Homemade FE Gifts Photo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plans for the adults of the group is to write their names in Japanese Calligraphy, either first names or family name (depending if I can translate their name into Japanese characters or not).
Example: http://amunet022.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/d1bs8b8
They would not be in a big frame, but a small matte with organic paper, and the paper would be colored.

I'm also planning to purchase small jars of honey (1.5oz) from Logan, UT. Which is where DH and I lived for about 3 years AND where our university is from which we are graduating (which is the purpose of our cruise, a graduation present to us). I still want to keep Disney theme, so put a sticker of Pooh on the top of each jar and attach a small card to explain the significance of the honey.
These would also be going to the adults.

So, what do you guys think? Is that a good idea? I was really stumped as to what to do for the adults and this is my solution ^_^ This is my first ever FE, so feedback would be lovely!

The honey sounds like a great idea. Just check w/ the requirements for bring food on board the ship. I guess if it is sealed it would be ok?! But I am not sure. Maybe you could find an image of Pooh wearing a graduation hat.

I'm having trouble with the teen ideas, too, because they aren't as easy as the little ones.
I asked my sister what she would like if she was on the cruise (she's 15). She gave me some good ideas for the tween/teen girls (jewelry!).
As for the guys, she thinks lanyards would be good and/or keychains.

The honey sounds like a great idea. Just check w/ the requirements for bring food on board the ship. I guess if it is sealed it would be ok?! But I am not sure. Maybe you could find an image of Pooh wearing a graduation hat.
Okay, I will. I figured it would be okay with everyone allowed to bring wine/mixers onboard ... just as long as it fits in the carryon.

Haha, the grad pooh sounds like a cute idea! I'll see if I can find it :)

Actually, I put DS12 on the hunt in his memory for it's location....... in case anyone else is wondering.[/QUOTE]

Sure my DS would love to get pressed pennies from DCL! I haven't seen any, we were on the Dream in July. He loves collecting these in WDW!

Okay, so I'm uber excited and thought I would share a few of my FE ideas ... to get some feedback :)

IF YOU ARE ON THE APRIL 22ND MEXICAN RIVIERA CRUISE, DO NOT READ BELOW!
And don't click the link either :p

In fact, I'll just make it invisible :p

My plans for the adults of the group is to write their names in Japanese Calligraphy, either first names or family name (depending if I can translate their name into Japanese characters or not).
Example: http://amunet022.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/d1bs8b8
They would not be in a big frame, but a small matte with organic paper, and the paper would be colored.

I'm also planning to purchase small jars of honey (1.5oz) from Logan, UT. Which is where DH and I lived for about 3 years AND where our university is from which we are graduating (which is the purpose of our cruise, a graduation present to us). I still want to keep Disney theme, so put a sticker of Pooh on the top of each jar and attach a small card to explain the significance of the honey.
These would also be going to the adults.

So, what do you guys think? Is that a good idea? I was really stumped as to what to do for the adults and this is my solution ^_^ This is my first ever FE, so feedback would be lovely!

I would be thrilled with any/all of your ideas! They're all out of the ordinary and personal.

I don't think you would have any trouble with the honey. I've never cruised before, but from what I've read, food items that are sealed are OK.

Have a Magical cruise!

Okay, I will. I figured it would be okay with everyone allowed to bring wine/mixers onboard ... just as long as it fits in the carryon.

Haha, the grad pooh sounds like a cute idea! I'll see if I can find it :)

I know I read on the DCL and on here that food has to be factory sealed in manufactor packing. When I read your original post, I imagined canning type jars of honey. (don't ask me why!).

I would be thrilled with any/all of your ideas! They're all out of the ordinary and personal.

I don't think you would have any trouble with the honey. I've never cruised before, but from what I've read, food items that are sealed are OK.

Have a Magical cruise!

Awe thank you! Well, now I'm doubly excited to make them :banana:

I know I read on the DCL and on here that food has to be factory sealed in manufactor packing. When I read your original post, I imagined canning type jars of honey. (don't ask me why!).

Oh, haha! Yeah no, I don't know how to can stuff myself. It will be sealed, straight from the manufacturer :)
The trick is getting it on the airplane without paying for check-in ....

AND I've started working on my actual FE ... I'm really excited. It's rather simple but nice :)

Awe thank you! Well, now I'm doubly excited to make them :banana:

Oh, haha! Yeah no, I don't know how to can stuff myself. It will be sealed, straight from the manufacturer :)
The trick is getting it on the airplane without paying for check-in ....

AND I've started working on my actual FE ... I'm really excited. It's rather simple but nice :)

Not to be Debbie Downer but I would think honey would fall under the 3oz liquid rule of the TSA. Double check that too before you decide to purchase all that honey.

Not to be Debbie Downer but I would think honey would fall under the 3oz liquid rule of the TSA. Double check that too before you decide to purchase all that honey.

Just my 2 cents - what we were told by a TSA agent is that "if it doesn't hold it's shape without the container it's in, it's considered to be a 'liquid, aerosol or gel' "

Thank you all for the tips!! :)

The containers are 1.5oz. I know that is under the 3oz rule and figured that I could put it in the quart bag like normal (half in mine and half in DH). Though, Honey might look odd as a carry on and that would be a waste.

Judy, I think I'll check and see how much it would be to ship it.

Thanks for the ideas and concerns everyone! :)

The containers are 1.5oz. I know that is under the 3oz rule and figured that I could put it in the quart bag like normal (half in mine and half in DH). Though, Honey might look odd as a carry on and that would be a waste.

I just assumed you would have 50 containers to try to get on the plane!! Good luck!

You can CHECK them in your regular luggage-size doesnt matter for checked luggage, and then put them in your carry on for the ship, assuming you are flying in the day before. We always rearrange our carry on stuff-our carry on from the plane is not all them same carry on that we "carry on" the ship.

You can CHECK them in your regular luggage-size doesnt matter for checked luggage, and then put them in your carry on for the ship, assuming you are flying in the day before. We always rearrange our carry on stuff-our carry on from the plane is not all them same carry on that we "carry on" the ship.

Yeah, that's what we do as well :)

I'll probably end up shipping the Honey to the hotel. I called and it's fine :)

It would be cheaper to do that then paying $25 one way for a checkin bag :eek:

Hi everyone!:wave2: Let me first say this is an AWESOME thread! It's taken me about 4 days to get thru it! o_0 hehehe....

I have a few ideas for FE gifts that I'd like to get opinions on if you all don't mind.. I won't give my cruise date info just in case some of my fellow cruisers on wondering around on here.. ;)

I was thinking of giving as part of the cabin gift a photo matt already signed by some of the characters.. ???
I was thinking for the women as part of their gift, giving them a Disney/Mickey themed Coupon book.. ???? My husband says this is not a very good idea since not all women use coupons. But I thought maybe if they didn't they could use it to store receipts or recipes..
I was also thinking of making (with my Cricut) a card/post card fromt the city port your visiting with picture tabs already in place (to insert your own pic) and stamped envelope so that when your in port you can mail it off to a loved one or friends.. My husband says this one is a hard one since some either may want to keep the card for themselves or not have or want to take the time to print a pic..
* I hope these ideas make sense.. I am in the process of making samples of these ideas and will post as soon as I'm done, but would really like to know what others think. I would like to try to give things that will be used, and I know I would use these but don't know that anyone else would..
Thanks so much for your input! Husbands can't always be trusted on their opinions! :lmao: You guys are GREAT!!!!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Hi everyone!:wave2:
I was thinking of giving as part of the cabin gift a photo matt already signed by some of the characters.. ???
I was thinking for the women as part of their gift, giving them a Disney/Mickey themed Coupon book.. ???? My husband says this is not a very good idea since not all women use coupons. But I thought maybe if they didn't they could use it to store receipts or recipes..
I was also thinking of making (with my Cricut) a card/post card fromt the city port your visiting with picture tabs already in place (to insert your own pic) and stamped envelope so that when your in port you can mail it off to a loved one or friends.. My husband says this one is a hard one since some either may want to keep the card for themselves or not have or want to take the time to print a pic..

The photo matte is not a bad idea, just curious how you will have the signatures already on the mattes? Computer generated??

The coupon book is a cool idea, especially since you can use them to keep your receipts (read cruise receipts) in one spot.

I agree w/ your husbands assessment of the card/postcard. (ie printing/inserting a pic).
I am making postcards for my cruise. I saw an image on here that someone created (got permission to use it) added the ship and date information. Printing them as 4x6 photos.. I created a 'postcard' back that I will print out on cardstock (place stamp here is a Mickey head!). Attach photo to cardstock and viola postcard!!! I have to pick up my first attempt of the photo this morning. (fingers crossed!)

Hope that helps!

The photo matte is not a bad idea, just curious how you will have the signatures already on the mattes? Computer generated??

The coupon book is a cool idea, especially since you can use them to keep your receipts (read cruise receipts) in one spot.

I agree w/ your husbands assessment of the card/postcard. (ie printing/inserting a pic).
I am making postcards for my cruise. I saw an image on here that someone created (got permission to use it) added the ship and date information. Printing them as 4x6 photos.. I created a 'postcard' back that I will print out on cardstock (place stamp here is a Mickey head!). Attach photo to cardstock and viola postcard!!! I have to pick up my first attempt of the photo this morning. (fingers crossed!)

Hope that helps!

Thanks Dislaney4n6, that definitely does help!
Regarding the signed photo matt: I had a large one signed in Jan on my cruise and since then I have been practicing (copying) all the signatures I received and am pretty close to getting them perfect... :woohoo: It would look something like this...
P1010830.jpg
[/IMG]
(wish I could say that was me with Minnie, but alas.... It's my beautiful daughter ;))

As for the card/postcard, I'm now thinking you and my husband may be right.. I do love your idea and if you don't mind may just try that!

Thanks again for your input.. It is very much appreciated!

I gave postcards for our Halloween 2010 cruise. Got them for free from VistaPrint!

We mailed ours home from Castaway Cay :)

I looked into VistaPrint. How did you get them for free? When I created a 'free' item, I could only do one, and then still pay an arm and leg for shipping.

TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter