• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Homeschooled child concern

Eh. I wouldn't worry myself about their chosen school schedule. If they are new to homeschooling then they are probably still figuring out what works for them. I also wouldn't worry about the lack of involvement in social activities. The child is healing from being bullied. Maybe the kid needs time to rebuild self esteem and confidence. Not to mentioned the time needed to network with other homeschool families. Those relationships need time.

Well if you really must know, that "circle" is family. And the child is my only niece.

My answer still stands. Homeschooling children is an alternative to reg. schooling. It is sort of the nature of what it is. And you get out of it, what you put into it.

Certainly not my cup of tea for sure but it is for some.

Also take note that even public schooling has "alternative schooling"., To think that the public school does not engage in alternative schooling is a false notion.

Doing "packets" in a fire station for 2hrs a day is not the best instruction either. (one of the alt schools in our district, called PATH, I think).

Because she's my niece, and I'm concerned because she doesn't have any friends and is staying up all night on the computer. That wouldn't concern you at all?

who are you to say she doent have any friends??? and whats the big deal with being on the computer?? I have been part of online communities and used to spent all my time in internet cafes before I got a lap top. Some of my closest friends are people I "met" on the internet, people who i have far more in common with than people who I went to school with, people in my local area who were supposed to be my friends!!

I now have my own digital marketing business and get paid by companies to be be on Twitter and Facebook and look after their websites!!

BIG FRIDGE DESK she spends all her time on the computer. Leave her alone, its people like you who drive people like her and me to to retreat to the internet and find people we can connect with

There are a lot of homeschoolers who strongly believe in a period of "deschooling" when you first leave a traditional school to get everyone adjusted to the new flexibility, figure out what works, and unlearn some of the habits from school. Especially since they left due to a specific negative experience, I can understand their desire to let her unwind a little. It's probably not what I would do, but since it's not my kid, and since there's no concern of abuse or neglect, this falls squarely in the MYOB category.

Honestly it does. And btw I am not the only one who asked. I take from your defensive posture you don't. You need to butt the heck out.

In my opinion you should have no opinion :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
I have/had two children. One is a freshman in college, the other died at birth.

Maybe I should have phrased it like this: in your opinion, is this a good way to raise a child? Also the child is not in any social activities. I feel that is very bad.

Social activities...might be on the computer. DS plays computer games with friends from high school and others. A group of very bright students. They all moved on to the same college after high school. While they all lived on campus, they would meet up for meals and to hit the gym. When they went home on breaks, they would interact through the computer game. It's rather funny to DH and I that these guys are all real life friends, but interact so much through the computer game. But they are all well adjusted kids with futures and furthering their education who can and do hold conversations as "normal" people do.

And yet we are all communicating on a Disney message board-irony anyone?

Just different strokes these days.

Last edited:
No, it would not bother me in the slightest. I've known many homeschooling parents through the years, and in 3 different states as we've moved. Everyone has their own style, and most of them had a lax time schedule, as far as when the "school" day started and ended. We have a home-schooling relative who keeps a strict schedule (she has 7 kids she's teaching), and I've also known free-range style home-schoolers. One family we know fairly well, the mom and DD15 just got back from a 30-day stint in Europe (London, Paris, Florence)--I'm so jealous! But what a fabulous way to learn about art and history and culture!

OP, You need to back off and MYOB. If you're asked for your opinion, I would suggest you give specific concerns--about lack of socialization or whatever. But unless you're in a position to evaluate the child's actual work and compare it to the 12yo norm, you really shouldn't be criticizing.

Well if you really must know, that "circle" is family. And the child is my only niece.

That really shouldn't matter. It may not be how you'd like to see it done. It's not how I would do it personally...I am not a believer at all in homeschooling (generally speaking), but that's just my opinion. However, it's none of my business, and really not yours either. It's legal, it's a commonly accepted practice, and I'm sure there are tons of others who do homeschooling and follow a similar schedule.

That one of the advantages of homeschooling you can start school at a later time which is benefit to many to many kids.who hate getting up so early. It sounds like your sibling is doing the right thing by having parental controls set on Facebook, which I didn't even know you could do.

Whether I have kids or not is irrelevant, so I suggest you stop asking.

It is quite relevant. If you have kids it will, at least, give you some justification on your opinion.....not that you would be right in your opinion.
If you do not have kids then who are you to speak?

ETA I am very sorry for your loss. One of the hardest things ever to endure, I am sure.
My opinion on the matter still stands

Because she's my niece, and I'm concerned because she doesn't have any friends and is staying up all night on the computer. That wouldn't concern you at all?

At this point, from being bullied, your niece doesn’t have friends. She is probably just now finding some peace inside herself. If she is keeping up with the academic part of her life, when she is ready again she will be with her peers at a time when she is stronger. Do you have any idea the turmoil that goes on inside a person when they are forced to be in school when being bullied? Grades are down because of the effort to do work at a place that causes anxiety, hurt and pressure. You can be an Aunt to her by exploring her interests and just listening to her.

I totally agree with your thoughts/feelings about this parenting style (call it whatever)

But, what makes you think you have the right or obligation to judge, here?
Seriously, NOT your business....
Back away, slowly....

Ask yourself. Why would somebody want to continue to subject themselves to your (or anyone else's) 'opinion' (judgement).

You can't backtrack here, because you didn't ask 'What would you think.'
You clearly have been offering unsolicited negative opinions, and the mother has responded.

Again, while I agree with your basic thoughts/concerns... You might want to be aware that the reason somebody might ask if you have kids, is because, if you did, as a mother, you might understand that to a mother, unsolicited negative opinions (aka 'judgements') often come like an assault from almost everyone else out there who seem to feel free to tell you 'you are doing it wrong'.
This will def. go over like a lead balloon.

The facebook thing might a little, but unless it's my child, it's not my business.

The rest, not in the least.

I know it's hard to step back, and maybe there's a backstory here--you seem clearly worried about your niece--but homeschoolers have to adhere to guidelines, checks from the state and testing. Let them do their job. Unless you suspect abuse, I would stay out of it. I teach teenagers, and nobody is on Facebook. It's all snapchat and Instagram.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter