Homeschool Chat Part III

I have been homeschooling my son from the start, he is now in the 5th grade.
I have been thinking a lot lately about him not graduating 8th grade. He has no interest in going to school, he is fine with the homeschooling. My DD just graduated high school and I also think about the dances and graduation he'll miss if he continues not wanting to attend the school.
I have no regrets homeschooling him and as long as he is happy that is all that matters.

Look for an active homeschool group in your area.

We have one in our area which has a prom at the end of Senior year, as well as a graduation ceremony and Senior trip.

hsmamainva said:
Look for an active homeschool group in your area.

We have one in our area which has a prom at the end of Senior year, as well as a graduation ceremony and Senior trip.

In addition, our state association, the Florida Parent Educators Association, holds a formal dinner at the convention each year. You might see if there's something similar offered in your state.

How do you find a homeschool group in the area? I try and google them but nothing of any relevance is coming up. I went to Yahoo groups but that was muddled.

Have any of you used Horizons from Alpha Omega? If so, what are your thoughts? My cousin recommended I switch my son from Abeka math to Horizons for 3rd grade. She is a math teacher and she felt the transition from Abeka to Saxon's higher level math was more difficult than the transition from Horizon's to Saxon for higher level math. My cousin teaches Calculus and tutors in Pre-calc, trig, alg 1 and 2. She also felt the bright colors of the 3rd grade math would keep my son's attention better too. She liked the way Horizons is set up and how it recinforces the math concepts.

How do you find a homeschool group in the area? I try and google them but nothing of any relevance is coming up. I went to Yahoo groups but that was muddled.

Try this site: homeschool-life. Click on the "groups" link and you will get a state map. Click on your state to see a listing of homeschool groups there. Going to a certain group's site will give you more info about that group.

Hope that helps!

Have any of you used Horizons from Alpha Omega? If so, what are your thoughts? My cousin recommended I switch my son from Abeka math to Horizons for 3rd grade. She is a math teacher and she felt the transition from Abeka to Saxon's higher level math was more difficult than the transition from Horizon's to Saxon for higher level math. My cousin teaches Calculus and tutors in Pre-calc, trig, alg 1 and 2. She also felt the bright colors of the 3rd grade math would keep my son's attention better too. She liked the way Horizons is set up and how it recinforces the math concepts.

Yes, I agree with your cousin. We started with Horizons Math and switched to Saxon with our youngest child. My oldest did the Abeka to Saxon transition. My youngest is stronger in Math. (I don't know...I guess it could be just a difference in personalities.) But,for what it's worth I liked Horizons method better than Abeka also. Good luck!

Yes, I agree with your cousin. We started with Horizons Math and switched to Saxon with our youngest child. My oldest did the Abeka to Saxon transition. My youngest is stronger in Math. (I don't know...I guess it could be just a difference in personalities.) But,for what it's worth I liked Horizons method better than Abeka also. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your input.

Did you use Horizons for any other subjects?

You could also check with your local library. Many homeschool groups post flyers in the library and many librarians are familiar with homeschoolers since we're there so often. :laughing:

Try asking at your library. Just an idea!

We live in a rural area...and there are TWO to choose from (or do both as we do).

lovethattink said:

We use Horizons math and have for 6 years. Compared to other programs I've seen, it's more advanced. I think your cousin gave you good advice. ;)

Thank you for the group ideas!! I just went to the library today but when we return on Saturday, I will be sure to ask!!

Thanks so much for your input.

Did you use Horizons for any other subjects?

Yes, I did like their phonics and reading for kinder through 2nd grade. The readers were cute...my youngest needs to be entertained when he reads. LOL! But I switched to Shurley Grammar in 3rd grade, which we are currently using for 4th grade. For literature, I just "handpick" from classic books. He is reading The Black Stallion right now. Have a good day. :flower3:

Hi. I've been on the Dis for over a year, but for some reason haven't really commented in the homeschool threads. We homeschool our children and have homeschooled the teens for almost 10 years. Recently, I decided to try an online program to supplement my DD6's curriculum. She's doing K5 Learning. Had anyone used this program?

Is anyone on here from Georgia? I am about to pull out my autistic son and I've never pulled any of mine out during school before. They always started at the beginning of the year. I'm just wondering about the process. The GA law says you only have to notify the school.

I've been doing this for 11 years, and I'm so nervous about this. Nervous about him being different, about being able to get him to see me as a teacher and not just mom.

I have no clue what curriculum to use for a 4 th grade autistic child and no time to plan!

Is anyone on here from Georgia? I am about to pull out my autistic son and I've never pulled any of mine out during school before. They always started at the beginning of the year. I'm just wondering about the process. The GA law says you only have to notify the school.

I've been doing this for 11 years, and I'm so nervous about this. Nervous about him being different, about being able to get him to see me as a teacher and not just mom.

I have no clue what curriculum to use for a 4 th grade autistic child and no time to plan!

You came to the right place, they have helped me so much here. I am no help to you but I want to tell you that I just pulled my kids on Tuesday, so I know all about the no time to plan bit. I was incredibly nervous that day and the next, it took the kind people here and a good friend of mine to bring me back to earth and have more confidence! Good luck to you and you will do GREAT!

Be sure to check into your state's laws. 4th grade is usually when you have to start testing.

I've had to make several accomodations. One of the biggest lifesavers was a balance disc to put on a chair for rocking. Allow for plenty of attention breaks. In the beggining he needed them every 10 minutes, now he can usually make it an hour before needing a break. Pick your battles. Think if it's worth a meltdown or not. Homeschooling gives you the perfect opportunities to play to your son's strengths.

Thanks a lot. I am the most nervous about withdrawing him. Not sure what the reaction will be, but I'm set on it.

My son gets frustrated learning new concepts or if he doesn't want to do something. So, that will be the biggest challenge. I've been teaching my older kids so long, I forgot what it's like to teach grade school...find curriculum, etc. on the upside, there'll be more wiggle room in planning our WDW time ;)

Thanks a lot. I am the most nervous about withdrawing him. Not sure what the reaction will be, but I'm set on it.

My son gets frustrated learning new concepts or if he doesn't want to do something. So, that will be the biggest challenge. I've been teaching my older kids so long, I forgot what it's like to teach grade school...find curriculum, etc. on the upside, there'll be more wiggle room in planning our WDW time ;)

My son can be very inflexible and transitions are difficult for him. Finding social stories can help. But he still gets overwhelmed so easily.

One of the things ds gets very upset about the curriculum is when it pushes his black and white thinking to think gray. He absolutely hates when he is to write about something he is not doing. Or if he reads a sentence in a story and his name is in it, and it's telling about something he doesn't agree with.

If you can teach the new concepts by using something from his area of hyperfocus you will probably see some good results. We use alot of Star Wars and Legos in teaching different concepts.

Mine gets frustrated at math. This has led to tantrums at school, so I want to find him a curriculum that won't frustrate him. But I don't want to purchase an expensive one, since there's only three months of school left. Thinking of spectrum and possibly a math computer game.

Mine gets frustrated at math. This has led to tantrums at school, so I want to find him a curriculum that won't frustrate him. But I don't want to purchase an expensive one, since there's only three months of school left. Thinking of spectrum and possibly a math computer game.

Do you know what type of leaner he is? My son is both tactile and visual. We use Abeka because he thrives on repitition, but math is his strong suit. Often I have to use his Star Wars toys and legos to teach facts. We are doing multiplication now. My son thinks in pictures, but he couldn't form pictures of multiplying because he didn't understand it until we put things in groups. Once he could visualize it in his head he had it.

Reading is his weak point and where tantrums have ensued. He knows all the phonics rules by heart. But unless he takes a pencil and marks all the vowels and circles all the special sounds, he can't read the word. He gets so frustrated because he can't do it in his head, but he can do it on paper if he marks it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter