• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Home resorts???

Iamthequeen

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure where to post this, so if it needs to be moved, ok.

DH and I are getting ready to purchase DVC. The discussion we are having is which resort to buy into. We can get more bang for our buck by buying at Saratoga Springs rather than say, Animal Kingdom. My question is, how difficult would it be to book Animal Kingdom at the 7 month window for the first week in September? Or any of the other resorts other than SS? I don't have any objections to staying at SS and I know we would be able to book there at 11 months. I would really like to stay at BWV or BCV during one of our trips, but am concerned whether I'd even be able to book for our preferred time, which is the first week in September.

Thanks for your help.

booking at the 7month window usually is ok unless it is a really popular time of year.

i.e. Christmas/Food and Wine/Free Dining

I own at SSR and all of trips for the past several years i have gottne my 7 month booking window request either for April or December. I have stayed at the following all at 7 months
AKV
BCV
VWL
BWV
OKW
This upcoming trip in December i booked SSR at my 11 month and tried some others at 7 months and waitlisted BWV and BCV and neither has come through yet. I only did this becasue the 1st week of december is also the week after Thanksgiving this year and will more than likely be booked up and i was right. There is not a DVC room to be had that week at any resort. The best advice is to buy where you want to stay. I happen to love SSR for many different reasons which is why i bought there. if i ever decide to buy more i might only buy at BCV. Thats my second favorite

BWV - standard
BLT - standard, TPV
AKV/jambo house - value

are all hard to get at 7 months

BLT and BCV are hard to get - but possible (BLT LV)

------------
SSR - has the most rooms/villas
OKW - second - most rooms/villas
AKV - third

you can get AKV - Savannah view - fairly easily most of the time - however it will cost you more points.

these weeks you will probably have to be happy at SSR or lucky

New year -
MLK birthday
Palms and easter weeks
July 4 week
food/wine festavial
from thankgiving until new year - (depends upon when thanksgiving week is - if the 3rd week of Nov - that 4th week can be easy)

Dec is probably the most popular with DVC members (not regular WDW guests) so many a new DVC member has been disappointed with not being able to get their Dec week.

if you want a week in Dec - do it at 11 months - even for SSR

with your first buy would probably go with SSR or any place that no matter what happen you will be happy staying there.

now I wanted standard view at the BLT - so that required me to buy especially during Dec.

love BLT!!!! so no regrets

When you are new to DVC you really don't care where you stay.

As you spend more time at WDW and the DVC resorts, you begin to change. You develop a sense for the resort differences and you identify your favorite resorts, rooms, and views. You will spend less time in the parks and more at the resort.

As time goes on availability at 7 months continues to shrink and Disney will continue to come up with new ideas to increase attendance.

:earsboy: Bill

My question is, how difficult would it be to book Animal Kingdom at the 7 month window for the first week in September?

for a standard/savanna view villa, it should be pretty easy (unless things change). AKV is a pretty large resort (kidani is much larger than jambo house.)

for a club level villa (there are only 5 2BR lockoffs classified as club level - i.e. very, very few) or a value villa (depending on the size you are looking for, there are probably 10-18 value villas available), there is a lot more risk that AKV owners will have completely booked up those rooms. i have gotten a value studio a couple of times as an OKW owner, but i have been shut out as well. so if you are planning to get club/value villas at AKV on a regular basis, you really should buy at AKV.

I've said this in other posts, but I appear to be in the minority, so most of the advice you will get is buy where you want to stay. I can't argue with that philosophy.

However, we bought into DVC 10 years ago, and SSR was just being built. We got in for 79 dollars a point, I believe that was the deal. I did not know about these boards at the time, but we just knew we would want to vacation at WDW, and with a daughter on the way thought it would be the perfect thing to share as a family.

It has been 10 years and I don't have a single regret about buying in. $79 a point was a good price and we have gotten so much joy out of returning practically every year. For us, it has been a great decision.

We have stayed at SSR, OKW, AKV, BWV, and want to do them all. We have for the most part vacationed in the fall, so not the busiest time of year. BWV & BCV are difficult because of the food and wine festival. We have never had a problem at the 7 month window getting OKW or AKV.

With that said, it can be difficult to get what you want at the 7 month window.

My attitude is that I am staying in Deluxe accomodations in WDW. How many people are lucky enough to be able to do that? For me, I am happy to stay at SSR which I think is a beautiful resort. I also enjoy being able to walk over to DTD for a quick bite to eat or a few beers. I am a golfer, so having a golf course at the resort is a big bonus for me. My wife is a runner and the grounds provide some nice scenery for her to do her morning jogs.

All the resorts we have stayed at have been great. We like some better than others, but have no regrets about SSR as our home.

I've said this in other posts, but I appear to be in the minority, so most of the advice you will get is buy where you want to stay. I can't argue with that philosophy.

However, we bought into DVC 10 years ago, and SSR was just being built. We got in for 79 dollars a point, I believe that was the deal. I did not know about these boards at the time, but we just knew we would want to vacation at WDW, and with a daughter on the way thought it would be the perfect thing to share as a family.

It has been 10 years and I don't have a single regret about buying in. $79 a point was a good price and we have gotten so much joy out of returning practically every year. For us, it has been a great decision.

We have stayed at SSR, OKW, AKV, BWV, and want to do them all. We have for the most part vacationed in the fall, so not the busiest time of year. BWV & BCV are difficult because of the food and wine festival. We have never had a problem at the 7 month window getting OKW or AKV.

With that said, it can be difficult to get what you want at the 7 month window.

My attitude is that I am staying in Deluxe accomodations in WDW. How many people are lucky enough to be able to do that? For me, I am happy to stay at SSR which I think is a beautiful resort. I also enjoy being able to walk over to DTD for a quick bite to eat or a few beers. I am a golfer, so having a golf course at the resort is a big bonus for me. My wife is a runner and the grounds provide some nice scenery for her to do her morning jogs.

All the resorts we have stayed at have been great. We like some better than others, but have no regrets about SSR as our home.

Each resort has something different to offer, you were fortunate to buy SSR and you love SSR. Many may buy at the least expensive resort expecting availability at their choice of resorts at 7 months or less. That may or may not happen and based on other posts and owners who I have talked to, some are disappointed with the availability.

The choice is pretty clear, buy where you love to stay or take your chances and buy somewhere else.

My question is, how difficult would it be to book Animal Kingdom at the 7 month window for the first week in September? Or any of the other resorts other than SS? I don't have any objections to staying at SS and I know we would be able to book there at 11 months. I would really like to stay at BWV or BCV during one of our trips, but am concerned whether I'd even be able to book for our preferred time, which is the first week in September.

For information you are seeking, go here and see my post #6: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=49515781&posted=1#post49515781

At least buy somewhere you don't mind staying if you can't change that reservation at seven months out.

Thank you all for your input. I would be perfectly happy buying a large number of points at SSR or OKW, however my dh isn't interested in one of those as our home resort. Guess we will be looking for AKV or BWV.

Once again, thanks for your help.

We own at Saratoga. I think it depends on how and when you want to go to Disney. The first week of September is usually one of the slower times especially if Labor day is later in the first week. It also depends on how far in advance you book. We have stayed 3 times at AKL concierage which seem to be the most difficult res to get. We usually go the 3rd week of Aug to the first week of September. The other thing is Disney has been offering free dining at the end of summer so it seems to make it easier to get a reservation. We have stayed at them all except Wilderness Lodge, Hilton Head, and Hawaii. We even have a res at the Grand Floridian the first week of December.

We own at Saratoga. I think it depends on how and when you want to go to Disney. The first week of September is usually one of the slower times especially if Labor day is later in the first week. It also depends on how far in advance you book. We have stayed 3 times at AKL concierage which seem to be the most difficult res to get. We usually go the 3rd week of Aug to the first week of September. The other thing is Disney has been offering free dining at the end of summer so it seems to make it easier to get a reservation. We have stayed at them all except Wilderness Lodge, Hilton Head, and Hawaii. We even have a res at the Grand Floridian the first week of December.

Years ago, October to early Dec were really slow times, too. But no more. Disney gets smart.

My question is, how difficult would it be to book Animal Kingdom at the 7 month window for the first week in September?

Thanks for your help.

Coincidently, I've booked at less than 2 months out for early September for several years recently (including this year and last year). Southwest seems to offer big sales for flying from our area in September. Last month I stayed at AKV-at Jambo. They had both standard and savannah studios at both Kidani and Jambo house 2 months out. However, a few weeks beforehand I was toying with changing over to Kidani so I checked again. Kidani still had savannah view, but not standard. Yet Jambo still had both. Value studios-forget it. I think you need to book 11 months out for value accommodations.

Thank you all for your input. I would be perfectly happy buying a large number of points at SSR or OKW, however my dh isn't interested in one of those as our home resort. Guess we will be looking for AKV or BWV.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Each resort has something different to offer. IMO you need to take them for a test drive before you buy. Most people take a car for a test drive before they buy and they are spending $40,000. Disney vacations can cost you $200,000 plus.

Each resort has something different to offer. IMO you need to take them for a test drive before you buy. Most people take a car for a test drive before they buy and they are spending $40,000. Disney vacations can cost you $200,000 plus.

I agree try them first. We bought a small amount at AKV in 2008. Hands down that is our favorite resort! A few years later we got an awesome deal privately and added on at OKW. Only stayed there one night. Use other resorts always even during May, June and December.

Just my opinion, we don't care for BWV. We love the view of the boardwalk and the easy walk or boat to Epcot. However, we don't care for the look and feel of the resort itself and lack of dining inside the resort.

I agree try them first. We bought a small amount at AKV in 2008. Hands down that is our favorite resort! A few years later we got an awesome deal privately and added on at OKW. Only stayed there one night. Use other resorts always even during May, June and December.

Just my opinion, we don't care for BWV. We love the view of the boardwalk and the easy walk or boat to Epcot. However, we don't care for the look and feel of the resort itself and lack of dining inside the resort.

We love BWV, it's our favorite of all of the WDW DVC resorts. We also own BLT and we don't care for the look and feel of that resort.

Another example that trying before you buy is important.

Free Dining does not affect DVC since DVC reservations can't get it.

Correct i was merely just giving examples of popular times of the year. But yes DVC'ers do not get free dining how silly of me to say such a thing let me go punish myself:lmao:

Good Luck to the OP being a DVC member is an amazing feeling and all the resorts really are fantastic. I will stick to my recomendation of buying where you like to stay though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter