Homeschool Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to Williamsburg in May. I would love to go during HS days but DH is an accountant and Sept-Oct are busy season and he can't go anywhere until after Oct. 15th. Not sure I want to go alone.

Dawn

We booked Homeschool Days in Williamsburg for September!!!! I am excited. The program looks really fun. It will be our 2nd trip there this year, but we won't be able to go at all next year.

We used Calvert for 4 years (PK-2), this year we will be using Sonlight. I am looking foward to the change. We will still be using Horizons for math. We start August 2nd.

We went to Williamsburg in May. I would love to go during HS days but DH is an accountant and Sept-Oct are busy season and he can't go anywhere until after Oct. 15th. Not sure I want to go alone.

Dawn
When we were there in March, we met a family minus the dad. It was just mom and the 2 kids. They lived in SC and drove up. Dad couldn't come due to work. I don't know if I would want to do it alone either, but they all did fine. We kept meeting up with them our whole trip.

When we were there in March, we met a family minus the dad. It was just mom and the 2 kids. They lived in SC and drove up. Dad couldn't come due to work. I don't know if I would want to do it alone either, but they all did fine. We kept meeting up with them our whole trip.

Hey!

We are booked for Williamsburg as well. I think we are going the first week, but I am nowhere near my calendar at the moment.

That will be our transition break between grades. This year was a challenge as I was ill for half of my pregnancy. Plus we are moving. Eek!

I am so happy that I found this thread, I feel bad that I haven't read the entire thing but here it goes.... Let me give you some background.

I am 21 and I have my DS 3( I know I know young) We are currently living with my parents so that i can be full time care taker to my 90 year old grandfather and my sister 9 and brother 11, We will be moving out right after our September trip hopefully with my husbands new promotion and for our sanity.

My DS is currently 3 will be 4 in Nov. I have thought about homeschooling for awhile now. I had actually thought about doing it myself when I became pregnant with my son my junior year, but did not and finished school. My husband, my sons father and my mother who is a teacher, don't really agree with me wanting to do so. Its not so much that I love my son and don't want him to leave, but I look at it more of an adventure like being able to watch him grow and grow together. When I was put on bed rest the beginning of my senior year my math teacher came to my house and tutored me, i was doing amazing the best i had ever done. When i got back to school it was awful you couldn't focus everyone would constantly talk. My mother has been giving me a lot of stuff recently because I don't have him in day care well i cant afford (in our area)250 dollars a week for two days in daycare or preschool.She also keeps telling me that its going to be impossible for him to be in kindergarten. My fathers son thinks its just a big joke mind you he is 21, and is a "cool" kid. He thinks that my son will get no interaction or will become a social misfit. His father did homeschooling when he was in his junior year.Go figure. And my husband just worries about the social interaction and everything else. So I guess im just looking for some advice as to what all of you think, and where i should go from here. Sorry for writing a book but just thought I would ask. Thanks

I really have no wisdom except to say that I think survival and support for you will be finding the right group of homeschool moms in your area. If you can't, then finding groups online will serve a bit - but it's not near as good. Are you anywhere near York, PA? One of the girls who is a travel agent for my agency and also homeschools (Amy) recently moved there. I'd love to put you in touch with her.

And, how amazing are you? I'm so impressed that you would be ready to pursue what's best for your child despite being surrounded by people who may want to shoot you down. Kudos to you! Email me if you'd like to be put in touch with Amy.

I am so happy that I found this thread, I feel bad that I haven't read the entire thing but here it goes.... Let me give you some background.

I am 21 and I have my DS 3( I know I know young) We are currently living with my parents so that i can be full time care taker to my 90 year old grandfather and my sister 9 and brother 11, We will be moving out right after our September trip hopefully with my husbands new promotion and for our sanity.

My DS is currently 3 will be 4 in Nov. I have thought about homeschooling for awhile now. I had actually thought about doing it myself when I became pregnant with my son my junior year, but did not and finished school. My husband, my sons father and my mother who is a teacher, don't really agree with me wanting to do so. Its not so much that I love my son and don't want him to leave, but I look at it more of an adventure like being able to watch him grow and grow together. When I was put on bed rest the beginning of my senior year my math teacher came to my house and tutored me, i was doing amazing the best i had ever done. When i got back to school it was awful you couldn't focus everyone would constantly talk. My mother has been giving me a lot of stuff recently because I don't have him in day care well i cant afford (in our area)250 dollars a week for two days in daycare or preschool.She also keeps telling me that its going to be impossible for him to be in kindergarten. My fathers son thinks its just a big joke mind you he is 21, and is a "cool" kid. He thinks that my son will get no interaction or will become a social misfit. His father did homeschooling when he was in his junior year.Go figure. And my husband just worries about the social interaction and everything else. So I guess im just looking for some advice as to what all of you think, and where i should go from here. Sorry for writing a book but just thought I would ask. Thanks

I think you should do what you feel is right for you and your child!! Sometimes you have to go against the grain and venture out...I was then only person I knew in my area hsing when I started. In the years since, we had the number rise from 1 (me) in our local church (not a really big church, mind you) to 5 families...in the first 3 years I hsed. Of course, I meet more and more people all the time who are in my area hsing...but when I started it was a solo adventure!!! I have never looked back or felt regret for choosing to do it. I now have started our 7th year!!!! just take it one year/one major decision at a time and you'll be fine!

Hey!

We are booked for Williamsburg as well. I think we are going the first week, but I am nowhere near my calendar at the moment.

That will be our transition break between grades. This year was a challenge as I was ill for half of my pregnancy. Plus we are moving. Eek!

We will be going the 2nd week. Sounds like you had a tough year. Here's to a better one!

Just wanted to stop by and say Hi!

I am about to start Homeschooling my 7th grader and 5th grader this year due to bullying issues with my 7th grader. My husband and I will be doing the Homeschooling and since this is our first time doing this, I am glad to have found this post!

I look forward to reading your posts and maybe getting some help and ideas from you all! We are all set for this year with lesson plans in place and a nice support group here where we live :)

Just wanted to stop by and say Hi!

I am about to start Homeschooling my 7th grader and 5th grader this year due to bullying issues with my 7th grader. My husband and I will be doing the Homeschooling and since this is our first time doing this, I am glad to have found this post!

I look forward to reading your posts and maybe getting some help and ideas from you all! We are all set for this year with lesson plans in place and a nice support group here where we live :)

Sounds like you have a good foundation to start. Good luck and welcome!

Usually stay on the DisDad's board but was reading a post about someone wanting to take a child from school and couldn't believe people still think this way...

"If you choose to home school, you may not be able to work"

Homeschooling is work. DS had issues with his 1st grade teacher (combined 1st/2nd) so dw taught him at home for 2nd grade. It wasn't cheaper than the Christian school and it wasn't easier but it was worth it. Got his Iowa Tests and he is one grade above on all but listening skills. :thumbsup2

So to all of you that are homeschooling, keep up the good work.

Usually stay on the DisDad's board but was reading a post about someone wanting to take a child from school and couldn't believe people still think this way...

"If you choose to home school, you may not be able to work"

Homeschooling is work. DS had issues with his 1st grade teacher (combined 1st/2nd) so dw taught him at home for 2nd grade. It wasn't cheaper than the Christian school and it wasn't easier but it was worth it. Got his Iowa Tests and he is one grade above on all but listening skills. :thumbsup2

So to all of you that are homeschooling, keep up the good work.

Bless you!! LOL..I thought you were about to slam us!!! Ha!!! I know so many people who still look at me all crazy when I say we homeschool.....like we are from another planet...it is hard work....but we love it!!!

Bless you!! LOL..I thought you were about to slam us!!! Ha!!! I know so many people who still look at me all crazy when I say we homeschool.....like we are from another planet...it is hard work....but we love it!!!

I hear ya!

Me again!

With our older son, we used Spectrum Chemistry which had great labs and an OK textbook. I'm considering ordering the consumable materials for the labs along with another lab notebook for our younger son but using a completely different textbook. But... chemistry was and is not what you might call my strong suit. Does anyone have a suggestion for a really well explained but still complete chemistry course? It has to have good explanations and plenty of worked out problems so I can get through it with my son but in-depth enough because this kid will go into some sort of science or math field. (I think. I hope he doesn't end up working at Dunkin' Donuts for years like my nephew.)

Thanks for any suggestions,

NHWX

Apologia has a good set. I like that has 16 modules. I assign one to last 2 weeks and it is up to them to manage their time in reading, doing exercises, labs, and the test. We had always used Abeka where I say, "Today read pages 51-56 and do quiz 3". Now they have to allocate time like they will do in college.

I had no idea! Awesome!

Joined HSLDA 2 nights ago. I don't think I knew I was gonna get a membership card. That's awesome! And should be very helpful!

Oooooh!!! I could kiss you!!!! I'm very into sewing and crafting. Even my boys have taken interest at one time or another to make things that they'd like to have. JoAnn's will be a huuuuge money-saver for us. Thank you!

All that said, I haven't been to this board since May. Wow! Lotsa pages since then that I haven't even begun to sift thru.

We're new Texas homeschoolers this year. I'm actually quite jazzed! I've been going 'round and 'round staring at curriculum, reading books about curriculum, etc. trying to make my selections for our boys without breaking the bank. ((The hubby was out of work for 2 months this spring so we're still trying to rehabilitate the savings account.. ;))) Finding good secular curriculum that's not super expensive but still thorough has been a real challenge. ((I know, all us noobs have to go thru this mega-stress over curriculum... :laughing:))

So here's my questions:

1. I really, really like how Math-U-See looks. I like their practical application/word problem/manipulative approach to learning especially when moving towards the upper levels of math. My oldest is having the same problems I did with pre-Algebra. He finds no logic so nothing makes sense and he doesn't understand. Have any of you used upper level Math-U-See? Thoughts?

2. Saxon math. Saxon looks like it's more traditional along the lines of what we remember from school. Is it a difficult math to follow, particularly for high school levels?

3. Have any of you seen or used the Homeschooling Bootcamp program? We went to the SETHSA conference in June & really, really enjoyed the 2 seminars we attended, one of which was for beginners. I'm hoping to find something that'll help guide me to getting organized. So, have you seen or used this program? Any other suggestions along those lines?

4. Are there certain curriculum publishers out there that are more "credible" than others? The reason I ask is when the kids get to college apps and such will I have put them at a disadvantage at all if I didn't get them "the good stuff" (whatever that is)?

Thanks so much for your time. I'd be lost without knowing where to find other homeschool families to ask about this stuff. I'm so totally psyched and scared and happy and excited and nervous about how this will all play out. One thing I know for absolute certain: I am doing the right thing by going down this road with my sons. I only wish I'd done it sooner.

Welcome to homeschooling.
We used Abeka math through 8th grade and it was great. We tried Saxon Algebra and it did not always explain well. We tried Teaching Textbooks and they are so wonderful. There is a cd with each lesson and a separate set that explains every problem in every lesson. We used both Algebra I and II and will be doing geometry this year.

Apologia has a good set. I like that has 16 modules. I assign one to last 2 weeks and it is up to them to manage their time in reading, doing exercises, labs, and the test. We had always used Abeka where I say, "Today read pages 51-56 and do quiz 3". Now they have to allocate time like they will do in college.

Thanks! I'll have to look them up. Of course, I think I just missed a big sale at homeschool buyer's co-op.

Anyone used the Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance course for teens?

Thanks again!

NHWX

Thanks! I'll have to look them up. Of course, I think I just missed a big sale at homeschool buyer's co-op.

Anyone used the Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance course for teens?

Thanks again!

NHWX

No...but I am interested!!!

I signed up last night for the Border's Home Educator's discount card. I don't know how much I will use it, but it is nice to have.

Hi Everybody. Just popping in. We start back on Tuesday.

Using Moving Beyond the Page this year for 5-7 and 9-11, plus supplementing 9-11 with CTY math (John Hopkins), Getting Started with Latin & Story of the World 2.

I am SUPER DUPER excited about Moving Beyond the Page.

Hope everyone has a great year. We are breaking the end of August for our WDW trip. Could some wonderful person please give me the link for the EPCOT unit study :)

We will be starting in a couple of weeks. For you experienced h/s moms could someone reassure me that even though I am homeschooling and my dd will miss out on having a "first day of kindergarten" that I won't be scarring her for life. :) I just remember loving school and I'm sad for her that she won't get to experience this!

Also, just curious if anyone has used Five in a Row, McRuffy Math, or click-n-kids.

Thank you so much!

We will be starting in a couple of weeks. For you experienced h/s moms could someone reassure me that even though I am homeschooling and my dd will miss out on having a "first day of kindergarten" that I won't be scarring her for life. :) I just remember loving school and I'm sad for her that she won't get to experience this!

Also, just curious if anyone has used Five in a Row, McRuffy Math, or click-n-kids.

Thank you so much!

I experienced the same thing the first few years we homeschooled (we are on year 6 now), I think it goes back to my own childhood memories! I loved my 1st day of Kindergarten, but it soon got so boring. I remember so many of the kids just sobbing for their parents! Believe me, she will not miss a thing. Make her first school day with you something special! Make a special breakfast, make a big deal about starting Kindergarten! We don't do that anymore, my next two kids just kind of slid into starting school (We're pretty laid back in my schooling style.) Now we try to have a special non-school day on the day they start public school around here. Kind of a "ha-ha, look at all those poor kids in the government school while we are getting ice cream and going to the park for longer than a 20 minute recess" day.

Love Five in a Row! Just finished vol. 1 with my 6yo son. I was hoping to find vol. 2 or 3 used but they are hard to find! Not sure if I'll go ahead and order one of them from Rainbow or just keep having ds6 hang out with us while we finish up Sonlight Core 3 or start him on SL Core K. Decisions, decisions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter