Home Resort? Which one and why?

We first bought at BCV and I like it well enough. It seemed like a good, safe choice. I like the proximity to two parks, as well as the Boardwalk area in general. And the pool is awesome! BUT, here's what happened... the first time we went to use our points coincided with the opening of VGF and I was able to switch our reservation there... Once I stayed there, there was no turning back. So a year or so later, we bought points at VGF. We mostly stay at VGF now, as long as we can get a reservation there. I like being on the monorail (although now that the kids are outgrowing the stroller, perhaps that will change). I love all of the restaurants at GF, Poly, Contemporary, and FW area. I love being near the Magic Kingdom. And most of all, I love being next to the Wedding Pavilion.

I bought SSR because I stay in a 1 bed in summer and can book any resort at 7 months, so spending any more would be a waste of money for no advantage. I also like SSR and certainly would not mind staying there if I go at peak DVC times.

One thing I can tell you is that your favorite home resort will not necessarily be the one you think it will be. I own at OKW, BLT, VWL and Poly, I LOVE BLT, I so wish I had more points there, the walk to MK, the lower point standard rooms (which you need to own there really to book), the monorail, the food options, and the 1 bedroom layouts, love it all. I also really like VWL, though funny enough it was the reason I originally bought DVC though it would our third different home resort (meaning it took us awhile to add on there). Poly is probably my least favorite, and if I could trade I would trade my poly points for BLT points in a heartbeat, I made the mistake there and bought purely on emotional, "love the polynesian" reasoning. Do I like it? Yes. But really poly is just a fancy hotel room, not really anything like the other DVC's. In the end I am really glad I went the way I went, which is we started with a tiny 25 point contract and slowly added on where we wanted to, THAT I would do no different, it lets you get a feel for what you like and what you want, without a MASSIVE upfront cost.

I have to add, I am not sure I would be paying the direct prices that Disney is offering today, the only contract I paid more than a $100 for was Poly, all the others were significantly under $100, and all but the first 25 were direct.

Jennifer

One thing I can tell you is that your favorite home resort will not necessarily be the one you think it will be. I own at OKW, BLT, VWL and Poly, I LOVE BLT, I so wish I had more points there, the walk to MK, the lower point standard rooms (which you need to own there really to book), the monorail, the food options, and the 1 bedroom layouts, love it all. I also really like VWL, though funny enough it was the reason I originally bought DVC though it would our third different home resort (meaning it took us awhile to add on there). Poly is probably my least favorite, and if I could trade I would trade my poly points for BLT points in a heartbeat, I made the mistake there and bought purely on emotional, "love the polynesian" reasoning. Do I like it? Yes. But really poly is just a fancy hotel room, not really anything like the other DVC's. In the end I am really glad I went the way I went, which is we started with a tiny 25 point contract and slowly added on where we wanted to, THAT I would do no different, it lets you get a feel for what you like and what you want, without a MASSIVE upfront cost.

I have to add, I am not sure I would be paying the direct prices that Disney is offering today, the only contract I paid more than a $100 for was Poly, all the others were significantly under $100, and all but the first 25 were direct.

Jennifer
IMO essentially 100% of new buyers will not truly know what their preferred resort will be though many will think they will though some will luck out and get it right accidentally. That's one of the reasons I think they should go resale. Better to spend $80 a point on SSR and have the lowest dues than $175 on Poly or similar and have higher dues if it doesn't work out perfectly. The risk and cost to changing out by selling and rebuying is a lot less and one has just about as much chance of being satisfied at one end as the other. Obviously some will have more information, knowledge and experience and will generally make better decisions IF they can control the emotions of the process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter