Homeschool Chat Part III

Hang in there. There are days when you wonder what you signed up for.:flower3:

You gotta try high school math and then doing 2nd grade math at the same time. :eek: You should have seen my head spin:rotfl:

Something you may want to try for your game "Does it belong", laundry. Having them seperate the clothes and help with that. Having the kiddos help with laundry, dishes, grocery list, cooking, anything to do with the running of the house can be counted towards school. It is practical ap of home economics.

Have the kiddos works together when possible like with the journal.

Enlist DD to teach the youngers their easier subjects so that you can get bills or something done.

Use art for instruction: make out of clay something that starts with the "ph" sound, draw about the books just read

For your son, make sure he is expending energy. I have found that my DS can focus, be more helpful, and learn more after he exercises. Wall sits, runs, jumping jacks, plank. And on his worst days, he will stand while doing school and do exercises.

Sometimes, school happens in the car, at the library, or under the kitchen table. So think outside the box when it comes time to do school. Maybe do it outside at a picnic table, finding things that work with your phonics/reading lesson.

Good luck you can do this:thumbsup2

Thanks so much. I think we've found our grove. It's still tough to get my son moving but he's getting there. We are in a nice routine. My son just started throwing up so probably no school tomorrow. Dd has the shakes too. Oh well. Back at it Monday.

We have had a pretty good, but late, start this year. We are reading Kingdom Keepers as our book this year. :). I'm still searching for the right math and history books, but were doing good.

Btw, my son enjoys listening to Disney music on Live365 while were doing schoolwork :) :)

We are new to homeschooling this year (4th and 2nd grade) do you have a budget you care to share that you spend each year? I'm a little overwhelmed with the cost of all this! (And yes, I know my children are worth it, but the funds only go so far) :)

How does everyone keep the relatives/neighbors/friends from interrupting their school day? I hope someone has exp. with a situation like mine. BTW-we have homeschooled all along. DS are 16 and 18 so HS.

I have stopped taking calls during the day from people(unless DH) so that has helped over the years. the kids friends are older now, have activities,homework,jobs... so they text instead of showing up "to play".

The big problem is my parents. They moved here a few years ago after retiring and want to come by most days. They used to come by around 3/4 so I could work with it but it still was disrupting as we weren't always done or I may have shopping/errands to do for the day. They want to sit and chat and have a snack.

Last year they started showing up early in the day. They would just sit right down at the table where we are working and chatter! Go make some tea, get a snack, walk the back yard, see what we have in the pantry or frig...even just them sitting there is disturbing, the dogs gets riled up and wants to play...that kind of thing.

I have asked them not to come over during the day and they just do. We've been thru this time and time again. Now my sis is living with them and she comes as well and is a total chatterbox. I am at a loss short of changing the locks and alarm code to keep them out. I 've told them, texted them, even put up signs saying we are "in school-come back later" on the doors?

If Anyone has ANY suggestions, I am happy to try them. This has me very stressed.

I again texted them before starting school and they still are doing it.

How does everyone keep the relatives/neighbors/friends from interrupting their school day? I hope someone has exp. with a situation like mine. BTW-we have homeschooled all along. DS are 16 and 18 so HS. I have stopped taking calls during the day from people(unless DH) so that has helped over the years. the kids friends are older now, have activities,homework,jobs... so they text instead of showing up "to play". The big problem is my parents. They moved here a few years ago after retiring and want to come by most days. They used to come by around 3/4 so I could work with it but it still was disrupting as we weren't always done or I may have shopping/errands to do for the day. They want to sit and chat and have a snack. Last year they started showing up early in the day. They would just sit right down at the table where we are working and chatter! Go make some tea, get a snack, walk the back yard, see what we have in the pantry or frig...even just them sitting there is disturbing, the dogs gets riled up and wants to play...that kind of thing. I have asked them not to come over during the day and they just do. We've been thru this time and time again. Now my sis is living with them and she comes as well and is a total chatterbox. I am at a loss short of changing the locks and alarm code to keep them out. I 've told them, texted them, even put up signs saying we are "in school-come back later" on the doors? If Anyone has ANY suggestions, I am happy to try them. This has me very stressed. I again texted them before starting school and they still are doing it.

So what happens if you don't answer the door? Or if you answer, but turn them away - "sorry, we'd love to see you, but legally we have to finish our school day."?

We are new to homeschooling this year (4th and 2nd grade) do you have a budget you care to share that you spend each year? I'm a little overwhelmed with the cost of all this! (And yes, I know my children are worth it, but the funds only go so far) :)

Do you have any homeschool stores / used bookstores in your area? We have a store in my area that you can buy and sell your used schoolbooks and that is my foremost resource! Stores like half-price books or amazon are good for used books, too. Anything I can't find used, I research curriculum that I like that is in my budget and stick with that. My other huge resource is the library! I know not everyone has a good one near them but I have been surprised how much curriculum I've found through there. Many of my science books, the grammar curriculum I use for my DD, geography studies and all books we use for reading are "real books" that we get there. I just renew as needed. Using a "real book" school approach vs. solely textbook helps with that, too. There are many affordable unit studies online and lots of free stuff too, though I use those mostly as supplements.

How does everyone keep the relatives/neighbors/friends from interrupting their school day? I hope someone has exp. with a situation like mine. BTW-we have homeschooled all along. DS are 16 and 18 so HS. I have stopped taking calls during the day from people(unless DH) so that has helped over the years. the kids friends are older now, have activities,homework,jobs... so they text instead of showing up "to play". The big problem is my parents. They moved here a few years ago after retiring and want to come by most days. They used to come by around 3/4 so I could work with it but it still was disrupting as we weren't always done or I may have shopping/errands to do for the day. They want to sit and chat and have a snack. Last year they started showing up early in the day. They would just sit right down at the table where we are working and chatter! Go make some tea, get a snack, walk the back yard, see what we have in the pantry or frig...even just them sitting there is disturbing, the dogs gets riled up and wants to play...that kind of thing. I have asked them not to come over during the day and they just do. We've been thru this time and time again. Now my sis is living with them and she comes as well and is a total chatterbox. I am at a loss short of changing the locks and alarm code to keep them out. I 've told them, texted them, even put up signs saying we are "in school-come back later" on the doors? If Anyone has ANY suggestions, I am happy to try them. This has me very stressed. I again texted them before starting school and they still are doing it.

Bless your heart! That's tough. My mom and my brother live in our basement. Yeah. My mom I'm fine with cause she just can't afford to stay on her own with her fixed income. My brother is another story...

Anyway, sometimes I get so annoyed. Sometimes they make a lot of noise or my mom is chatting with my daughter when she's supposed to be working. My brother -even though his heart is in the right place- literally stands over my son(who has ASD and loses focus easily) and asks "what ya doing?"). Ughhhhh!

I have an idea or two. Maybe nothing but just a thought...had you thought of heading to the library a day or two a week? Maybe a nearby bookstore? The library is a good quiet place for schoolwork. You could also head to the park if the weather is nice. If you aren't there then they can't interrupt :)

To momimouse27...your brother sounds like my dad! I am happy to hear that I am not the only one with that issue!

Also about not answering the door , they have had a key and alarm codes since they lived with us when first moving down. They stayed about a month and after the first week we gave up on school for the most part until they moved out. None of us got sleep because they are up and down to get snacks , watch tv, bathroom,...ALL NIGHT LONG . That was a very long month.

When the boys were little we used to go to the beach, park, poolside...to do schoolwork. Now a lot of the work is PC based as well as books.

I called my parents yesterday to discuss then again sent a text to confirm what I had said. I know they feel hurt but hopefully get past it.

We are just starting up again-we went thru July this year. My son had a friend staying with us 10 days prior to starting college at the end of August , then a week vacation, then my DS18 had surg(on his nose and sinuses) so he is just getting to where he can look down a little to write.

This is DS18 last yr - I am kind of sad. I really enjoy being able to spend this time with my boys and realize it will only be me and DS16 next year.

We will onli do 1/2 days for about a week to ease back in. I am just working on getting the oys back to a normal wake time- today I dragged them out of bed at 10! And to eat in the AM before school. I think we'll start with just math, language, sci, all the favorites for right now.

:). Now I feel better about oversleeping til 10:30 this morning!

Good luck with everything. I also have 17 yr old daughter whose almost done :(. I'll be sad when she's gone.

I have a 4th grader. We do History and Science using books from the library. Her Math (Saxon) and English (Rod & Staff) I have purchased used from a facebook group. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I try to stay under $300 for 2 kiddos. Had one in high school. Now I'm down to 1 and aim to stay under $150. This just includes books and school supplies. I often shop sales. I second looking for homeschool groups that have used curriculum sales. I also make use of the library for reading books and other non consumable items. We get a lot of science and history from there.

How does everyone keep the relatives/neighbors/friends from interrupting their school day? I hope someone has exp. with a situation like mine. BTW-we have homeschooled all along. DS are 16 and 18 so HS.

I have stopped taking calls during the day from people(unless DH) so that has helped over the years. the kids friends are older now, have activities,homework,jobs... so they text instead of showing up "to play".

The big problem is my parents. They moved here a few years ago after retiring and want to come by most days. They used to come by around 3/4 so I could work with it but it still was disrupting as we weren't always done or I may have shopping/errands to do for the day. They want to sit and chat and have a snack.

Last year they started showing up early in the day. They would just sit right down at the table where we are working and chatter! Go make some tea, get a snack, walk the back yard, see what we have in the pantry or frig...even just them sitting there is disturbing, the dogs gets riled up and wants to play...that kind of thing.

I have asked them not to come over during the day and they just do. We've been thru this time and time again. Now my sis is living with them and she comes as well and is a total chatterbox. I am at a loss short of changing the locks and alarm code to keep them out. I 've told them, texted them, even put up signs saying we are "in school-come back later" on the doors?

If Anyone has ANY suggestions, I am happy to try them. This has me very stressed.

I again texted them before starting school and they still are doing it.

I was going to suggest the library. I totally understand the need for computer time. Having some work done in the car while enroute there. DS, only 8, gets alot of reading done in the car. Saves my sanity:rolleyes1

The other thing I would suggest would be to schedule a "date" with family. A luncheon. Yes, school is important but so is time with family and reinforcing those relationships. Or enlist family in getting kids to volunteer in the community.

I would also have family assist in teaching and taking kids to activites.

If at all possible, try to think out of the box when it comes to school time. Why does school have to be between 8-3??? Maybe online work can get done, after dinner or on Saturdays. But only if that works for you. Don't know if that is possible. We have had that capability. To schedule at off times.

For all of you that have a teen in 9th +, what do keep records of? My son is in 8th but advanced in math. Just started thinking about keeping records for college. What do you need for your child who wants to attend college? I keep everything, but just wondering how you show that you did x amount of math, english,etc? I'm sure they will get tested too,(SAT), but I want to make sure that I'm teaching and showing proper work. Thank so much! New at this!

Not sure what state you're in, but mine allows us the authority to create and sign our own transcripts. Many of the colleges here have really been forced to accept homeschoolers over time because there are so many. I'm working on making my daughters transcript since she's a senior this year. HSLDA has some examples you can go by, I think.

I'm in NJ. So you just make your own transcripts? Did you have her tested(LSAT,SAT) Or what ever they're suppose to take. Also did you use certain books for high school courses? I was thinking of getting him Saxon math for Algebra. Does it matter what books you use for high school? Sorry so many questions. I'm freaking out. I doesn't help that all of my friends and family think I'm crazy for home schooling. Even my kid's doctors look at me strange. I think my kids happiness is important. They hate school. My oldest ds13 has social issues, he was picked on and my dd10 has ADHD and cries every day before school. She wants to be home schooled asap. So far it is going good with ds,though he finishes the work really quick. He's reading Ender games for reading. He does math and science every day. He does writing assignments every other day. I just have to figure out social studies.

I'm in NJ. So you just make your own transcripts? Did you have her tested(LSAT,SAT) Or what ever they're suppose to take. Also did you use certain books for high school courses?

I've found this site has great info for homeschooling high school that is not state-specific.

My daughter "graduated" in May from homeschooling. She was accepted at every college she applied to with transcripts that I created, plus SAT scores. I used our state's graduation requirements as our minimum, and looked at each specific college's recommendations for admission to go from there. Every college is different in what they want, and most have specific requirements for homeschoolers (sometimes different than those for traditionally-schooled students, sometimes not).

Start keeping track now by a simple spreadsheet, and start investigating now as to what colleges are looking for. My role as the parent of a homeschooled teen was all about "guidance counselor" and less about "teacher," but when considering the college application process, that is an equally important role.

I live in GA and we're required to test every 3 years with a standardized test. We used Iowa testing through BJU. This year her "test" will be her ACT test. We won't be done until summer because she's behind on her math credits.

I live in GA and we're required to test every 3 years with a standardized test. We used Iowa testing through BJU. This year her "test" will be her ACT test. We won't be done until summer because she's behind on her math credits.

We have the option (in Louisiana) to either test every year, submit a portfolio or have a certified teacher write a letter. So we do the IOWA testing. Hopefully taking the Iowa will help with the ACT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter