• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Home made autograph book help!!!! Possible to seal the cover???

cheerbop

DIS Veteran
I decorated the cover with scrapbook paper and scrapooking stickers and some raised foan letters.
Is there any way I can "Seal" the cover to keep it clean and possibly help the things not come off.
While we are in Disney, there will be many hands touching the book, so I was wondering if there was any way to protect it?
Thanks!!:thumbsup2

I usually put a coat of Modge Podge over mine when I finish decorating. A thin coat and let it dry completely. We've had good luck with ours even with the constant touching and pulling in and out of bags.

get Mod podge, use a foam brush to apply thin layers (about 6 )and spray the acrylic sealer to keep it from being tacky. Make sure your layers are dry before applying the next coat, it doesn't take long. I have not tried it on the foam letters but it should work. Make sure you get good coverage around the edges of the stickers to keep them from peeling.
mod podge can be found at ACMoore and Michael's in the glue section or the decoupage section (just ask if you can't find it)

and Walmart(in the craft section)

Baby wipes work well for cleaning them, I got sharpie marks on our clip boards that were mod podged and it cleaned right up.

I made a similar autograph book and used Modge Podge to seal it. The only problem is now it is "sticky" and wants to stick to the table, other papers, etc. What did I do wrong and does anyone have any suggestions?

I made a similar autograph book and used Modge Podge to seal it. The only problem is now it is "sticky" and wants to stick to the table, other papers, etc. What did I do wrong and does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't think you did anything wrong. Mod=podge can take quite some time to completely dry. If you're living someplace where it's humid it may take a bit longer. My jar is at school, but double check the label to see what it says about curing time.

Is there a place you can leave it where there's good air circulation? If you did both front and back covers, setting it up like an a-frame so it's not resting on a tacky side?

get a can of clear acrylic sealer, Plaid makes a good one, and have someone spray the book for you or spray it outside with a mask on since you are pregnant.
This should take away the tackiness. You didn't do anything wrong it's just the product. Plaid also said to reduce the tackiness you can lightly sand each coat with fine grade sand paper of fine steel wool.

OK, I bought some of the Mod Podge at Hobby Lobby tonight and will try it tomorrow. I got the glossy finish or whatever it is called. Will that work ok? I think my bottle says to let sit for 15-20 minutes between coats. Should I let it sit for longer to be sure it is dry?

20 minutes would be more than enough. Try to do it in a room with A/C or with a window open if it's not humid. A bit of forewarning though, the glossy smells worse than the matte. Not terrible but not pleasant either.
Try sanding it in between coats. That may help.
Let me know if you need anymore help. the kids start school tomorrow but I should be around sometime during the day.
Oh and thin coats, if it gets too thick it will dry opaque and will take forever to dry.

OK..I just did my first coat and am freaking out because the paper I covered the book with is bubbling :sad1:
I am hoping I didn't do anything wrong. Is it going to stay like this??? I wish I would have taken a pic of it before I did hte mod podge because now it doesn't look as nice.
HELP?!:confused: :confused3

what did you use to adhere the paper with? If you can, wait til the glue dries and see if you can pull the paper off and and adhere it with mod podge. This may tear the paper though so it is a risk.
Or try to smooth the bubble to the edge of the book to get it out. Or poke a hole in the bubble and it might smooth out that way.

I put pin holes in them--nothing. Tried to remove paper---it won't budge.

It was applied with permanent scrapbooking glue tape stuff (can't remember what it is called--it is on a wheel thing)

I have 2 books that I applied scrapbooking paper, scrapbooking stickers and raised letters to...
One of the papers I applied it didn't bubble as much, but it is MUCH thicker paper. The thinner paper bubbled alot in quite a few places.
I am so bummed that it looks like this now.:sad1:

Any other tips? I am thinking I just have to make do...

how big are the bubbles?

Can you cut a slit in them with an exacto knife and maybe they will lay down?
I used thin paper on my clipboard, and I got bubbles but for some reason I don't remember them staying as the glue dried. When you get the paper wet again with more glue it might smooth out or will at lest become flexible enough to manipulate the bubble.

I wish I could help more but without actually being there I'm taking educated guesses. I'm trying though! :hug:

how big are the bubbles?

Can you cut a slit in them with an exacto knife and maybe they will lay down?
I used thin paper on my clipboard, and I got bubbles but for some reason I don't remember them staying as the glue dried. When you get the paper wet again with more glue it might smooth out or will at lest become flexible enough to manipulate the bubble.

I wish I could help more but without actually being there I'm taking educated guesses. I'm trying though! :hug:

I think part of the problem is that I can not smooth the bubbles out because of the raised letters and stickers kind of "holding" the paper in place...??? Maybe next time I do something like this I will mod podge the paper onto the book first and smooth it, then apply mod podge on it first and smooth again, THEN apply all the embellishments, then mod podge again.

I SO thank you for the help:hug: . I am going to keep working on it, though after now doig a second coat I still see lots of them. ACK! My 3yo won't mind, but I will!:rolleyes:

I think part of the problem is that I can not smooth the bubbles out because of the raised letters and stickers kind of "holding" the paper in place...??? Maybe next time I do something like this I will mod podge the paper onto the book first and smooth it, then apply mod podge on it first and smooth again, THEN apply all the embellishments, then mod podge again.

I SO thank you for the help:hug: . I am going to keep working on it, though after now doig a second coat I still see lots of them. ACK! My 3yo won't mind, but I will!:rolleyes:

I think this is a good plan. IME doing the initial gluing on of the paper, less is more. But getting it on evenly is the most important.

I don't know about you, but I'm my worst critic. Maybe it's not as bad as what you're seeing, KWIM? :hug:

get a can of clear acrylic sealer, Plaid makes a good one, and have someone spray the book for you or spray it outside with a mask on since you are pregnant.
This should take away the tackiness. You didn't do anything wrong it's just the product. Plaid also said to reduce the tackiness you can lightly sand each coat with fine grade sand paper of fine steel wool.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go look for some on my way home today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter