Holy Prices Captain!

Prices have definitely risen. I guess it's a mix of post covid trying to recover, plus many people have Future Cruise Credit which is also not new money coming in for Royal. Doesn't stop us from cruising but does impact our stateroom choice. e.g. next Dec we are on Odyssey and went with 2 interior virtual rooms over 2 balcony rooms.

I've noticed that since they lifted the vaccine requirements and loosened testing requirements, prices are definitely higher.
I think that's coincidental. The cruise lines are seeing a lot of pent-up demand and feel they can get the higher prices.

I haven't been looking at prices lately, but geez they seem expensive now?! Did I miss something?

With rising prices comes searching for greater value for our money. DW and I cruise for the relaxation NOT the destination(s) and we cruise for personal attention received. NOT that we require to be waited on, more like if we have a want - then it's not a problem to provide. We've found our answer some where other than DCL and Royal.
I think that's coincidental. The cruise lines are seeing a lot of pent-up demand and feel they can get the higher prices.

r.e. bold Could be that they NOW KNOW people will pay more after missing so many vacations.

I've noticed that since they lifted the vaccine requirements and loosened testing requirements, prices are definitely higher.
that definitely played a role, but not just that.

If you remove vaccine requirements, you increase your pool of potential customers, so demand will increase.
on top of that, you have people trying to go back on doing vacations, demand will increase.

There's no question that the loosening on COVD restrictions in regards to boarding have increased demand which will drive supply and then cost but I have seen some really good prices on some of the "older" ships (Brilliance, Liberty, Mariner, etc) or less common ports (Galveston). Demand is not back to pre-pandemic levels so the fleet definitely has availability but demand is growing and prices will as well.

All your answers have merit but don’t forget the significantly increased price of fuel. These are not solar powered ships and someone- the consumer- has to pay. We had 5 RCI cruises cancelled during the pandemic so, since last Oct. ‘21 we’ve been playing catch-up just like a lot of other people. Increased demand, higher fuel prices = higher cruise prices.

that definitely played a role, but not just that.

If you remove vaccine requirements, you increase your pool of potential customers, so demand will increase.
on top of that, you have people trying to go back on doing vacations, demand will increase.
Just an FYI: I’m fully vaxxed and got Covid after BOTH my last two cruises! So did Spouse. Has nothing to do with the general post but figure it’s an interesting factoid. (I’m super careful too, so is he, being retired medical professional.)

Prices are up significantly but there are still deals to be had. We just booked a Bermuda 5 night for June that was very affordable on the Liberty. We also are planning to book the Canadian 4 night after to make it a 9 night.

It’s not the trip that we would normally take but it is affordable compared to the rising prices.

Prices are up significantly but there are still deals to be had. We just booked a Bermuda 5 night for June that was very affordable on the Liberty. We also are planning to book the Canadian 4 night after to make it a 9 night.

It’s not the trip that we would normally take but it is affordable compared to the rising prices.
Looks like we'll be on the same Bermuda cruise. I have 3 cruises booked right now (Christmas 22, June and July). This one is the only one that has dropped in price since I booked. I was able to call and upgrade to a better room category last week and knock almost 200 off the price.

My July cruise on Oasis has almost doubled in price, and my Christmas week 2022 cruise on Carnival Sunrise is up about 40%.

Just an FYI: I’m fully vaxxed and got Covid after BOTH my last two cruises! So did Spouse. Has nothing to do with the general post but figure it’s an interesting factoid. (I’m super careful too, so is he, being retired medical professional.)
My wife and I are just recovering from Covid after a 7 night sailing. We have another scheduled in March and Ive considered canceling it. I guess I’ll wait awhile and see.

we just got off a 4 night cruise on navigator and we had a total party of 32. None of us have covid and we feel great. we have been home for a week.

Very good point!
All your answers have merit but don’t forget the significantly increased price of fuel. These are not solar powered ships and someone- the consumer- has to pay. We had 5 RCI cruises cancelled during the pandemic so, since last Oct. ‘21 we’ve been playing catch-up just like a lot of other people. Increased demand, higher fuel prices = higher cruise prices.
This is a good point for sure!
What are you looking at that seems expensive?
I can't remember what I was looking at when I posted this (my apologies) - very embarrassing to say, but lots of good points above.
Will have to take a look again and see what's around

And all that included food on the cruise would be another item increasing prices I'm guessing. The price of eating out has gone up big time too.

On our last land vacation eating out was so expensive that we ended up just going out for lunch when we were out and about and went to the grocery store and did quick meals in for dinner. We had a condo, so that was an option for us. Seemed that a lunch meals out including tip were running about $25 pp in a resort area in Colorado, and we're taking burgers, sandwich, salad. Prices just took me by surprise. Dinner menu prices looked outrageous, so we just ate in.

Out of curiosity, I looked at pricing for suites for Icon of the Seas. The cost of its highest level suite (for a Nov 2024 sailing) was $40K pp !! Interestingly, the same suite was selling for $16K pp six weeks ago for the same sailing. I realize this is not be indicative of every cabin, but shows RCCL clearly uses a dynamic surge/in-demand pricing model. I would not be surprised that if someone cancels a booking for that suite the price would go down to 'just' 32K again.

On that note, I agree there are some nice deals for ships with less bells and whistles: Allure, Liberty, and any of the Radiance and Vision class ships, albeit mainly for non-summer, non-holiday times of the year.

There's no question that the loosening on COVD restrictions in regards to boarding have increased demand which will drive supply and then cost but I have seen some really good prices on some of the "older" ships (Brilliance, Liberty, Mariner, etc) or less common ports (Galveston). Demand is not back to pre-pandemic levels so the fleet definitely has availability but demand is growing and prices will as well.

Was on Mariner this past July - seemed to be a well-organized and run ship. Always people around to help, MDR seemed well staffed and organized. While older, it was amplified not long ago such that it has some of the newer features and spaces on it (e.g. Playmakers, Jamies, Bamboo room, water slides, Laser tag, escape room). If you see a deal on Mariner I would nab it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter