• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Honda Odyssey

Tink2000

Mouseketeer
Looking at buying a 2011 EX-L Honda Odyssey any comments about them? Good or bad.....

I bought a 2010 LX in August.

I had been driving a 12 year old Pontiac minivan.

The Pontiac got better gas mileage; the Odyssey doesn't coast well.

Other than that it is great.

I know the 2011 is a redesign though, so maybe my info isn't useful.

(p.s. And the Odyssey radio/speakers are awful. Worth an upgrade if you can.)

I don't know about the Odyssey...but we bought a 2011 Toyota Sienna about 3 months ago......LOVE IT!!!

The last toyota I had for 8 years....and never any problems...so we went with Toyota again!

I have several friends who have older Odyssesys and love them, but i dont know anyone with a new one.

Looking at buying a 2011 EX-L Honda Odyssey any comments about them? Good or bad.....

We've got a 2006 Odyssey, and LOVE it! It's driven to Disney many times:goodvibes. We haven't had any issues with it.

My friend just got a 2011, and has been happy with it (I don't know details though).

I don't like the look of the 2011 as much as my 2008 EX-L, but that's a personal thing.

Everyone I know that has a Honda Odyssey loves it. Many of us are on our second Odyssey (I traded in my 2002 with 80K on it). No one I know who has had a Honda has a different brand of van now -- if they are driving anything else it's up to an SUV for towing or to get 9 seats.

I have also known 3 different friends/family who have walked away from serious accidents in their Odysseys (T-boned, pushed into light pole, etc.)

Can you tell I'm a fan?

PHXscuba

Me and BFF both have 2005 Ody's. I have the EX-L and she purchased the Touring.

She's had more trouble with hers because of the run flat tires. Finally she paid 2K to get out of the run flats, so I would definitely not let them talk you into "upgrading" to the Touring model.

I have had only small issues. I dont like that the interior lights will stay on, and has run my battery down. Battery has been replaced twice under warranty.

The rear hatch hydraulics failed after 5 years, also replaced under warranty.

Other than that, I have changed the oil and tires and that is it.:wizard:

We drive to WDW every year 2400 miles rt.

I researched on www.odyclub.com

i had an exl 07 odyssey... it was ok... I have the new limited sienna and LOVE that!! much nicer to drive than the odyssey...

We have 2-Odyssey's and love them. The highlights for me are:

safety

reliabiity

comfort (it accomodates me (5'4) and my husband (6'5) easily in both the front and mid-seats)

functionality: voice activated controls, gps, adjustable petals, lots of storage, regular power outlet as well as the "lighter-type" outlets, dvd player, engine that shuts down some of the cylinders to save on gas when possible, rear back up camera and sensors

I have the EX-L
I have had only small issues. I dont like that the interior lights will stay on, and has run my battery down. Battery has been replaced twice under warranty.

The rear hatch hydraulics failed after 5 years, also replaced under warranty.

Other than that, I have changed the oil and tires and that is it.:wizard:
I have the same van. 2005 EX-L. And the same issues. Kicking myself now because I didn't even think about checking the warranty for the battery and the hydrolics. I've only had to replace my battery once though, about a year ago.

The rear hydrolics we replaced about a month ago. DH just bought the parts and did it himself. Took less than an hour and under $100.

I hate vans. I hate being the minivan mom. But I LOVE :lovestruc my Odyssey. My van has been to Disney from GA and VA 8 times, it visits GA from VA every year, it drives all over the state for gymnastics competitions, it visits TN once a year for gymnastics camp. It's wonderful. My dh has a 4 door sedan. My van has been get up and go than his "you want me to do what?" car does. I've been in one accident in it. The fall of 2005 (I got it in Feb) I was changing lanes and some jerk decided he didn't want a van in front of him and decided to gun it and try to pass me. He ended up sliding down my entire passenger side. His car was a mess. His bumper was hanging off, he took off his side mirror...Did a fair amount of denting to my doors and the only thing needed was to replace the panals. No one inside hurt in any way.

If I were to get another van - I wouldn't hesitate to get another Odyssey.

I also have a 2005 Odyssey, and agree that it has been mostly reliable. I have also found that the battery drains easily, and have had to replace several batteries. My automatic sliding door on the left side has stopped working. I have to turn off the power doors and open and close the left side manually. I wish my DH was handy with cars, but he's not so I live with it.

I have enjoyed the convenience of the Odyssey, but look forward to driving something else. But that's more of a minivan thing - it's just not "fun" to drive.

2006 EX-L Odyssey here

love love love it

feels so sturdy and safe, nice ride. love all of the features; volume on steering wheel is my favorite!

The only drawback is that it is one big blind spot. I have turned into a horrible driver since we got the van. You look both ways, start to go, then someone's there. Merging lanes is frightening. You turn back to look and all you see are the sides of the van. It's almost impossible to see when you're backing up. I just hope for the best.

I wasn't suprised when I saw the commercial for the new Odyssey that said it had some sort of warning sound for the blind spot.

I also have a 2005 Odyssey, and agree that it has been mostly reliable. I have also found that the battery drains easily, and have had to replace several batteries. My automatic sliding door on the left side has stopped working. I have to turn off the power doors and open and close the left side manually. I wish my DH was handy with cars, but he's not so I live with it.

I have enjoyed the convenience of the Odyssey, but look forward to driving something else. But that's more of a minivan thing - it's just not "fun" to drive.

Our door stopped working and it costs 220 or so to fix...

Car has been great nad safety is tops...

We have a 2004, the first time we ever purchased a brand new car. It's been fantastic. It has never been in the shop other than for routine maintenance.
We had looked at cheaper brands but very glad we did not go that route.

I had a 2007 Odyssey and traded it in for a 2011 EX-L with RES. I thought the old Odyssey was a smoother ride, but there are options I LOVE on the new one like auto open/close on the back gate, USB (IPOD) input, some better storage options. LOVE the rear outlet in the back so my son can plug his stuff in directly without a special adapter. I love the auto light feature too.

My only complaint has been the bluetooth seems to have an issue where it randomly drops calls from bluetooth to handset (back and forth) during a call. It's incredibly annoying. It seems like a lot of people are having the issue.

I love the Odyssey -- it's been a very reliable vehicle and accommodates our lifestyle well! :thumbsup2

I've had two over the past 8 years...
Bought a 2003 in 2003 and drove it until this past October! It was an EX-L, and we never had a single issue. It got great gas mileage and had a smooth ride. In October, we purchased a 2011 Touring (after driving the other one for almost 8 years)! I am IN LOVE with my new Odyssey! Love the safety features, and I cannot believe how quiet it is on the interstate!!! Btw, the 2011 does not have the run flat tires...we would not have purchased the touring if it did, as we had heard of so many problems with them. We drove the new van to Disney over Christmas, and it was a fabulous trip!:)

Have a 2008 base model bought it used in 2009 with only 11K miles on it. Hve put 30K miles on it so far including 1 trip to WDW. We traded in a 2004 Toyota Sienna that had 120K miles on it. That toyota had a ton of issues with it, thats why we went Honda. No issues so far except its a gas hog.

I owned 3 Odysseys before I moved out of minivan mode. I loved every one of them! My only complaint was that it (they) didn't drive all that well in the snow. I live in northern Minnesota in a very hilly city, so having van that didn't perform all that well after a snowfall was frustrating at times. We had never tried snow tires, though, which we have been told probably would have helped quite a bit.

I have a 2008 odyssey and it's been great! So nice to drive. I don't find it to be a gas guzzler at all. My parents have the toyota sienna and they love that too. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. We follow each other down to disney each summer and the gas mileage on our honda and their toyota is usually very similar, plus our van is loaded down with 5 people and all of our stuff, where they only have 2 people and their stuff. Their toyota does have slightly more interior room, especially across the back seat. Not sure if the new design of the honda is wider than my model though.

Before my odyssey, I had a ford freestar minivan. It was OK, but I wouldn't have trusted it long term (we leased it). It didn't ride as smooth, didn't have the pickup that the honda does, and had many more rattles and shakes. It just didn't seem to be of the same quality.

We just test drove the new 2011 EX-L a couple of weeks ago-LOVE IT!! I currently have a 2004 EX and never had any issues with it. Drove it 2000+miles to Disney 2x's!! It's so different from the older models. We also test drove the Sienna & Suburban and the Honda is the definite winner!!! Don't hesitate to buy it!!! Enjoy =)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter