How do you and your spouse own your home

• As tenants in common

• As community property

• Other - please state

• No idea

Results are only viewable after voting.

DevilDuckie

<font color=CC00CC>I'm the cute one<br><font color
We're buying our home and got asked how we wanted the property ownership handled and honestly, we hadn't thought about it. No, I am not using the DIS to make the decision, but I'm curious about this.

I'm pretty sure ours is "tenants in common with rights of survivorship" but I'm not sure what the difference between that and "community property" is, exactly.

I'm pretty sure ours is "tenants in common with rights of survivorship" but I'm not sure what the difference between that and "community property" is, exactly.

Yeah, I'm researching that online right now.

Actually you want joint tenancy with right to survivorship....not tenants in common....joint tenancy with right to survivorship means that the property immediately goes to the surviving tenant.....tenants in common means that each one has a right to sell their interest without regard to the other tenant.....so if you're a married couple you want joint tenancy with right to survivorship

You seem to be missing "Joint Tenancy", which may possibly be covered by the term "community property" in your state, but I've never heard it described thusly. Joint tenants each own 100% of the property (in theory), but share equally in their ownership during their lifetimes. Essentially, if one passes on, there is no need to probate the property because it is still owned 100% by the surviving individual. Several states, including my own (MI) recognize this form of ownership as the one most beneficial to married couples and create a special form of ownership just for spouses called a "Tenancy by the Entirety". That is what myself and my husband have.

Joint tenants, with rights of survivorship

(this is the one you want -- it avoids probate)

Joint tenants, with rights of survivorship

(this is the one you want -- it avoids probate)

I think ours is owned as "Tennants in Entirety" but it was a whopping four years ago and I do not remember the exact term. Whichever it was, the idea was that the surviving spouse would automatically have 100% ownership.

Mikeeee

Actually you want joint tenancy with right to survivorship....not tenants in common....joint tenancy with right to survivorship means that the property immediately goes to the surviving tenant.....tenants in common means that each one has a right to sell their interest without regard to the other tenant.....so if you're a married couple you want joint tenancy with right to survivorship

Oops, sorry, that's what we have... "joint tenancy with rights of survivorship".

This is what you would want if you were in Illinois:

TENANCY BY THE ENTIRETY

The final form of holding title under Illinois law is a hybrid of joint tenancy that is reserved only to married couples and provides extra protection to marital property. The form requires the "four unities" of joint possession plus a fifth: marriage, must be present to hold title in this manner.

This method of holding title has all the benefits of joint tenancy in that the survivor of the first owner to die will take title to the entire property outside of probate, but it also includes the additional benefit of protecting the property from some creditors. A home held as "tenants by the entirety" may only be reached by creditors of joint debts of a husband and wife. In the case of non-joint debts of a husband and wife, the property may not be partitioned, sold, or encumbered without the permission of both spouses. Further, neither spouse may convey their half interest without the consent of the other.

The courts of the State of Illinois have determined that specific terminology must be employed to create this form of tenancy. The deed must indicate that the parties are married and specify the exact words creating the tenancy. A typical grantee clause in a deed would look like this: "to John Doe and Jane Doe, his wife, not as tenants in common, nor as joint tenants with the right of survivorship, but as TENANTS BY THE ENTIRETY."

Every state has its own laws concerning the way deeds are made out, check and see what terms your state uses but this is the general idea.

Ours is Tenancy by the Entirety. As other posters have said, it's a special form of ownership available only to spouses (and I believe it's only available to spouses while they are married to each other. It's been a while since I took the bar exam so don't quote me on that.).

We've never even heard this question so I'm guessing Washington's laws more or less bypass the issue? :confused3 This is a community property state, and everything we own is community property.

http://mlshomequest.com/content/view/11/27/

Did some digging and came up with this link. It looks like "Community Property with rights of survivorship" is probably the way to go for most folks here in CA.

If you live in any community property state, and you do, then that is what you want.

In our state the property is automatically transfered to the surviving spouse but we also have trusts set up so either of us can die :laughing: without any tax implications or going into probate. For us, this was the best solution.

For anyone who is concerned with this subject I urge you to find a CPA and Estate Attorney to not only set up wills but to help you set up any trusts to make sure that everything you want will be followed through after your death.

Ours is Tenancy by the Entirety. As other posters have said, it's a special form of ownership available only to spouses (and I believe it's only available to spouses while they are married to each other. It's been a while since I took the bar exam so don't quote me on that.).

As far as I know,you are absolutely correct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter