Homeschool Chat Part III

I actually never used any prepackaged curriculum. I felt like I had more leeway in how I taught when I mixed up what I used or did it myself. We used to use Wordly Wise for language arts and Eagles Wings and Apologia for science. When it came to history in elementary, we did unit studies. We never found a math curriculum we were happy with..usually had workbooks for that.

Haha I know the feeling, mine are age 17 and 9.

My first was headed off to college (after being homeschooled K-12) when I found out we were having child no. 4! We are starting K with him this Jan. I started homeschooling in 1993!

Thank you, now I can tell hubby we aren't the only ones ;) Not only does he tease me about converting people to homeschooling but the age difference of the kids.:rolleyes1 Dh loves to give me a hard time about whatever and he would not change anything. But sometimes, it fells like you are the only one.

:upsidedow

I have used almost all of the SL cores. (We didn't use pre-school because it didn't exist back then, and we did the combined world history called Alt. 7 instead of 2-year version). I now have two students in high school who are working on a combination of Cores 100, 200 and 400.

It took me a little while to convince myself to buy the cores back when I first started. I also have a Master's in Elem. Ed. and figured "I can do this on my own". I kept drooling over the other cores that were a bit beyond our reach at the time and figured I would just wait and begin with those. After 6 months of doing it on my own, I caved and bought SL K (sorry I can't seem to translate to the new core names). I have not regretted it for ONE MINUTE. I have loved reading to my girls, we have learned so much together, and I am amazed at how much they have retained from this curriculum. I would not hesitate one bit to buy the next core and move ahead. If you get to the point where your child's age/ability are not ready for the next core, you could take some time for other studies. (We did break a couple times to do KONOS unit studies.) If money is the issue, you could probably find used cores or just by the IG and gather the books on your own. I know that many SL users do that. I, on the other hand, still have every single SL book on my shelves at home. It's quite a collection. (Ok- there is one book that I let someone borrow and I haven't seen it in several years.)

I guess I should have looked ahead to see if you had responded since your original post. I hope you find what works best for you.

Thanks for the response! I spent some time drooling over Core C tonight, and then thinking about how I could easily do things on my own. I just don't know!

Talk to me about phonics. Here's my situation(s).

1. 5th grade boy. Can't spell worth a darn. Finally realized he has no clue about phonograms. So I want to teach him the phonograms and hopefully hel his spelling.

2. Almost 5 yo boy who is just starting to read. Knows all his letters & sounds. Can read CVC words. No in a rush, manly thinking about next year.

Honestly phonics makes my eyes glaze over. I'm more of a math & science gal. I've tried reading The Writing Road to Reading (Among others) and it all sees so complicated.

What to do?

Nicolepa said:

1. 5th grade boy. Can't spell worth a darn. Finally realized he has no clue about phonograms. So I want to teach him the phonograms and hopefully hel his spelling.

2. Almost 5 yo boy who is just starting to read. Knows all his letters & sounds. Can read CVC words. No in a rush, manly thinking about next year.

Honestly phonics makes my eyes glaze over. I'm more of a math & science gal. I've tried reading The Writing Road to Reading (Among others) and it all sees so complicated.

What to do?

Time4learning has a pretty in depth phonics curriculum in their grade 2 language arts extension section. You could do a free trial and try it out.

Nicolepa said:

What to do?

I have always used Abeka, so I can only give advice about this particular curriculum. All 6 of my kids are in Abeka and have been since K-4. All of them started reading and writing at that age. My 4yo just started in September and will be reading and writing very well by the end of the school year. My 6yo reads very, very well, his cursive writing is beautiful, and he is really taking to phonics. He was watching me sew today and not even knowing how to spell thread told me that it started with the phonics rule "thr in three". Learning the phonics rules and charts really helps! My 4th grader has a spelling test tomorrow. He is spelling words like "congratulations" and "unanimous" with ease thanks to learning phonics. I personally feel that the phonics in Abeka is excellent. It is great at building upon itself, continuing the phonics lesson throughout the subject of spelling as well. For example, whatever phonics rules they are learning in phonics will be repeated in spelling class in those early grades. Even in my 9th and 10th graders' spelling subjects, they are continuing to learn phonics rules that make memorizing their spelling words easier. I know that many homeschoolers aren't fond of Abeka bc of how much work is involved in class and homework, but it works really well for us. I personally need the organization in our curriculum/school day. However, I do make adjustments when I feel it is best for us to do so. I will also mention that none of my kids have learning disabilities. I don't have any experience with using Abeka in that situation, so keep that in mind when reading my recommendation just in case that might apply.

I don't know how to go about starting your 5th grader out with it other than going back to the beginning of the phonics rules in 1st grade (or wherever you feel he may be) and just do some every day with him in class along with his regular school work and keep building on it. Keep going over the rules with him, memorizing, writing, flash cards...whatever it takes to help him.

Jen

Nicolepa said:

What to do?

Look into Reading Works by "The Works People." They have a step by step system that uses The Writing Road to Reading and it is very user friendly! I HIGHLY recommend this. :) Edited to add: they are great about answering any questions you may have.

I don't know how to go about starting your 5th grader out with it other than going back to the beginning of the phonics rules in 1st grade (or wherever you feel he may be) and just do some every day with him in class along with his regular school work and keep building on it. Keep going over the rules with him, memorizing, writing, flash cards...whatever it takes to help him.

Jen

He is very resistant to memorizing the phonograms/rules. But he is like his mama all science.

I started going thru the Ayres word list in the back of The Writing Road to Reading. As we hit words he doesn't know I look up the phonogram and or spelling rule and discuss it with him. The first word he couldn't spell was child. So we went over the rule then a few words later we hit the same rule (which he spelled wrong). I had him tell me the rule. Then we got to school, and we talked about the 3 sounds that ch makes. I don't know how long this will last or if it will really work but it's the only thing I can come up with. :confused3

Does he read okay and just has a problem with spelling? Or is he unable to sound out words ( new and old) or does he have comprehension problems?

If his reading ability is look into a good spelling program (ones that group words by rules). Spelling and reading are two different skills...I too have had children that read well but cant spell worth a darn. It took me awhile to understand there id a difference.

If you decide he really needs more phonics training, I'd recommend this program from Saxon. It's for the older child to catch up on phonics. I haven't used it, but I've used the other lower grade Saxon Phonics (plus most of their math) and have been really happy with it. Hth.

http://saxonpublishers.hmhco.com/en/phonicsintervention.htm

Wait, I think this is the homeschool version (includes teachers manual written for homeschoolers)
http://www.mcdougallittell.com/stor...uctsBy=SEQ_TITLE&hierarchyID=1007500000077043

Their prices have gone up a lot. I'd look for a used copy and buy the worksheets at a discount supply store. I like rainbow resource.
http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/000164/6df009cfdb44c7c1dce18dbe

Does he read okay and just has a problem with spelling? Or is he unable to sound out words ( new and old) or does he have comprehension problems? .

He is a really good reader, It's just spelling. We've been using sequential spelling, bu he's hit a wall with it and is no longer learning the patterns rather guessing. With almost every. Single. Word.

I'm going to the homeschool shop today to look at options. I've stayed away from spelling programs because he's not a worksheet kid. He just get them thru as fast as he can an doesn't take the time to learn it. That I part of the reaon we air where we are. (did a phonic book wit him when he first ace homrpe)

Nicolepa said:
He is a really good reader, It's just spelling. We've been using sequential spelling, bu he's hit a wall with it and is no longer learning the patterns rather guessing. With almost every. Single. Word.

I'm going to the homeschool shop today to look at options. I've stayed away from spelling programs because he's not a worksheet kid. He just get them thru as fast as he can an doesn't take the time to learn it. That I part of the reaon we air where we are. (did a phonic book wit him when he first ace homrpe)

I'm going to be annoying and repeat myself, lol - Reading Works! He is perfect for it.

We've been through spelling difficulties also with our oldest. We found she had difficulty hearing the different vowel sounds so she really had to memorize the rules. I found a simple little book called The Child's Spelling System by Sally B. and Ralph de S. Childs. We had to use a lot of humor to get her through because she was older, 4 - 5th grade when we were really working on it. We also found that studying latin really helped.
Here is a poem that she kept on her wall:
George Carlin:

The English Plurals

We'll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes,
But the plural of ox becomes oxen, not oxes;
One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,
Yet the plural of moose should never be meese;
You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mice,
Yet the plural of house is houses, not hice.

If the plural of man is always called men,
Why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen ?
If I speak of my foot and show you my feet,
And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet ?
If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,
Why shouldn't the plural of booth be called beeth ?

Then one may be that, & three would be those,
Yet hat in the plural would never be hose;
And the plural of cat is cats, not cose.
We speak of a brother & also of brethren,
But though we say mother, we never say methren.
Then the masculine pronouns are he, his & him,
But imagine the feminine: she, shis & shim !

Let's face it - English is a crazy language.
There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger;
Neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
English muffins weren't invented in England.

We take English for granted,
But if we explore its paradoxes,
We find that quicksand can work slowly,
Boxing rings are square;
A guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.
Why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing,
Grocers don't groce & hammers don't ham ?

Doesn't it seem crazy that ...
You can make amends but not one amend ?
If you have a bunch of odds and ends ...
And get rid of all but one of them,
What do you call it ?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught ?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables,
What does a humanitarian eat ?

Sometimes I think all people who speak English
Should be in an asylum for the verbally insane.
In what other language do people recite at a play,
And play at a recital ?

We ship by truck but send cargo by ship ...
We have noses that run & feet that smell;
We park in a driveway & drive in a parkway.
And how can a slim chance & a fat chance be the same,
While a wise man & a wise guy are opposites ?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language
In which your house can burn up as it burns down;
In which you fill in a form by filling it out,
& in which an alarm goes off by going on.
And in closing .....

If Father is Pop .....
How come Mother's not Mop ? ? ? ?

Hang in there, she did graduate from college with a triple major and now has a great job.:banana::banana:
Susan

For your five year old, we loved using Starfall.
It's starfall.com. (sorry I can't post a link yet, soon.)
It's free!!:woohoo:
Enjoy,
Susan

I span quite year differential ;) I guess that is what is what happens when "never" happens :lmao:[/QUOTE]

Another homeschooling veteran here with the span. My oldest just turned 25, my second is 17 and the youngest is 10. So I've been homeschooling now for 15 years, where did the time go? :confused3
But, I wouldn't change a thing.

Susan

Heading to AoA in just 4 days!!!!

We've been through spelling difficulties also with our oldest. We found she had difficulty hearing the different vowel sounds so she really had to memorize the rules. I found a simple little book called The Child's Spelling System by Sally B. and Ralph de S. Childs. We had to use a lot of humor to get her through because she was older, 4 - 5th grade when we were really working on it. We also found that studying latin really helped.

Thanks. Part of our problem is hearing. He has a significant loss in the range of speech and he also has a touch of auditory processing disorder. So I never know if he spelled a word wrong because he didn't hear it or he doesn't know how. I think I just really need to hammer in the rules. The problem is I don't know the rules!

For your five year old, we loved using Starfall.
It's starfall.com. (sorry I can't post a link yet, soon.)
It's free!!:woohoo:
Enjoy,
Susan

He is just start enjoy Starfall. I guess I need to sit down and look at it more closely and see what it's all about. ;-)

I span quite year differential ;) I guess that is what is what happens when "never" happens :lmao:

Another homeschooling veteran here with the span. My oldest just turned 25, my second is 17 and the youngest is 10. So I've been homeschooling now for 15 years, where did the time go? :confused3
But, I wouldn't change a thing.

Susan

Heading to AoA in just 4 days!!!![/QUOTE]

Mine are 12, 10 and 4. Having my oldest so close (22 months) about did me in. That's why the "baby" is so much younger!

Thanks. Part of our problem is hearing. He has a significant loss in the range of speech and he also has a touch of auditory processing disorder. So I never know if he spelled a word wrong because he didn't hear it or he doesn't know how. I think I just really need to hammer in the rules. The problem is I don't know the rules!

Some of the dictionaries still have a section that have all of the rules. Starfall does have little songs, but I think you'll need more advanced stuff for your son. I would actually ask your local librarian to see if the library has something you should borrow. I have found the children's area librarians to be so glad to help us in all the different libraries we have frequented.

Susan

Some of the dictionaries still have a section that have all of the rules. Starfall does have little songs, but I think you'll need more advanced stuff for your son. I would actually ask your local librarian to see if the library has something you should borrow. I have found the children's area librarians to be so glad to help us in all the different libraries we have frequented.

Susan

I don't think my local library even has librarians anymore, and it doesn't have a dedicated children's librarian. Seriously.

The main one in the county I know has librarians (one used to be my nanny on her days off), but it's not on the packed agenda today. I'm hoping the homeschool resale store will be able to help me. If not I can at least touch and feel some things.

Of course my big guy woke up with a really bad headache so I don't know if we will even be able to go out for very long. :-(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter