• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Honda HRV or Kia Soul?

ms.yt

DIS Veteran
After 10 years, I'm leaving the world of being a minivan mom in favor of something smaller with better fuel efficiency. I've narrowed it down to either a Honda HRV or a Kia Soul and would love some input from owners of either vehicle.

I've been driving a Honda Odyssey for the last 5 years, and it's been a great vehicle. No problems whatsoever, so that makes me lean towards the HRV. However, my husband has a Kia Soul, and he really likes it. I've done research on both, and they get similar marks in reliability and other areas. I can maybe get a Soul for a little less money, but I'm kind of reluctant to drive the same kind of vehicle as my husband. That seems a little weird to me, but I don't guess it really is that big of a deal. :tongue:

Any suggestions?

After 10 years, I'm leaving the world of being a minivan mom in favor of something smaller with better fuel efficiency. I've narrowed it down to either a Honda HRV or a Kia Soul and would love some input from owners of either vehicle.

I've been driving a Honda Odyssey for the last 5 years, and it's been a great vehicle. No problems whatsoever, so that makes me lean towards the HRV. However, my husband has a Kia Soul, and he really likes it. I've done research on both, and they get similar marks in reliability and other areas. I can maybe get a Soul for a little less money, but I'm kind of reluctant to drive the same kind of vehicle as my husband. That seems a little weird to me, but I don't guess it really is that big of a deal. :tongue:

Any suggestions?

We have 2 Souls a 2010 and a 2013 and they are both the same color. Drives my neighbor crazy.

We love our Souls and DH tells anyone who asks it is like driving your couch. I like that you can fold down the back seats and haul a small load if needed. We have had no maintenance problems and great gas mileage.

The only problem (which isn't really a problem for us) is that it is next to impossible to install a car seat rearfacing and not have to hug the dashboard. If you are going to have young grandkids that could be a problem.

I have never driven an HRV so can't compare but we will get another Soul when it is time to trade up.

Everyone always says "buy Honda" but honestly, I love my Kia Soul! The gas mileage is amazing (my last vehicle was a minivan), it responds well in traffic and at high speed, and it's comfortable to drive. I get about 28mpg in the city and 35mpg on the highway. The only way I'd love it more is if it had heated seats- LOL!! When the lease on my DH's Equinox runs out, we'll buy another Soul.

Oh man, you guys have me jealous! I have wanted a Kia Soul, Nissan Cube or Scion XB, but I have to have AWD or 4WD. My dad had a Scion XB when they first came out and you had to be on a waiting list, and you got the color that was offered to you! I loved that thing.

I traded in my 11 year old Odyssey last fall for a CRV. I looked at the HRV but they were quite a bit more expensive than the CRV and had several months wait list.
Got a great deal at the end of the season on the CRV and very happy we went with that so the size was more of a gradual downsizing!
It's a nice change to drive a smaller car after two decades of mini vans!
Enjoy your new car whichever model you go with!

I traded in my 11 year old Odyssey last fall for a CRV. I looked at the HRV but they were quite a bit more expensive than the CRV and had several months wait list.
Got a great deal at the end of the season on the CRV and very happy we went with that so the size was more of a gradual downsizing!
It's a nice change to drive a smaller car after two decades of mini vans!
Enjoy your new car whichever model you go with!
If you don't mind answering, how was the smaller hrv more expensive than the crv in your area. High demand possibly? We have two at our dealership asking $27k(fully loaded)with crvs asking over 31k. Low model lx crvs are asking 26k. I really haven't seen many so that's why I'm thinking high demand low supply. Btw, I think those hrvs look pretty neat. My wife loves her crv.

I am guessing it was because of demand. We paid 22 for our CRV LX when they were clearing last years models.

They were taking orders last September at our Honda dealer for the HRVs with several months wait list and only selling at full list sticker price, no negotiations on options (don't want to pay for alot of stuff we don't need such as sunroof, power hatch-back), no color choice.
Did not make sense for us to pay more for a smaller vehicle. Glad we went with the basic CRV. Love the size.

I thought I wanted a Kia Soul to replace my Odyssey until I got in my aunt's and realized how small it was. The Honda CRV felt a lot better and was a real contender for me.

I ended up going a bit bigger, buying a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee in April, after 15 years of minivans. I love the car, the mileage is way better than the Odyssey (23 vs 17) but vacation time this summer showed how hard it is to downsize....we were packed in.

Honda. Absolutely Honda. Yes, I"m partial having owned nothing but Honda's since 1991. They are built extremely well and I've done nothing to any of them except routine maintenance even while surpassing 100K miles! Most recent is a CRV, to replace a 10 year old CRV. Love it.

The Kia has a much longer warranty.
If you purchase a car with a longer warranty, make sure you thoroughly research what the warranty covers. Don't base your purchase soley on a longer warranty, as it is basically useless. It is easy enough to read the stories online. Resale is also a concern. Resale values of Kia's are practically nil, while Honda's retain their value very well.

If you purchase a car with a longer warranty, make sure you thoroughly research what the warranty covers. Don't base your purchase soley on a longer warranty, as it is basically useless. It is easy enough to read the stories online. Resale is also a concern. Resale values of Kia's are practically nil, while Honda's retain their value very well.

Resale is solely based on your area. I have 3 dealerships and 2 private individuals offering me way more for my 2010 Soul than I think it is worth. $14-15K

Kia advantages: Longer warranty. About $4,000 cheaper.
Kia disadvantages: Fewer dealerships to do those warranty repairs, and at least here, none stay in business very long.

Honda advantages: At least here, long established dealerships. Strong reputation.
Honda disadvantages: The most stolen brand on the road which means higher insurance costs. Of course, being a popular brand is part of the problem, but apparently Hondas are also easier to steal than other brands.

I'd drive both and see which you prefer, then compare prices. I don't you could go wrong with either.

Honda CRV all the way. They are the most reliable cars on the highway. Honda does not have to have a crazy long warranty b/c their cars are amazing. I live in the midwest so we have all seasons. Never have seen a honda on the side of the road in all my years driving. They have amazing resale value. Will be driving mine into the ground. Kia's sound cheap.

Honda will last longer than a Kia. If you keep your car until they die, buy Honda.

Everyone I know that has a Kia would love to trade it in because it is constantly in the shop.
We have had our SOUL for 6 years and have 165,000 miles on it- never had it in the shop for anything other than scheduled maintenance. We love ours and plan on driving it for at least another 5 years. It has been the most reliable car we have ever owned.

something smaller with better fuel efficiency
Have you considered the Prius V? It's like a mini-mini-van.

The Prius V is rated for 42mpg. However, I've been able to average 48 mpg. On some drives 58mpg, if I'm in real slow traffic with lots of lights!

Have you considered the Prius V? It's like a mini-mini-van.

The Prius V is rated for 42mpg. However, I've been able to average 48 mpg. On some drives 58mpg, if I'm in real slow traffic with lots of lights!
I just checked it out after I saw your post. It looks great, but we're wanting to reduce our car payments from what we had with our minivan, and I'm ready to drive something smaller. The HRV and Soul both fit the bill on these areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter