re using DVC points and it’s a must if you plan to explore O’ahu.
2. How many nights did you stay? Next time, would you do more or less? 6-7 nights, never seems enough. Would recommend more if you have the time.
3. What outdoor hiking/adventures/sights would you recommend on Oahu? We are both very outdoorsy people. Lanikai pill boxes and beach.
4. Would a day-flight to Big Island to see Kilauea and/or the National Park be worth it, or even feasible? Yes, we’ve done it and very feasible. It makes for a long day but worth the trip.
5. Would a split stay between Aulani and Big Island be a better option than the idea in #4? OR are the outdoor sights on Oahu enough to make staying at Aulani the entire time worthwhile? No. Stay on O’ahu. Not much to do on the big island.
6. Did you participate in any of the activities/excursions at Aulani? Which do you recommend? The external excursions are run by 3rd party operators so probably best to book yourself. Definitely partake in as many activities as you can at Aulani.
7. Any food recommendations at Aulani? Generally all have the same food. Ulu cafe does a nightly special though. Makahiki is delicious.
8. Any food recommendations on Oahu, generally? Monkeypod, Roy’s, Ginza Bairin, Duke’s Ala Moana food court.
9. Is it worth the extra $$$ for a garden or ocean view, or should we be fine with standard to save a few bucks? If you’re not planning on going back for awhile then spring for ocean view. Otherwise standard works.
10. Any particular airline you'd recommend (or NOT recommend) flying on? We'll be coming from Atlanta. Hawaiian Airlines has the best service and lie-flat seats for first class. Highly recommend.
11. Any must-do's for a honeymoon? Luau for your first time. Pearl Harbor is a must as well.
12. Lastly, anything at all we should know that isn't covered in this (rather extensive) list? Go to the Pali lookout. Stock up at Costco/Target on your way in. Get the Haupia pie at McDonald’s…life changing.
Definitely a great idea to stock up on the way in- thank you!!! Will have to try that pie as well.

I've been looking into Hawaiian Airlines, so that's great to know it comes highly recommended!

1. Did you rent a car at the airport, and are you glad you did/didn't? rent a car easier to get around could do the bus but time is more important
2. How many nights did you stay? Next time, would you do more or less? Oahu 5 nights is enough to see most stuff
3. What outdoor hiking/adventures/sights would you recommend on Oahu? Aeia loop is a good hike and wasn't to crowded when I lived there. Nice views and can see Pearl Harbour
4. Would a day-flight to Big Island to see Kilauea and/or the National Park be worth it, or even feasible? yes and if it is going to be you only trip defiantly
Do a split stay took my parents on a 10 day trip 2 days Big island 4 on Kauai and 4 on Oahu. Was able to see most everything
6. Did you participate in any of the activities/excursions at Aulani? Which do you recommend? no idea
7. Any food recommendations at Aulani? no idea
8. Any food recommendations on Oahu, generally? If you start missing mainland food Dixie Grill is good.
9. Is it worth the extra $$$ for a garden or ocean view, or should we be fine with standard to save a few bucks? no idea
10. Any particular airline you'd recommend (or NOT recommend) flying on? We'll be coming from Atlanta. Hawaiian but would have to connect on the west coast. But you feel like your vacation has started once you boarded
12. Lastly, anything at all we should know that isn't covered in this (rather extensive) list? take your time to enjoy it and dont rush around trying to do everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter